RIP Matt LaPorte (JOP guitarist)

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Just read on FB Matt LaPorte, guitar player in Jon Oliva's Pain died. Don't know anything more. Met him a few years ago with Hawk and he was a damn friendly and down to earth guy. Another one that was way too young to go :-(

Matt LaPorte died from the effects of a heart attack. He was 42.

I remember meeting him together with carnut/Gert. Matt LaPorte was a genuine nice guy. This is not just my observation but one that everyone that ever met him is sharing. R.I.P. :(

Indeed, also my thoughts. It's a constant possibility for Jon to run into heart problems with his size. I didn't expect to see Matt go before him, so hopefully Jon will take note....
Must be hard for Jon, as very recently another very young member of his family died (the reason he didn't join TSO in Europe as planned).

This is really sad. I have seen Matt play over a dozen times probably with Circle II Circle and JOP. Last year we got to see Jon and Matt doing a clinic at a small music store. Those two together were special, much like Jon and Criss. Such a great player and overall nice guy. He really channeled Criss Oliva when he was playing the Savatage stuff. He will be missed greatly.

Jon must be crushed at this point. I hope he is doing alright. The man has been through a lot over the years.

RIP - Matt Laporte​
PICT1667.jpg

I have seen Matt at his Prog Power USA appearances, and got to work with him when he played with the Crimson Glory Midnight Tribute at PPUSA. Definitely a friendly guy, with a wicked sense of humor.