ROB CAGGIANO Says He 'Never Understood' Why ANTHRAX Didn't Want To Include Him In Son

swany76

May 4, 2008
<cough> money <cough>

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ro...t-want-to-include-him-in-songwriting-process/

Steven Rosen of Ultimate-Guitar.com recently conducted an interview with former ANTHRAX and current VOLBEAT guitarist Rob Caggiano. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

Ultimate-Guitar.com: After you finished [ANTHRAX's] "Worship Music" [album], you left the band. Why?

Caggiano: At that point when I decided to leave those guys, I just felt like I needed a change. The thing is the band was doing amazing. ANTHRAX was on top of their game. We had just come off the "Big Four" tour and all this awesome stuff happened. But the bottom line was I just wasn't happy and my heart wasn't in it.

Ultimate-Guitar.com: Why?

Caggiano: The main thing was it was never a creative outlet for me. That's something I'd been thinking about for a while — for years. It didn't happen overnight. I know to the public and to the fans it seemed like, "Wow, this came out of left field" but it really didn't. I'd been talking to those guys and I had many conversations with them over the years so the were definitely not surprised when it went down at all. Yeah, it's just something I needed to do for my own sanity.

Ultimate-Guitar.com: If you're not happy, it doesn't matter how successful you are.

Caggiano: I love the ANTHRAX guys; they're like my second family. I think they get it and they totally understand why I needed to do that. We're still cool and we still hang out and every time I see them, it's totally cool. I was just with Scott [Ian, guitar] and Frankie [Bello, bass], actually, the other night here in New York. Yeah, everything's all good.

Ultimate-Guitar.com: When you talk about ANTHRAX not being a creative outlet for you, are you talking about not being a part of the songwriting process?

Caggiano: Yeah, exactly. In ANTHRAX my role was, "You're playing the solo." [laughs] It's like, "Alright, cool." Don't get me wrong, I love playing solos. It's what I do. I'm a lead guitar player. But there's definitely so much more I can do and I had way more to say musically than what I was doing with ANTHRAX. That's basically it.

Ultimate-Guitar.com: Did you actually bring in song ideas that didn't get listened to?

Caggiano: It would never even get to that point. It's cool. That's their thing. They have a system and they have a way of working and they've been doing it like for ages. I totally respected that but after a while it just got to the point where I felt like I was going through the motions. I'm not the kind of person that can do something unless it's 100 percent. I needed to make a change and I needed to move.

Ultimate-Guitar.com: It's unfortunate that the band wouldn't even entertain your ideas.

Caggiano: Yeah, I never understood it, to be honest. I do understand it but at the same time I was with those guys for a really long time. You would think at some point along that journey, we would have collaborated on something. But it's totally cool. It is totally cool. I'm very proud of all our accomplishments and I'm so proud to be part of the ANTHRAX legacy. We braved a lot of storms and there were a lot of dark periods and great periods throughout that whole time. So I'm really proud of it.

Read the entire interview at Ultimate-Guitar.com.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inte...d_getting_my_fingers_working.html?no_takeover

Not really breaking news to me, but Rob pretty much confirms what most of us suspected. It kind of suck he never had a chance, but sometimes that's the case when you join an established band I guess.

It makes me wonder if he joined Volbeat because he will be a major factor in the writing process or if he joined because they're on the rise and getting radio airplay everywhere, something Anthrax will never have.

It makes me wonder if he joined Volbeat because he will be a major factor in the writing process or if he joined because they're on the rise and getting radio airplay everywhere, something Anthrax will never have.

I'd imagine both. As a musician you want to write music as well as play it, something he couldn't do with Anthrax. There's also bills to be paid, and whether anyone likes it or not, in the current climate he'll make a whack more money in Volbeat than he will in Anthrax. (I'd imagine he's also glad to be away from the drama that seems to follow Anthrax.)

Having worked as a 'creative' for the past 24+ years I get where Rob's coming from but I also respect how the Anthrax writing machine functions.

It's like many a time when younger I joined a team where we had a creative head who pretty much dictated everything. You just did as you were told with minimal time to show your ideas.

So I guess the idea of Jon Donais coming in now and all of a sudden given writing duties is obviously not gonna happen. And to be honest why would you? Anthrax for the bulk of their career have had Charlie & Scott as the core writing duo. Bush added his own bits and I'm sure previously Spitz and Bello have been given chances to show some small input. Frankie wrote Catharsis though right?

Frankie is credited as co-author of Catharsis and Burst, as far as I know. Spitz wrote S.S.C./Stand Or Fall (the whole song I guess) and intro to A.D.I. And the whole eight ball album and that's about it.

I always thought Frankie has a ton of input into the vocal harmonies/melodies too. I'm positive that's been said in interviews over the years.