Review of the new album

Metalmilitia2000

UM's Resident Asshole
Apr 22, 2003
Maplewood, Minnesota
www.facebook.com
Ashes and Madness, Avian’s second effort, is a definite step up from the first album, From the Depths of Time. From the Depths of Time was a fine debut album, don’t get me wrong, but Ashes and Madness finds the band more in their element it seems, with more mature song writing and some incredible lead guitar work by Bill Hudson (ex-Cellador, currently with Circle II Circle and Powerquest). Yan Leviathan (rhythm guitarist, founder, and covering bass on this release) has really set the bar higher on this record with some really good song writing and direction as well. Lance King (ex-Balance of Power, ex-Pyramaze) gives a very solid performance on this album, and being known for his vocal talents for such a long time, surprises me when he also pulls double duty on this album, playing keyboards as well. Jerry B, an amazing acquisition by the band, really lays down some top notch drumming on this album, fitting perfectly with the slower and faster tempos of the different array of songs throughout the record.

Ashes and Madness starts the record out, the intro, the same one that they have used live for their past few shows, gives the general mood that Yan was trying to portray, chaos and unsettling. Lance uses a lower vocal tone for the majority of this song, and I feel that it is a killer opener for the album.

Lost and Forsaken is next, and for the first time that I can name, Lance growls at the beginning. Its very subtle and you almost wouldn’t realize it was him, but he was inspired by Chuck Billy’s performance with Testament at Chicago Powerfest earlier this year, and he decided to add that little part in at the intro of the song. Right after that, a small solo leads into the beginning of the song, which is a mid-tempo song that I consider one of the best on the album.

The next song, Into the Other Side, is my second favorite song on the album. It is the first really fast paced song of the disc, really gripping you with the opening guitar riff, which I thought was quite catchy. It also is played behind the chorus and fits very well. This song has gone over very well live the couple of times that the band has played it.

Esoteric Lies is next, starting out with Lance screaming and an immediate solo by Bill. This song goes back to the mid tempo pace that the album has been most in touch with thus far, but does find Jerry throwing down some double bass in the middle in parts. This song is very power metal in particular.

Fall From Grace is the next song, a short instrumental, with an acoustic guitar in the background behind some nicely done harmonized electric work.

Next up is Beyond the Hallowed Gates, I would call this more of a slower tempo song compared to the rest of the album. The true star on this song would be Lance, as it seems that he was spotlighted more on this song, as it all seems to be focused more on him.

Thundersoul is next, and it starts out with a cool bass intro over some background keyboard work. The guitar comes in and mimics the bass intro and it fits really well together. Lance screaming in the background over the opening riff is a nice touch as well. The song as a whole is more of a mid-tempo song, but it seems heavier than the rest of the album.

All the Kings Horses starts out with an acoustic intro laying down the tempo of the song as some lead work is done over the top of it. The song then speeds up a bit about a minute in and picks up tempo for the duration of the song. Bill lays down several short solos throughout and I think it is some of his most impressive work on the entire album here.

Never Fade From Me is next, starting out with a nice harmonized intro with two guitars. Pretty mid tempo song, but as with the beginning, has some nice harmonizing work throughout.

Lastly, closing the album, is the truly amazing Time and Space Part II: Unlock the Mystery. This is the best song on the album, hands down. It is the epic too, clocking in at over 10 minutes. It progresses from Part I that was on the first album, but completely blows it away. Not only is this my favorite song on the album, it might be my 2nd favorite of the year (2nd only to Nostradamus by Priest, heh). The build up on this song is brilliant. It has some nice subtle drumming behind Yan and Bill and then just all of a sudden breaks into double bass and a really good riff that just reminds me of really driving power metal. It brings a nice closing to such a subjectively chaotic album.

The production on this album is really great, done much better than Version 1.0 of the first album. Granted, 2.0 got it right, but this album got it right the first time. Yan and Lance really have something to be proud of here, they have written a very, very good album. Jerry and Bill also stepped in and really pushed this up a notch or two with their performances as well. Avian is finally starting to turn into a real band instead of Yan and Lance with session members, and I couldn’t be happier for them. I don’t know how Lance and Yan will top this album, its going to be tough, but I eagerly await number 3.

Brent

I sit on my workplace, downloaded your album from CDBaby. Put the files in the winamp. Press the play button and

unsuspectingly

what a sound!!!
It just blows me away.

Great guitar riffs, the bass is WOW.
Lance King's voice is awesome.
The drums and keys were also played very well.
The production on this album is way better than on the first album.
It is really a great album. :kickass::headbang:

I sit on my workplace, downloaded your album from CDBaby. Put the files in the winamp. Press the play button and

unsuspectingly

what a sound!!!
It just blows me away.

Great guitar riffs, the bass is WOW.
Lance King's voice is awesome.
The drums and keys were also played very well.
The production on this album is way better than on the first album.
It is really a great album. :kickass::headbang:

Actually I did the same exact thing! Excellent album, Lance sounds great as always. :headbang:

Well I'm not one for long reviews, but this album is definitely up there with the likes of Kamelot and Nightwish. Now I'm still new to metal (I mostly listen to power/prog. metal) but with the few acts I know of haven't made a great album like this one. Keep up the excellent work and you'll hit the big time!

Thank you and welcome to our forum Phantom (or is it Phatoosh? ;-)) - a little Zohan joke there in case you haven't seen the movie - Lance and I pretty much spent 3 years working on this album and we are very proud of our new "baby"; we are very happy at all the positive responses and reviews and that will just inspire us to make an even better cd next time!

Actually I have a question about this album too... What did Casey Grillo do for you guys? I saw that he was thanked a few times in the booklet.

Casey is a very good friend of ours and he was in consideration for doing the drums on Ashes And Madness. At the time we did not have a drummer in place and we were going to ask Casey to do it. As luck would have it, Jerry Babcock became available and we asked him to do the drums since he was interested in playing live with us as well.

So, even though we would have loved to have Casey do the drums, it made more sense to go with Jerry since he lives near us and would be able to rehearse and play live with us.

Ok, I was just wondering cause I'm a huge Kamelot fan and I recognized Casey's name. Also I'm glad you found a drummer that lives nearby, he sounds really great too.