RIP Empire

Justin G

Jul 28, 2007
Northern VA
www.facebook.com
I saw the news yesterday that VA metal institution Empire (formerly known as Jaxx) is closing its doors on May 3 (the Haken/Iris Divine show, oddly enough).

What a loss for the DC area metal scene. I do not look forward to having Baltimore and Richmond as my only metal show options. 90-100 miles either way, and through some of the worst traffic in the country.

Well, crap. I've gone from having a good venue 10 minutes away from my house to now having to fight traffic to get to The Fillmore, or worse, Baltimore. I've already done Baltimore a couple of times last year, and I hated it. This basically means I'm doing less local concerts.

Granted, Empire wasn't able to draw the acts like the Jaxx days, and more bands seem to go to Ram's Head or The Fillmore, but it still sucks.

That really sucks, as this was the closest metal venue for SkiBumMSP and I. Went to quite a few shows there (mostly during the Jaxx days). Liked hanging out with both Justin and TheLongshot (and many, many others on this forum).

Any other venue that's worth anything is much farther away. The Filmore in Silver Spring is maybe the closest, followed by the 9:30 club in DC. Baltimore is just too far for us down in Fredericksburg unless it's a really good show.

This breaks my heart. Have seen so many bands there...Live in DE now but still liked driving down there seeing shows and hanging with my old friends.

Justin is right. Empire was an "institution". Really was.

I have been working with them (more specifically one of the owners, Jason Malhoyt) since 2011-12. He has always been one of the most awesome promoters that I've ever encountered. Anytime I needed a show there, he'd make it work. I will surely miss working with him and I hope he'll still be around doing shows every now and then.

It will likely increase the touring circuit in Baltimore/Silver Springs and New Castle, DE for sure. Good alternatives in those markets. As for Virginia, Richmond is usually a bad idea, but who knows...

All of my shows AS OF RIGHT NOW will take place in Richmond instead as per Jason (again, being awesome) taking upon himself to move the show and honor all deals.
That includes the Evergrey and Enchant shows. Haken is still at Empre.

-M

For all in the mid-Atlantic that planned on coming to Empire 7 May, know that the show with Enchant and Odin's Court has been MOVED to the Canal Club in Richmond, VA. That is a little over an hour south. We have played there several times before. It is a nice place. We hope you will still come out.

Note that we just found out about this yesterday, and have no control over it. It was a surprise to us, same as everyone. :(

For all in the mid-Atlantic that planned on coming to Empire 7 May, know that the show with Enchant and Odin's Court has been MOVED to the Canal Club in Richmond, VA. That is a little over an hour south. We have played there several times before. It is a nice place. We hope you will still come out.

Note that we just found out about this yesterday, and have no control over it. It was a surprise to us, same as everyone. :(

Well, double crap. I guess everyone is conspiring to keep me from seeing Enchant, since I can't see them at RoSFest because they moved Enchant to the headline spot on Sunday, and I need to get back before then. I was hoping to see them at Empire (along with Odin's Court) but I'm not going to Richmond for that. Sorry guys.

Well, double crap. I guess everyone is conspiring to keep me from seeing Enchant, since I can't see them at RoSFest because they moved Enchant to the headline spot on Sunday, and I need to get back before then. I was hoping to see them at Empire (along with Odin's Court) but I'm not going to Richmond for that. Sorry guys.
What about Baltimore? We are there 6 May. Doors at 6. First band at 7. Only 2 bands now (possibly a third / opener to be added), so it won't be a late night.

This is a bummer indeed. I've seen countless shows there since 1998. It wasn't the best venue, but they got a lot of bands that I liked and it was 10 minutes from my house. Jaxx/Empire will be missed.

That's worse. Midweek it can take me 2 hours to get up to Baltimore, and the early start doesn't help me.

True. I have to take a half-day at work if I want to see a Baltimore show on a weekday. Otherwise I'm looking at 2-3 hours to get there from Fairfax. The whole getting up at 5:45 the next morning thing doesn't help either.

I am saddened - but not surprised - by this, seeing as Division practically lived there from 1996-2008, and we still played there pretty regularly until the new ownership came in.

I've been seeing bands there since it was the Copa. I will miss it, but to be honest I haven't been going there as much since it became Empire - not as many shows I wanted to see, and most of the ones I did go to were sparsely attended.

Well I hope someone will be joining me for the Haken show this coming Sunday. At least the place is going out in style.

Rick, if the show was scheduled for a weekend, I'd be in Baltimore in a heartbeat to see you. In order to make a Thursday show in Richmond (or Wed. in Baltimore), I'd basically have to take the day of AND the day after off from work, and I just can't make that happen. This really sucks. I was really looking forward to bringing Bret out to see you and Enchant.

I am so going to miss that place! If I was not going to be at RoS Fest on Sunday, I would so be at that Haken show - at the very least to see the place one last time. Hell, I was just chatting with a guy at the gym today that said that he may go to that Haken show. Baltimore shows are very difficult for me to get to from Fredericksburg, especially during the week. At least Richmond is a bit more do-able (and the traffic going that way is usually not as bad as going up into the D.C. area). As it stands, I do plan on going to that Odin's Cpurt/Enchant show, even though I'll see Enchant at RoS Fest (and saw them a few years ago at BARFest in San Francisco). Granted, Jaxx/Empire was not the nicest place around, but they had the shows I wanted to see and it was fairly easy for me to get to. Since it became Empire, there was just not as many of the shows that I wanted to see anymore. I guess it is an end of an era for the D.C metal scene (unless something else comes along, but not likely).

I went to one show there in 2006 & I saw Stratovarius there. Awesome, awesome show & got to meet everyone from the bank except Tolkki. Love the intimacy of the venue & how easy it was to get to. The night before I was @ 9:30 in DC to see Dragonforce so it was an awesome metal weekend for me & my brother. Hate to see it go, especially hated it when they started calling it Empire, to me it'll always be Jaxx.

Just saw this, this is sad. When I was living in Roanoke I made the trip to see Savatage on the Poets and Madmen tour and the first time I got to see Virgin Steele was at Jaxx. I am 90% sure that I saw Iced Earth on the Horror Show tour there as well. RIP.