Reviews as of 10-23-04

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
Review by: Jason Brown

Friday 13th Metal Magazine- England, UKhttp://www.friday13thmetal.co.uk/

This is more like my cup of tea, I just love Progressive Power Metal like bands such as Helstar, Omen, Lethal, Psychotic Waltz, Mystic Force etc.. I tell you the American's certainly know how to create this music, I love it, why? Because the music is heavy, yet melodic and is a mixture of Maiden, Priest and the debut album by Queensryche in a heavier form. I could listen to this type of metal all day as well as the classic stuff too!! Vocally these singers tend to comes across between Dickenson, Halford and Tate and to me it suits the music well!! Katagory 5 are another band that falls into the above band, maybe not so well but they have the same ideas. This is the bands 2nd album, their debut 'Present day' was a pretty good album but suffered in the production, well it was self financed, so you can only work with the cash you have. This album however reminds me of Power Of Omens, Mercury Rising, Mystic Force for technicality. Not sure about the vocals this time around by Lynn Allers, who seems to be somewhat a little all over the place from time to time. The bass guitar lines are certainly influenced by Fates Warning (Parallels, Perfect Symmetry) era, another band I love to hear!! 9 trax of pure melodic Progressive Power Metal here and this time around it has a decent production by this 5 piece act. Trax I like are: Sands Of Time, No Response, A New Breed Of Rebellion, A Peaceful Act of Terrorism, Your Dreams, One Last Time. A great album and if you have the bands debut please keep playing this for the vocals to grow on you. I look forward to hearing the next release, best of luck to them.

Review by: Michael Schübeler
www.iron-pages.deand www.just-for-kicks.de , Germany
(Translated by Uli “Taurelin” Bauer)

If you receive two packages - announced via e-mail - with about 20 CDs on one single day, and you are supposed to review them, you just can't help but ask yourself: "Where to start?" But if one back cover features the quality trademark "MetalAges Records", the choice becomes easy. So far, Deron Blevins has only released top-products on his label, and once more - after THEOCRAZY and the ingenious POWER OF OMENS - he proves his exquisite taste again. Not only does this man have an unerring instinct for extraordinary music by extraordinary bands. But also do KATAGORY V - according to unconfirmed reports the best because the only metal band from Utah - unite everything a headbanger needs on their second album "A New Breed of Rebellion", and there's remarkably much of that on it. Even though they do not match the first-rate compositions of POWER OF OMENS yet, there are similarities in the substance and character of their songs. On a progressive-like rhythmic foundation, the two guitarists Curtis Morrell and Trevor Asire demonstrate - in a complex, yet never exaggerated, but interesting and inspired way - how melodic and emotional one can play while still remaining ultimately heavy. What I consider especially remarkable is the time that KATAGORY V grant their songs to unfold. The numerous extensive passages are the greatest highlights on the album, you can really get lost in them. The opener "Sands of Time", for example, starts slowly, with an almost leisurely pace, while still sounding powerful, heavy, and intense any second. The breaks are often "real" intermissions, temporal gaps, before they get back to merciless business again. The next track "Turn to Grey" is a bit faster, and as the shortest track of 3:41 minutes it gets to the point more directly. What is also striking are the queer verses and the hymnic chorus. A harsh contrast to that is the melancholic "One Last Time": the first 4 minutes are acoustic, before a powerful guitar line joins, without taking away depth or power of expression. Fortunately, KATAGORY V have found an excellent singer in Lynn Allers, who can vary between a normal register and higher notes without any effort. This means that his vocals are as multi-layered as the music, which makes "A New Breed of Rebellion" a true treat for the ears. 5 years after their formation and 3 years after their debut "Present Day", KATAGORY V have matured into one of America's most promising bands. Another highlight in itself is the cover artwork created by Rainer Kalwitz: it contains his unmistakable stylistic elements, but always matches the individual band. Have I forgotten anything? Oh, yeah: Join the Rebellion!!!

Review by: Andreas Thiemer
www.Metal-Crusade.de, Germany

After "Present Day", and a change-up on Guitar (Ryan Taylor for Trevor Asire); May I introduce the second album from the American Progressive-Power metalers, which is oriented on a similarly intelligent level as it's predecessor. Driving rhythms, dexterous lead guitar, as well as an extremely progressive bass and drum dynamics define "A New Breed of Rebellion", the album, as well as the highly majestic singing by Lynn Allers.

The songs are again structured with many breaks, for example "Turn To Grey", which can partially divert or distract one from the main theme. Metal Friends, who have a more straightforward taste, may have problems with the album throughout, but for Progressive fans, which are into things like Power Of Omens, will certainly find that aspect to be a newfound feast. Sound Technocrats (sound fetishists), again may be bothered by the dry production which reminds one of an earlier 80's metal Album.

