Return Of The King

I've been mulling over the movie since seeing it yesterday, jotting down pros and cons when I think of them. I'll probably go again this weekend. To be honest, I was a little disappointed by it, and right now I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars, or a B. There were just too many things that pissed me off, man I wish I wasn't so lame sometimes...

I saw the film this afternoon (just before I interviewed the guitarist of Gorerotted) and this is a cinematic masterpiece. I walked away in awe and teary eyed at what I believe will sweep the Oscars in 2004.

The problem with Tolkien purists is that they are just nerds who need to get out and get a life. Adapting books into movies is so difficult especially on the scale of LoTR because the two mediums are so different in their story structure. The Tolkien purists may be upset about certain ommisions and changes but in the end they will give Jackson and his writing team Kudos because Middle Earth has been delivered onto the silver screen.

As a side note: Over the last few weeks the BBC has been advertising 'The Big Read' which talks about the hundred best books ever written. Last Saturday was the major vote and the public voted 'The Lord of the Rings' as the best book ever written. To those that have not read this book, shame on you.

ChiefB said:
The problem with Tolkien purists is that they are just nerds who need to get out and get a life.
If by nerd who needs to get out and get a life you mean someone who stays home most evenings alone watching movies or reading fantasy novels, has only a few friends, and is also obsessed with a subculture of music, then hey... that's me!

Honestly, I would put myself somewhere in the middle between the die hard purists and rest.

Adapting books into movies is so difficult especially on the scale of LoTR because the two mediums are so different in their story structure.
I 100% agree. But I also think that this is often used as an excuse when it doesn't need to be. Changing structure or narrative, or removing scenes is one thing, it is another to invent things that have no place in the story. I will not accept that.

The Tolkien purists may be upset about certain ommisions and changes but in the end they will give Jackson and his writing team Kudos because Middle Earth has been delivered onto the silver screen.
Mr Jackson is very talented (in many regards) and clearly has a love for the subject. I have always stated that by making a beloved novel often considered the greatest of all time into a movie, you open yourself up for high scrutiny. It's par for the course, and I admit that I have never ever been as critical of movies as I have LOTR. That said, I do think that they are very awesome but the notion that they are infallible is laughable.

Lost In Translation is still my number one movie of 2003. :)

[random post]I've always wondered what people meant by "get out and get a life". If the nerd wants to dwell on LOTR or play video games, that what he wants to do, and therefore, has a life. It is certainly better than changing personalities to appease the "club" crowd, you know, the type of people that think The SImple Life is interesting television.[/random post]

That was good. :thumbsupsmileythatisn'tonUM: Anti-social behavior ceased being strange the first day of college for me though. Living with roommates was like a dorm, half the time I'd be out and about with 50 people, the other half I'd be holed up in my room wearing elf ears and other dorky things, or something.

Somebody asked me recently if I partied, and I said yes, if you consider getting drunk alone and yelling at inanimate objects partying. :)

I think in general terms, "get out and get a life" means "don't sweat the small stuff, kick back, have a wank, and let yourself be entertained" aka "life is too short to whinge about things that nobody gives a shit about". I'm sure there are several other translations.

I agree, jimbob. "Plastic" people are annoying, but they are also a fascinating breed. I know first-hand because my sister is one, although I don't have the heart to tell her. She has actually told me that my music sucks and that's why it's not on the radio, and that radio music must be good since the majority want to hear it. SHe also goes to the yuppie part of town to socialize, and she gets all dressed up for no reason. Like I said, it is fascinating to watch those people become completely oblivious to the big picture, while at the same time, they think they know everything.
Oh well, give me a brew, some peanuts, and a couple of movies and I'm ready to rock.

Jaykeeley said:
I think in general terms, "get out and get a life" means "don't sweat the small stuff, kick back, have a wank, and let yourself be entertained" aka "life is too short to whinge about things that nobody gives a shit about". I'm sure there are several other translations.
Perfect translation.

On the subject of books, I am currently reading the classic greek tragedies and I have to say I am blown just blown away by some of them. The fact that these were written 500 years before Christ is just astounding. For all those that have not read Oedipus The King [Rex] give this a read it will blow you away. Another great classic (trilogy) which I think is on a par to LoTR is Aeschylus's 'The Oresteia' which surrounds the curse of the House of Atreus and covers the reason why Helen left her husband Menelaus for Troy.

