Review & photos from London - 19/12/05

emjayhaych said:
Haha, yeah, I've heard the whole Come Clarity album, and it's not that great at all. Maybe two decent songs. Not that I had high hopes.

really? already
you torrent it? i wanna hear pm me if you can be assed
i had (extremely small) hopes they might not gay up this album so much. probably shouldn't have
if u aint gonna tell me where u got it describe it a bit yeah??

i'm in london at the moment, but i decided that it cost too much on my cheap ass holiday budget to spend 25 pounds to see em play for 40 minutes..

dont care for motorhead enough unfortunately..

seeing haunted and god forbid tonight tho, should be great, and when i land back in sydney ill see behemoth with psycroptic.. should be killer

later
Phelpsy

Yeah, it's the real deal, not torrented it, kind of wary about doing it, I'm not really a torrent seeder/starter, never done it before...

To describe it briefly...bearing in mind I'm no good at this stuff...

1) Take This Life - fast paced opener, starts with an uninspired sounding fast riff, that breaks into a much better riff, the verse reminds me of 'Watch them feed', the chorus is a mix of screamed and clean vocals... "Take this life, I'm right here...stay a while and breathe me in...*repeat*"
I must say Anders clean vocals have improved a lot, he no longer sounds as whiny, and they really are nice, to me at least. After the chorus is a great riff, unfortunately ending the song with that horrible bit that was at the beginning though.
2) Leeches - Strange song this....more use of electronics, mid paced, mix of scream and clean vocals in the chorus, but yet again, very listenable!
This is the first song where we get a solo! Not bad at all, better than anything on STYE, nice. "Spit me out, I'm glad I don't belong....It burns, it breaks me apart (?)....How does it feel to be alive"
(can't translate the chorus too well)
3) Reflect The Storm - Initially reminds me of the Quiet Place, but I like it more, nice guitar licks, decent riff, completely clean vocals on the chorus, and drawn out guitar, bit of wa-wa pedal, sounds good. Mini guitar solo, nice. I get the impression it's sad song....even though the chorus is sung cleanly, hard to tell what he's saying..."Away from the light of the sun, away, I find a way to dream" I think.
4) Dead end - first song with FEMALE VOCALS! Nice intro, good riff, heavy bassline, nice female vocals, don't know who.... quite fast paced when anders is on vocals, the chorus is both anders and the woman singing.
Nice lead guitar 3/4 way through, wouldn't call it a solo though. I like this song :)
5) Scream - Odd song, chorus is really disjointed, quite heavy though....not my cup of tea just because of the weird chorus.
6) Come clarity - Starts off acoustic, then electric guitar comes in, chilled out, followed by clean vocals from anders, and a cleanly sung chorus, possibly backed by female vocals, can't tell for sure. A chilled song for the most part. "I want you to lead me, take me somewhere, don't wanna live in a dream all day". Has a guitar solo, really nice!!!
7) Crawl through knives - kicks off with a great riff, duelling guitars, sounds good. Quite a 'bouncy' song, the chorus is clean vocals with a bit of screaming, but yet again, these are nice clean vox! "It's in my hands, the sky....so bright it's burning, it's for me...to decide...which *?* will return to light - it's my hands!" Another solo! Not bad at all, but damn it, make them longer, haha, cuts out way too soon.
8) Vacuum - another song that reminds me of Watch Them Feed, in the structure of the song....this riff is familiar somehow... nice chorus, mix of screaming and singing. Breaks into a guitar lead/solo, nothing special, but not bad. Doesn't make much of an impression on me at the moment, i'd like to be able to decipher more of the lyrics.
9) Pacing deaths trail - kicks off with nice guitar, and a riff similar to In Search For I...Love the chorus to this song, even though i can't decipher most of it, haha.... "Why can't you feel, hold on to what I believe in....I'm in a coma"? haha, nearly got it... There's a criminally short nice guitar lead, that's cut short to resume the riff and the chorus again.
10) Versus Terminus - Fast paced, good riffage, nice vocals, chorus = again - clean and screamed, hard to tell, here's my very wrong deciphering!
"See the everything go (?!), and no more pain, our lives that we know...shift your point of view, you've been warned, this one way ticket is for you" No solo on this song.
11) Our infinite struggle - good riff mid paced, with wa-wa pedal guitar intro starts us off. Guitar lead, but no solo, the chorus has a good riff behind it, double bass drumming, but not 'intense'.
12) Vanishing light - starts off promising, but bores me in the verses, decent chorus but nothing that gets me humming it afterwards.
13) Your bedtime story is scaring everyone - this is not really a song, more like an outro, just ambient noise/electronics/samples with no variation.

I told you I was shit, haha...
Well I'm goin to get some sleep now, just got back from the In Flames gig at southampton, got to meet Bjorn and have my photo with him, woohoo!

If anyone wants the album, or is prepared to seed it etc, p/me me and i can send you on msn messenger maybe.

thanks very much that was quite an effort you made!\\

how come your in southampton? just to see flames?

im going down there in about 2 hours, staying with my aunt untill i leave for sydney next tuesday..
i'll be in eastleigh or something, so if ur close by we'll have a beer or something?

if you could upload it to yousendit.com or something that would be good.. but not untill the 1st december, which is when i get home to my cable connection hehe..

im sure someone will seed it soon anyway.
cheers again
Phelpsy

ps how did you get it?

yeah, just in southampton to see in flames, we went back to bournemouth, where we live, after the gig.
I won't be in southampton at all for a while, my next gig is Dark Tranquillity/Chimaira at the Astoria on December 1st, just in case you're going to that?
Or I'm guessing by 'home' you mean Australia? :p
Yeah I might upload it to yousendit, it's not a bad file size for the whole album, only 53mb.

Well I'm not quite sure how I got it, haha... I'm on MySpace, and joined a group for In Flames, and got chatting to this guy. Then a few days ago he messages me to say he's gonna be getting the new In Flames album in a couple of hours! Apparently he was browsing a tab site, and some dude from america had posted a tab for Crawl Through Knives, so he asked the guy how he could posssibly know that song, and somehow this guy had the album, so he sent it him, and then via him I got it off msn messenger, heh.

yeah i agree with the bringer, after initially saying its not much good, your review made it sound way better than stye hehe..

as you thought, home is Sydney, so i leave from heathrow on tuesday.. soo shitty, i miss Opeth on wed, DT and Chimaira and lamb of god.. If only id stayed a week longer..!

oh well.. put it on yousend it next week sometime and pm me!! if u can be assed cheeers!