TERRIBLE NEWS!

That is terrible news. He was very instrumental in my musical tastes. I used to love to stay in and listen to The Friday Rock Show. The guys voice was awesome and instantly recognisable. Rest In Peace Tommy! :headbang:

Absolutely gutted. the guy is the hero of Metal radio...
i hope you will all find a few moments to pop into the Totalrock website and leave your tributes on the relevant page just so his family know just how much he meant to all us metal fans and bands.

Tommy V was instrumental to what I love in music. When I was a kid, Friday nights were great! I have so many fond memories of hearing Tommy play, or talk about, artists that I had not heard of, but later became a huge fan of! Tommy should've got commission!
The man will never be forgotten by all lovers of Rock and Metal. He was part of the entire culture!

All my love to his family and close friends.

God Bless You Tommy ... Rest in Peace Mate and Thank You For Many a Friday Night Well Spent

R.I.P

Absolutely gutted,,,,,,, he was the promoter of heavy metal!! never saw his eyes as he was forever wearing sunglasses!! I use to listen to the Friday rock show alot in the 80's ,,, and I always remember the jingle that I think Biff did! it was in the chorus of 'Motor cycle man' by our beloved Saxon,,,,,,, but the words to the jingle were 'Rock with Tommy Vance' pure class,, does anyone else remember this? RIP Tommy,,,,,,, my heart goes out to you and your family...... thanx for introducing Saxon to many fans......

"Did you listen to the radio, every Friday night?" - Denim & Leather

Of course we did.

My favourite Tommy story is of the Radio 1 team trying to get the Donington crowd to chant "Rock with Tommy Vance", only the only thing they ended up recording was 60 000 people chanting "Tommy is a wanker na na na na"!!!
The man we all loved to hate, but undoubtably a major influence in the music industry, exposed us to bands we had never heard of, opened our ears and minds.

Will be sorely missed.
Tommy Vance RIP

First John Peel, now Vance! What a shame! Being an American, I never got to hear Vance, aside from some old BBC recordings, but I've read plenty about him in music mags like Classic Rock and CD liner notes and stuff. So even though I wasn't there, it didn't take me very long to figure out what Biff meant when he knowingly asked: "Did you listen to your radio every Friday Night?" in "Denim And Leather"! Rest In Peace, Tommy. :cry: