Revalver Post Gain?

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
I feel stupid for asking this but if anyone still uses revalver (lol) can anyone tell me if the post gain knob also effects distortion for the 6505 + ?

To my ears it sounds like it does effect the overall distortion but I can't find any information on it. Isn't the post gain only supposed to be a volume control?

Don't know as much about the 6505+ but on the 6505, the higher the post gain, the darker the tone. I don't notice the gain structure change very much.

Don't know as much about the 6505+ but on the 6505, the higher the post gain, the darker the tone. I don't notice the gain structure change very much.

Really? Maybe its just the 6505 + because when I turn the post gain way down to like 2 and boost the signal back up with the channel fader its not as distorted. I thought that was only supposed to be for volume unless my ears are just retarded?

Well it is simulating power tubes, so chances are they simulated the tube saturation.

You'll have to excuse my utter lack of knowledge when it comes to all things guitar, but I thought that the pre gain determined the actual distortion. Or is what I'm hearing perhaps the power tubes coloring the sound and I'm preceiving that as more/less distortion?

When an amp is cranked to shit, the power tubes add distortion too. Revalver is simulating that.

Ohh okay I got you, so for a more realistic setting I'd probably wanna keep it at actually listening volumes not at like say....10 right? Maybe like 3 or 4?

thats what makes revalver good and shit. its reacts really strong to slight changes in the post gain. i mean REALLY strong. i dont own a real amp so i cant tell if the coloration is that present by twisting the post gain by just a tiny bit.

personally i keep the volume/post gain at a point where i like the tone but due to the nature of my di tracks (which imo lack clarity) i set it below 5 but always above 4 (smaller than 5 adds air/fizz, higher than 5 adds mids and somewhat presence). as everything at any forum thats just IMO and only for my current di tracks.

btw does anyone change the internals of the amps for better results?

I usually play around wiht the pre and power tube types and plate voltage, still not THAT in depoth with the internals but it all changes things in better or worse ways