RIP David Bowie

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
Wow, I'm truly stunned to write this ... in a matter of weeks we've lost another true legend of the musical world - the Starman himself, David Bowie.

As sad as I was about Lemmy's passing I was expecting it, his health had been poor for some time but with Bowie I had no idea.

Truly shocked and saddened. Yes Bowie isn't metal (though Tin Machine was definitely hard edged rock) his influence and innovative genius influenced so many.

Rest well Ziggy - you're finally going home.

Reactions: Jono
@Jono And that's the thing with Bowie. Whilst Lemmy's influence was obvious Bowie's was more understated - his collaborative work with the likes of Trent Reznor and others defined his as an artist who simply couldn't be defined.

I think the fact so many of the metal bands I love have come out and said Bowie's influence was huge to them says enough.

Reactions: Jono
David Bowie was an absolute genius. With albums like Alladin Sane, Ziggy Stardust, Low, Let's Dance, etc. his place in music history can't be denied.

If anyone here is unfamiliar with his music, do yourself a favor and pick up a three disk set called The Platinum Collection. Excellent best of comp which also includes several deep cuts.

RIP David Bowie.

A true artist is gone.
In his final music video, he even uses his own passing as a theme, and to chilling effect.

Link

I was just thinking the other day: "How many of these truly genuine artists are left now?" How many artist, valuing art over commerciality, with a global impact are still here?

And in todays music business, is there a potential for such artists to build themselves a name and obtain a similar longevity? I doubt it.