Riot V - Unleash the Fire

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
finally got to listen to it tonight...one of my faves of the year for me so far. Top notch from start to finish. I think it is great they are moving on still and putting out an amazing album.

anyone else pick it up yet?

finally got to listen to it tonight...one of my faves of the year for me so far. Top notch from start to finish. I think it is great they are moving on still and putting out an amazing album.

anyone else pick it up yet?

Bought it from CDJAPAN back in early September. Album of the Year for me. The album is so good my brother actually bought a copy for himself. He came to visit and heard it in the car. The same guy who complained about Fire Down Under being overplayed years ago as well. :lol:

Mine should be in soon! I ordered the Asian version, since apparently they were in a hurry to release the alum, so it got pressed with the original logo vs. the one with "V".

Of course, that means I'll be getting 2 copies - doh!

Any love for the Mike DiMeo era? I think 'Inishmore' & 'Sons Of Society' were just amazing but I've never really gotten into the old stuff from the 80's.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always had the idea that their older stuff would be kinda dated/Old Man Rock.

Like I said, I might be wrong but I'd love any suggestions on their more Power Metal-leaning stuff from the 80's/early 90's if their is any.

Any love for the Mike DiMeo era? I think 'Inishmore' & 'Sons Of Society' were just amazing but I've never really gotten into the old stuff from the 80's.

Maybe I'm wrong but I always had the idea that their older stuff would be kinda dated/Old Man Rock.

Like I said, I might be wrong but I'd love any suggestions on their more Power Metal-leaning stuff from the 80's/early 90's if their is any.
Riot is one of my all-time favourite bands so I gotta weigh in. As DMR said, Thundersteel and Privilege of Power are your albums. Have you checked out the really early stuff with Guy Speranza on vocals though? Those two aforementioned albums were my intro to Riot (and I love them dearly) but the late 70's/early 80's material just might be my favourites. If you're into old Judas Priest and mid-era Thin Lizzy then chances are, you'll dig albums like Narita and Fire Down Under too. It's got a seriously dirty, rawk-with-utmost-hardness attitude and they really pushed the envelope in terms of metal riffing and speed in those two albums, especially Fire Down Under. Plus, they're catchy as all the deadly sins and that singer has a great storytelling vibe in his delivery. Worth a look if you're into Lizzy and ancient Priest. Old Saxon too, for that matter.

Let's make it simple; check out the first two tracks plus "Run For Your Life" and you'll probably know if it's your thing or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riot is one of my all-time favourite bands so I gotta weigh in. As DMR said, Thundersteel and Privilege of Power are your albums. Have you checked out the really early stuff with Guy Speranza on vocals though? Those two aforementioned albums were my intro to Riot (and I love them dearly) but the late 70's/early 80's material just might be my favourites. If you're into old Judas Priest and mid-era Thin Lizzy then chances are, you'll dig albums like Narita and Fire Down Under too. It's got a seriously dirty, rawk-with-utmost-hardness attitude and they really pushed the envelope in terms of metal riffing and speed in those two albums, especially Fire Down Under. Plus, they're catchy as all the deadly sins and that singer has a great storytelling vibe in his delivery. Worth a look if you're into Lizzy and ancient Priest. Old Saxon too, for that matter.

Let's make it simple; check out the first two tracks plus "Run For Your Life" and you'll probably know if it's your thing or not.

Thanks for the suggestions. Funny, even though I like the mid 90's Riot, I never really went looking at their earlier stuff. I always thought I could assume what they sounded like by the fact that Eddie Trunk liked them.:err:

So I listened to the three tracks you suggested on FDU and sadly, they basically sounded like what I thought they would. No disrespect to your opinion, but I just don't like that early 80's sound that some of those bands had, where it was walking the line right between Hard Rock & Metal. Thin Lizzy, UFO, MSG, early Priest and others are important to a lot of people but I just don't care for that style. They might have bits and pieces that are ok, but as a whole they just don't do it for me.

But for the later stuff, Reale could really write an amazing riff and vocal chorus, too bad he died.

Last edited by a moderator:
but I just don't like that early 80's sound that some of those bands had, where it was walking the line right between Hard Rock & Metal. Thin Lizzy, UFO, MSG, early Priest and others are important to a lot of people but I just don't care for that style. They might have bits and pieces that are ok, but as a whole they just don't do it for me.

Gag me with a spoon you jive turkey.

:saint: