In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Rhapsody - Triumph or Agony
SPV - 97582 - Sept. 26, 2006
by Amanda J. Carlson
Rhapsody_Triumph.jpg

With copyright issues forcing Rhapsody to edit their name, it seems the Italian cheesmasters have also changed much more than that. The speedy power metal style that made them a classic in the genre has dissipated into an overly operatic, slow-moving snoozefest. Is this really the same band that slayed with Dawn of Victory and Power of the Dragon Flame?

There honestly is only one song out of an hour's worth of music that can be considered a real Rhapsody – er, excuse me, Rhapsody of Fire – song. "Heart of the Darklands" has the typical dizzying guitar melody synonymous with Luca Turilli's classic style, which is what I would expect to hear in each and every song. Their 16 minute opus, "The Mystic Prophecy of the Demon Knight," (yes, the cheesy lyrical content remains strong) has some dark rockin' moments, but by this point in the album, I can't take much more of the choirs and orchestral overkill.

I'm so disappointed with Triumph or Agony. I don't want to be one of those fans that demands more of the same greatness from the old stuff, but if a band is going to change, change for the better. Replace some of those bombastic choirs with guitar and keyboard solos or something, just so it might sound a little more metal. Anyway, I'm still a Rhapsody fan, but I don’t think I can call myself a Rhapsody of Fire fan.

3.5/10

Rhapsody of Fire Official Website
SPV Official Website

Wooow... Kinda dissapointed with your views! I thought Triumph or Agony was really brilliant, and I love every second of it... I guess I like the way they're moving and you prefer the earlier stuff. I would have given this one a 10! ;)

Oinkness said:
Wooow... Kinda dissapointed with your views! I thought Triumph or Agony was really brilliant, and I love every second of it... I guess I like the way they're moving and you prefer the earlier stuff. I would have given this one a 10! ;)

Yeah I remember you raving about it, and figured you wouldn't like my review. But I know I'm not the only Rhapsody fan that thinks this album is mega lame.

Heart of the Darklands is actually pretty lame. I mean yeah, it's faster than some of the others but the chorus and pre-chorus are average. I think the best songs are actually the pop song Silent Dream, the brooding Bloody Red Dungeons which grows on you and the epic The Mystic Prophecy Of The Demonknight which slays all.

Overall, not even in the realm of quality you get from Power Of The Dragonflame and Dawn Of Victory but there is some cool tunes. A definite disappointment. This direction Rhapsody has taken not a good one. Both the speed and the catchiness is replaced with drama. Oh wait, they already had plenty of drama. No wonder this change sucks. They replaced two key elements with one element they already had.

Matt The Pirate

Oinkness said:
I wouldn't say a 10 but it's certainly a good album. It grows as you listen more.

Son of Pain brings a tear to my eye, hahah... :) But really I don't consider it a power metal album, and they've taken a more grandiose turn. It's still a really good album but not if you're looking for fast double bass and power metal stuffs. :)

Luca Turilli's Infinite Wonders of Creation is also really good, but like Triumph or Agony it also goes waaay far away from power metal. It's operatic heavy metal I think with a lot of orchestra and choir type stuff. Cool though, I love it... :)

I thought the album was just...typical Rhapsody stuff to be honest. Like with the new Maiden album....there's no extra effort or any instant classics....it's just standard issue Maiden sound, just like ToA is typical, standard, heard-before Rhapsody.

*shrugs* I still like it though

6/10