I personally find "A New Breed of Rebellion" perhaps not as strong as "Present Day" because the accessible, melodic passages are somewhat rare throughout. This leads to the conclusion that they should perhaps work a little longer and intensify their efforts in order to make it warm. Noteworthy, in this case, is that this band on the other hand tramples the current trends under foot. Also, it appears that they may be making a serious name for themselves in the underground. ALLE ACHTUNG!! (Highest Regards!).

Review by: HOLGAR
www.Metal-Rules.de Germany

The second album “A New Breed Of Rebellion” by KATAGORY V from Salt Lake City definitely belongs to the field of progressive-power metal. In comparison to the debut, however, the power-metal parts clearly have been reduced. For my taste, the songs are a bit too technical. You get the impression that the musicians were eager to prove their abilities. I am a little disappointed, and I still prefer the debut. Still, this is a recommendation for all people who like bands such as DESTINY'S END, HELSTAR, old FATES WARNING or SANCTUARY. A major drawback of the album is the rather poor production. I almost believe that the drum sound is even worse than on the latest METALLICA (you know what that means). Sorry, but this really wasn't the best you could do...

Review by: Boris Kaiser
www.rockhard.de Rock Hard Magazine, German

In the year 2001 the Utah-Boys KATAGORY V released "Present Day", an absolute highlight in the field of Queensryche/Crimson-Glory-Metal. The only drawback was the slightly lame production. Unfortunately, the same problem remains on the successor "A New Breed Of Rebellion" (Metalages Records), which is nevertheless a juicy tidbit with an excellent taste for all US-Metal-freaks. It's a waste, though, that the band gets somehow sidetracked by technical shredding now and then (e.g. in 'Turn to Grey'). Straighter songs suit the band much better. Still, very cool!!!

(8/10) points

Review by: Michael Dalakos
www.theTemplesofmetal.gr Greece

People are asking me why do I feel that I am born on the wrong side wrong side of the ocean. Well except that I strongly adore (not) the presidential abilities of Junior it is known that I have a “crush” for bands that come from USA. Why is that? Well because American power metal, or what is left of it, can proudly claim to keep the term “power” in its label.

Katagory V (weird name indeed) is a proud bearer of the flag of this genre. “A New Breed Of Rebellion” is their second album, Released from Metalages Records, and compared to their first effort I think this one is twice as good! Their sound brings in mind again a fusion of Vicious Rumors (respect) and Fates Warning (of the “No Exit” Era). So as you can imagine the material here is a combination of power and technical metal. The difference between technical and progressive is that technical acts don’t waste our time usually with solos upon solos and so on.

Katagory V is technical (take the time and listen what the bass has to say in this album, Dustin you are a killer player man!) but never lucks the suitable material for head banging. The guitars are spiting riffs constantly while Alllers will bring in mind at times Mr. Alder. The production is very good, quite American I should say (melodic and powerful that is) while the artwork is very nice and a bit 80’s like.

In conclusion I am sure to say that “A New Breed Of Rebellion” will make its way in our best of 2004 list. Check it out immediately!

Review by: Thomas
www.MetalCovenant.com, Germany

Katagory V from Utah is a new acquaintance for me and I found them to sound very close to an older version of Fates Warning. Musically this goes under what the Americans would call power metal, as that genre isn't exactly the same there as it is in Europe. Progressive heavy metal with thrash as a just an important ingredient as the melodic and progressive elements, and Katagory V has the skills to make this sound good.

The music can go from calmer parts of Fates Warning and to then burst out in to more thrashier parts reminding of Nevermore, not just as melancholic though. Katagory V provides progressive and chugging music contra softer and calmer parts and it offers a real challenge for your ear, and if you are up for it you will find that this is a really great album. Complex songs and progressive structures much as on Fates Warnings album Perfect Symmetry (19xx), but they are trying to copy or steal, they are just very close.

when Lynn Allers voice close in to the high-pitches resembling those of Geoff Tate. In the track Your Dreams it is almost a copy, otherwise it is more Ray Alder from Fates Warning that is a close match, although a bit rougher around the edges and not as powerful, but still very good though. It sometimes scares me with how close to Alder he sounds. The production leaves you with much to wish for, it actually sounds as it is recorded in a basement with crappy equipment and it steals much of the attention. A fat sounding production and a better producer would have made this sound great, Katagory V in the hands of Terry Brown that does Fates Warning would have been splendid! But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the song material that Katagory V has to offer, great progressive metal without making it to complicated.

