Reviews as of 11-11-04

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
Review by: EC
www.maximummetal.com USA

Let me start by just stating that I am definitely not the definitive source for progressive music ramblings. I have never cared for progressive metal beyond the gates of Queensryche. I have never found the patience for "calculator metal". Nevertheless, it is my duty and honor here at Maximum Metal to try and review every single disc that arrives in our worn out mailbox. So with that being said we move on to Katagory V, a progressive metal band from Salt Lake City, Utah.

This prog rocking five-piece have released their newest creation, "A New Breed Of Rebellion", courtesy of Metal Ages Records (Division, Theocracy, Byfist). Katagory V have been around since 1999, and released their rookie endeavor, "Present Day", through Lance King's Nightmare Records label in 2001. The band got some exposure courtesy of compilations and numerous online reviews and interviews, and now has prepared their sophomore release for Metal Ages.

Upon first glance it looks like Metal Ages have spent their money wisely. The album cover and packaging for this release is very glamorous, with a nice tray inlay and a colorful booklet with detailed band photos. The album cover is very nice as well, picturing a female assassin type character holding hands with a small child as they stare off into the coming storm, which oddly enough looks like New York City collapsing. I guess that is where we get the title "A New Breed Of Rebellion", perhaps a new term for today's terrorism crisis? Clever, and intriguing.

The album was produced by the band's co-founder and guitarist Curtis Morrell. Obviously an underground act like this has a limited production budget, but the band has made do with what they have to work with. Everything sounds polished and avoids that hollow sound that most indy bands have. Vocalist Lynn Allers puts away most of my theories that progressive singers always sound soft and light hearted with his performance. With his thunderous charge on album opener "Sands Of Time", Allers' vocal register is reminiscent of Helstar/Seven Witches front man James Rivera at times.

With the opening track it seems like Katagory V might fit the power metal mold more so than the traditional progressive metal form. With both guitarists hitting the fast gallops of an Iced Earth or Seven Witches, complete with a scorching lead mid-way through, one gets the idea that Katagory V might be well on it's way to becoming a top tier US act. Other strong cuts here are "Turn To Grey", the Sabbathy "Your Dreams", and "Chrono-Logic".

Fans of Fates Warning will listen up to the title track, along with the abstract "A Peaceful Act Of Terrorism". With those types of songs, a listener like myself just gets lost, needing more metal drive and focus, but for fans of Pain Of Salvation, Kamelot, and even Spiral Architect, this will suit your needs just fine. Overall this is a high class affair and one that should land the band on a bigger label with a bigger wallet. This is definitely for fans of progressive power metal, and for those of you tiring of the German anthems, this could be a nice antidote.

Note - Look for new album "The Rising Anger" from the group in 2005.

Review by: Ralph
www.lordsofmetal.com Netherlands

Five men with beards and/or moustaches stare at me from the inlay. It is German! No, my first impression appears to be completely wrong. Katagory V is from the U.S. and release their second full length with 'A New Breed Of Rebellion'.

Katagory V does a bit of everything really, and I don't mean that as negative as it sounds. Old Queensryche influences are obvious and Fates Warning also constantly pops up. A progressive metal album with more then enough variety in it. 'Sands Of Time' kicks in pretty good and is full of weird drum fills. Still, Katagory V is a bit heavier then the bands I mentioned earlier on, 'thrashier' if you like. Think Sanctuary or Watchtower and you will get an idea of where the inspiration came from. Songs such as 'Your Dreams' and 'In a Dark Night' sound very eighties and somewhat outdated. Unfortunately, it is not all joy and glory here because the songs and the musical craftsmanship is blown to pieces by the terrible sound of the album. Guitarist Curtis Morell is responsible for the production but I think he would be better of concentrating only on things he masters perfectly (writing and playing) next time.

A fairly nice album that is ready to be re-recorded, if you ask me. That way we will all be able to enjoy it the way we should.

Rating: 68/100

Review by: Martin Stark
www.powermetal.de Germany
(Translated by Uli “Taurelin" Bauer)

After "Present Day" (2001), "A New Breed Of Rebellion" is the second album by the American band KATAGOY V. The band hails from Salt Lake City Valley in the U.S. state of Utah, where it was founded in 1999, and after the usual line-up changes there's a storm brewing now. Although the CD was already released at the beginning of this year, it took until now to enter our halls to be reviewed. KATAGORY V play typical US-metal with some progressive elements in the style of CRIMSON GLORY, HELLSTAR, or the early QUEENSRYCHE and (old) FATES WARNING. This is definitely because of their singer Lynn Allers, who often reminds me of John Arch (ex-FATES WARNING). The sound is, well, not bad, but it could still be improved, which is especially true for the drums. And if you wield two guitars, it is possible to sound much heavier. I wonder why the guitars are pushed into the background so often...

To my mind, the absolute highlight is already the opening track 'Sands Of Time', which gives you an idea of the quintet's apparent potential. It contains a crispy riff and a chorus that keeps haunting your ears. 'Chrono-Logic' is convincing as well with its excellent riffs and several (comprehensible) breaks. The final 'One Last Time' features totally different sounds, i.e. orchestral and balladesque parts in a perfect CRIMSON GLORY-manner (with Midnight singing, of course).

This means that "A New Breed Of Rebellion" is not the ultimate strike. In other words, except for some true highlights ('Sands Of Time', 'Turn To Grey', 'A New Breed Of Rebellion'), there are too many mediocre songs on this album ('A Peaceful Act Of Terrorism', 'Your Dreams'), where it is often difficult to follow the thread. The guys around the two founders Dustin Mitchell (b.) and Curtis Morell (g.) do get lost at times, so that this fair to middling result is the logical consequence. But if the same is true for the band KATAGORY V as for their website, there is definitely hope for the future, because the homepage is being reconstructed at the moment. All in all, the latest KATAGORY V album is an interesting piece of metal from the underground, which might have to fight for its listeners with a large and good competition.

Recommended listening: Sands Of Time, Turn To Grey, A New Breed Of Rebellion, One Last Time

Review by: Joe Florez
www.live4metal.com USA

Katagory V is a relatively new band looking to make a name for themselves in the metal world. Judging by the cover, I was expecting some out of this world prog/power metal. The intro sounded pretty cool because it had that symphonic/majestic feel, but once “Sands Of Time” (how original of a title) kicked in I was let down. This track sounded liked a bad Helstar tune with Lynn trying to sound like James Rivera. All I can say here, is that it’s very dated. This is the weakest power metal jam I have ever heard. The production sucks badly, the drums lack that certain something and the guitars are less than captivating too. Ok, I may be a little harsh, but I’ll stick with the CD and see if it gets any better.

Matt’s drum skills get a little progressive with “Turn to Grey”, but once again it’s all flat. My God, even the guitar solos are boring. It doesn’t look good here folks. The power metal ballad “A New Breed Of Rebellion” makes use of acoustic guitars for three minutes before the rest of the guys get plugged in. As one would guess, this is another flatliner. I am always up for a good acoustical number, but the team of Curtis and Trevor put no oomph into their six stringers. Jesus fucking Christ! I have never heard anything sound this horrendous. There are demos in existence right now that sound a million times better than this. The compositions are guaranteed to put you to sleep and as much as I hate to say this, this has to be the worst retro release of the year. From the moment you push play until the end, you are tortured with insufferable tunes that are guaranteed to make you scream and throw the disc out the window. Save your money because there is better music out there if you search hard for it. The only thing cool here is the album cover.

ouch... my god Joe, tell us how you REALLY feel buddy! :D :tickled: -Dustin

Review by: Steve Pettengill
www.seaoftranquility.org USA

A New Breed of Rebellion is the latest release from Utah based power/progressive metal band Katagory V. They have a sound that incorporates elements of Fates Warning, Queensryche and Judas Priest. Vocalist Lynn Allers sounds remarkably like Ray Alder while the band’s twin lead guitars courtesy of Curtis Morrell and Trevor Asire call to mind classic albums like Empire and Awaken the Guardian.

Do not be fooled by the portentous fanfare of the sci-fi flavored keyboards that open the album! Katagory V use keyboards so sparingly that they are all but unnoticeable. Likewise, despite the futuristic doom portrayed in the artwork adorning the CD booklet, the songs are refreshingly humanistic and dwell on the darker side of life.

"Sands of Time" sets the tone of the CD with lyrics that lament the uncertain future of the human race. Maybe that artwork isn’t so inappropriate after all. "Turn to Grey" is an excellent progressive metal rocker, chock full of jerky rhythms and unexpected time changes. "A New Breed of Rebellion" features some nice dynamics with an extended acoustic introduction that segues into a Savatage style power ballad. "One Last Time" similarly ends the album on a surprisingly pretty and mellow note and I was very much reminded of the Judas Priest classic "Beyond the Realms of Death". Katagory V are equally adept at short and fast burners like "No Response" and "Chrono-logic". One can happily bang his or her head to the frequent key changes.

My only qualm with the album is the production, which is dull and lifeless. The abysmal recording tends to seriously undermine the power of compositions like "Your Dreams" and "One Last Time". This is unfortunate as the band write some very good songs. As A New Breed of Rebellion is only the band’s second recording, I have high hopes for their

Score: 3.5 stars out of 5