...on a side note I like drinking, playing video games and shagging birds and I won't say no to a fat one either! :)

ChiefB said:
Another great classic (trilogy) which I think is on a par to LoTR is Aeschylus's 'The Oresteia' which surrounds the curse of the House of Atreus and covers the reason why Helen left her husband Menelaus for Troy.
It is teh Virgin Steele!!

341701.jpg
406152.jpg

Saw it tonight. Fantastic movie. The battle for Minas Tirith was especially gripping. I really hope ROTK receives some Oscars because it certainly deserves some.

Now that it is all over, some points:

1) Did Samwise Gamgee come across as being in love with Frodo to anyone else? Yes, in the gay way.

2) Sam and Frodo cry way too much. Quit yer whinin' and get that damn ring to Mount Doom. I got tired of hearing them "Oh, it's just too much, I can't do it", "The weight is too much for me to carry, but it's my burden" etc... Get on with it already.

3) Merry and Pippin were not integral to the story, but damnit, those two ruled and Jackson made them so damn likeable.

4) Gandalf rules.

5) Legolas rules, but Gimli got on my nerves a little bit.

6) Did anyone else want to start chanting "Rudy! Rudy! Rudy!" when Sam Gamgee carried Frodo up the mountain?

7) Was anyone else waiting for Elrond to to bust out: "Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson."

8) The battle of Minas Tirith owned all kinds of ass. My blood was pumpin' big time. And that Army of the Dead was way cool.

9) Maybe I'm a bit rusty, but in the book, didn't Aragorn choose Eowyn over Arwen? I'm probably confused, though.

10) ROTK could have ended 15 minutes earlier. Some of it was unnecessary.

11) And my biggest gripe with the entire LOTR saga: The absence of Tom Bombadil. He stole the show in the first book, with his cooky songs and his passive personality. He also put on the ring and nothing happened. That was pretty important I thought.

Still, a triumph in movie making.

1) NO. Sam was a loyal servant and loved Mr. Frodo like a brother. Besides, he pimped that hot Rosy bitch anyhow, so there was no way he was gay. :)

2) I wasn't exactly jealous of their quest, I'd probably slip on the ring and use it for women's showers like in Meatballs.

3) Like all the other cast members in the Fellowship (and the whole movie really), they were perfect.

4) Yes. Yes he does.

5) I actually liked how Gimli was made a bit goofy for the movie, I thought the interplay between him and Legolas was quite effective, if not staying true to the book.

6) I damn near cried like a woman at that part, so no. Although now that I think of it, it did kinda look like a Rudy moment...

7) I'm just glad that dude's in more movies, he's one of my favorite bad guys ever as Agent Smith. Proves his worth as an actor by pulling off such a different role like Elrond.

8) My average heartrate was probably above 90 the whole movie, and around 140 during the battles. And yeah, the Army of the Dead was frickin' intense. I was afraid Jackson would have cut out that and the Paths of the Dead, but thankfully left them in.

9) Nope, he SHOULD have chosen Eowyn in the books as well as the movie, but didn't. That's my one major gripe about the movies is that Arwen's character is displayed too much, she's barely even in the books.

10) The movie was slightly drawn out, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment really.

11) I was really hoping to see Tom Bombadil in the extended version DVDs, but nay. Oh well.

I don't agree with one and two, but I did think that injecting comic relief into the story in the form of Gimli and Gollum was a bit unnecessary. The only ending I thought was tacked on was Sam and Rosie...after the Grey Havens it was doomed to lose impact, IMO at least. And I would have liked to see Tom Bombadil as well.

NAD said:
9) Nope, he SHOULD have chosen Eowyn in the books as well as the movie, but didn't. That's my one major gripe about the movies is that Arwen's character is displayed too much, she's barely even in the books.
In the books, doesn't Eowyn end up with Faramir?

I wasn't that fussed about Bombadil being removed. I actually think it's worse that they removed Glorfindel and replaced him with Arwen when saving Frodo in FotR. Glorfindel's character has so much more history (like having previously battled the leader of the Nazgul and prophecized that no "man" would ever kill him!) and is more interesting than Liv Tyler constantly saying "it is time" or being filmed in that 80's soap opera 'blur-vision'.

Also, anyone else notice how little Legolas was used in RotK? Yes, he had a few wicked key moments, but wasn't really too involved. And also, did Legolas eventually join the other elves for their final journey? Can't remember the books well enough, it's been years.