Review by: Dennis Otto
www.Metal-Inside.de, Germany

From Utah comes this bunch, homing in on old-school US-metal. They do not, though, focus on cutting power-hymns, but more on extremely melodic, progressive, and partly psychedelic songs reminding of PSYCHOTIC WALTZ or VAUXDVIHL. However, KATAGORY V can't quite come up to these reference bands yet, because the certain something is missing, i.e. the gift of writing extraordinary compositions. Songs like "Turn to Grey", the spacy title-track, "Your Dreams", "Chrono-Logic" or "In Dark Night" create a certain fascination after the second listening, which positively raises them above the standard mediocrity. But the quintet did not put a real hit or any outstanding track on this second album, and some passages sound terribly inaccessible and unnecessarily long-winded. Hopefully, the band can cope with this problem on the next release. The production does not surpass upper demo-level. All in all, the album is probably only interesting for underground freaks and US-metal maniacs. But these will - with a little patience - discover a worthwhile album, which at least scores for its almost extinct (alas, alas!) musical direction.

Review by: Christoph Lücker
www.Oblivion.de, Germany

After their self-produced debut "Present Day", Katagory V have found a label for their second album and still follow the same path as bands like Sanctuary, Lethal, and particularly Fates Warning. Technically accentuated, skilled, metallic steel of US-American character. So far, so great. But the sound flows quite shallow, especially the drums have no kicks left in this soundscape and sound quite poor (the snare reminds of a wet cardboard-box in the background, while the bass-drum comes along with an exaggerated, unnatural, bumpy click and without any bass fundament). Unfortunately, this rids the excellent material of its striking power now and then. Originally, Neil Kernon had been supposed to produce the album, but in the end guitarist Curtis Morrell carried out this job himself, which apparently was not the best decision, because "A New Breed of Rebellion" comes off rather badly, as far as the sound is concerned. Musically, it looks completely different. The technical and compositional skills show that the quintet from Utah has a lot up their sleeves, and the references above aren't too bad, are they? Moreover, Katagory V often act in a wonderfully progressive manner, which is reflected in fine but never really exaggerated technical parts. You just have to get used to the sound (even the self-produced debut sounded better indeed!) in order to enjoy the highlights in their full brilliance, such as the Fates Warning-like "No Response" or the title track, which is introduced by a beautiful acoustic guitar melody and sensitive vocals by Lynn Allers. If you do, you will definitely appreciate these progpower-creations. Very, very slim eight points - despite the sound handicap.
http://www.katagory5.comand http://www.metalagesrecords.com

8/10 points

Reviewed by: Kenn Jensen
www.PowerMetal.dk, Denmark

This is a huge step forward from their self released effort "Present Day" from 2001, that suffered from a very bad production, which can be said about their latest album "A New Breed Of Rebellion" also. This album has one the worst drum productions I've heard in a long time. And this does sadly have a huge effect on the overall impression of this album.

Another thing is the very high pitched vocals from Lynn Allers, which I am sure is not everyones thing, I knew what was coming, and think he's doing a better job on this album, than he did on "Present Day". And I do like high priched vocalists.

Musically there are some very good songs, and it's easy to hear, that we are dealing with a talented band, and that they have a lot potential, but sadly the bad production ruins things for them. But try and take a listen to the wonderful ballad: "One Last Time" or epic title track,
truely great songs.

The album has a cool cover done by Rainer Kalwitz. I wish they will receive a bigger budget for the recording of their next album, because I find them very interesting and can only suggest, that if you get a chance, then check them out because they deserve it ...

Recommended tracks: "A New Breed Of Rebellion", "Your Dreams" and "One
Last Time"

Rating: 60/100

Review by: Scott Sloan
http://spinning.neds-fox.com , USA

“A New breed of rebellion” is progressive metal similar to the newer Fates Warning (a pleasant shade of grey) material of the mid to late 90's. They are an up and coming band from Utah.

Musically the band is really tight, good rhythm section, good melodies, and powerful vocals that are characteristic of the genre. you can really hear this on the title track which is reminiscent of Queensryche's neu reagal from Rage of Order.

The only thing that i do not like about the music is that it seems that their tone is sharp, or a bit off key. I don't know why they use a lot of weird chord progressions, and strange melodies, but to me it all seems sharp. maybe that is the point with their music. They use odd chord progressions, rhythms, and other attributes which blend with their lyrics to stretch the listiner's attention span. all of this boils down to a grand progressive musical experience. I had a similar listening experience with radio head's kid a album. i tried and tried to get into it, but it was beyond my musical tastes and abilities, but i am not trying to put down artists that experiment with atonal melodies, harmonies, rhythms, etc.

Enough said, stand out cuts from this album include the title track, "a peaceful act of terrorism," "sands of time," and "turn to grey." I recommend this CD for anyone who likes Fates Warning, Nevermore, Voivod, and Flotsom and Jetsom.