Revalver vs. Wagner Sharp MKII

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
I've been playing with the Revalver MKIII demo for about a month now, and it's quite impressive, to say the least. The tweakability of all the modules is unparalleled and it sounds great. BUT, for my bread and butter distored sound, I keep finding myself going back to the BTE TS Secret, Wager Sharp MKII, and Voxengo Boogex combination. The BTE is better than the Greener in Revalver...less harsh sounding. Wagner Sharp is better for Mesa-type sounds than the Flathill amp in Revalver. Of course, IMO. I find it much easier to get a great sound quickly with Wagner than with Revalver, and it sounds just as realistic with the right impulses (I normally use ThisOne from Guitarhack).

I'm still on the fence about whether or not to purchase Revalver. I do love the 5150 models in it, but I'm a bit sick of that sound (I sold my 5150 and bought a Mesa DR and couldn't be happier with my decision). I find myself spending too much time tweaking in Revalver instead of just playing.

I think it's pretty amazing the sounds you can get nowadays with legally free plugins.

Does anyone know what amp Wagner Sharp is based on? I'm assuming Bogner Uber, maybe?

Totally stick with Wagner dude, if you've got a Dual Rec to mic up (or run the preamp from into your interface with impulses), there is ZERO reason you should buy Revalver!