Ricky Gervais writing an episode for The Simpsons

I've been watching the commentary on the Simpsons DVDs a lot lately, shit man those fuckers are hysterical. A lot of the people that did episodes in the first few seasons have gone on to great success in other TV ventures, a real outlet that Groening provided.

People say the quality in the Simpsons has slipped, but they are still pretty good. 17 fuckin' years and counting (counting The Tracy Ulman show, when I first starting watching them :headbang: ). What other television series have lasted that long, other than Saturday Night Live?

Who else here has seen The Office? I know Russell has, but everyone should really try to watch an episode of this.

Two seasons and a one-off final episode, and that's that. It will forever be a cult tv show now I guess.

What's more remarkable is that it won 2 golden globes. (a) I didn't think Americans watched this, (b) I didn't think 99% of them would get it, and (c) it's only available on BBC America, and even I don't get that channel and I have cable deluxe. Apparently I need Direct TV...

...anway, The Office is so funny, it hurts.

Apparently they tried to make an American version and only got so far as the pilot before pulling the plug. I have no idea why you would want to take something SO British and Americanize it. Just show the original damnit!

I never found The Office funny :( whenever I think of Ricky Gervais I always think of him on Bo Selecta. Now THAT is funny! :lol:

Ohohohoho! Bo Selecta is basically a guy who pretends to be a celebrity stalker (don't know how far removed from reality this actually is though) who talks funny and has fantasies about them and will chase 'em down on the street. Then you'll have sketches about celebrities with guys in rubber masks (think Spitting Image), basically doing paeodies. Michael Jackson, Marilyn Manson, Elton John, the Beckhams, Jonathan Ross...all sorts. I don't think my words can quite do it justice, I'll chuck out random quotes later :loco:

Did Bo Selecta come out before or after The Office?

I wonder if you have to actually work in an office to get The Office. Kinda like Officespace. I wonder if non-office workers found that film funny.

JayKeeley said:
Kinda like Officespace. I wonder if non-office workers found that film funny.
quite. even if you dont work in an office like that, you usually still have to deal with some kind of corporate bullshit and idiot uper management.

There were two Christmas specials, not one, by the way, so if you missed one of them, make sure you get around to seeing it. It is probably my favourite show ever.

Ricky Gervais has brought out two live stand-up DVDs too, which are both really funny, so any fans should check them out.

Doom said:
There were two Christmas specials, not one, by the way, so if you missed one of them, make sure you get around to seeing it. It is probably my favourite show ever.
I think they adjoined the two special xmas specials together into one long episode for the DVD boxset. This boxset has everything - the making of, the video for "freelove freeway", behind the scenes, bloopers, etc. It was probably my best buy for 2004, and I'd never even seen an episode before buying it.

Oh right. I actually have the DVD boxset too, but I've only watched the Xmas specials once since I got it, so I can't remember, but they probably did though. Him and Stephen Merchant are writing a new show though apparently. Stephen Merchant always seems like a really funny bloke too whenever he's interviewed. You know he's in the Comic Relief episode (the best one) as Gareth's friend right? The one who ends up crying after Brent insults him.

Yeah, you gotta love all the extras they put on there, especially the full band version of "Free Love Freeway", haha. Ricky Gervais is a man of many talents, he was in some band back in the 80s and they actually had a song in the charts, and the video, which is pretty funny, is always dragged up on British TV whenever he's on a chat show or something.

Doom said:
Stephen Merchant always seems like a really funny bloke too whenever he's interviewed. You know he's in the Comic Relief episode (the best one) as Gareth's friend right? The one who ends up crying after Brent insults him.
Yeah, isn't he Gareth's friend, "Oggy"? He's brilliant in that cameo when he goes on about his bulbous eyes. And yes, that was the best episode, but each one is a 10/10.