Rob Lowe discusses release from Candlemass

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
OK, I am mixed on this one.
While Lowe did an AMAZING job vocally with Candlemass, I still don't like the fact that he claims he is "the best singer they ever had"

Secondly, and I know I have discussed this before, I found his live performance flawed a bit by the fact that he didn't learn the vocals. I know many vocalists, even original members of bands, read off iPads, lyric books, etc, on stage. Still though, you are the new vocalist of a VERY well known band. You SHOULD have learned the lyrics. You still had a lot to prove, regardless of how good your voice is.

Here are excerpts, from a recent interview:

Asked about whether his split with CANDLEMASS was an amicable one, Lowe said: "Actually, there was not a situation [that caused the breakup]. I mean, the guys decided to drop the best vocalist they ever had. It's not my problem. But you, there wasn't a situation. Everything is good, everything is kosher."

Lowe also commented on CANDLEMASS mainman Leif Edling's claim that Robert never bothered learning the lyrics to some of the band's classic songs and had to read them from a notebook while on stage. "Well, yeah. I mean, everybody reads the Bible, and I do the same thing," Lowe said. "I have my Bible, and there you go."

He did not do himself any favors with me with this interview. I actually don't have a big problem with reading lyrics on stage; if it's what he needs to do to give the best performance, OK. I'd give anything to go back in time and see Dan Swano's Nightingale at ProgPower with him reading lyrics on paper on stage. He could be surrounded by teleprompters for all I care! I just want to see Nightingale in front of me! But anyway, Rob definitely thinks over highly of himself here.

But anyway, Rob definitely thinks over highly of himself here.

Yep, exactly!!!

I will always love me some Solitude Aeturnus and his works with Candlemass.
Granted, I am sure he is sore for getting the boot, but at the end of the day he still should be more grateful of the opportunity he had that MANY vocalists would kill for.

There are a lot more back handed ways of slamming former band members.

I dont know that much about Rob personally.
Maybe he is always that "direct" in interviews?

I just want two things:

1) A new Solitude Aeturnus album

2) A new Candlemass album with Johan

Also, Candlemass could do a DVD release of Epicus with Johan... That show they did the vinyl pressing of...

Learn the fucking lyrics, at least put in some sort of effort. It seems hugely disrespectful to the band to read lyrics off the page, especially once you've been in the band for that length of time. I mean, the guitar players learn their riffs, chord progressions, melodies, leads, they dial in their tones and shit. Not memorizing lyrics (and not having an excuse like a mental disability or something) just says "I don't practice and I don't really care all that much."

I've seen Candlemass with three different singers and while none of them were less than "very good", the Rob Lowe performance was easily the weakest of the bunch.

While he is my favorite singer of the band, he shouldn't have said that. Makes him sound like an egomaniac.

I also have a problem with reading lyrics. At the pearl room show I honestly didn't notice. Don't know how when I was right in front of the stage but I didn't back then.

Wow, how could you not notice???

Before every song he crouched down for a minute ruffling through a lyric book.
At least half of every song he spent with his head down, eyes pointed at it.

I know a lot of vocalists who do this and defend it to the death, saying that even with songs they wrote its impossible to remember the lyrics.

As others said, its your damn job!!! Esp if you are in a full time band like Rob was with Candlemass.

Wow, how could you not notice???

Before every song he crouched down for a minute ruffling through a lyric book.
At least half of every song he spent with his head down, eyes pointed at it.

I know a lot of vocalists who do this and defend it to the death, saying that even with songs they wrote its impossible to remember the lyrics.

As others said, its your damn job!!! Esp if you are in a full time band like Rob was with Candlemass.

I do remember him looking down, but i guess with him it didn't bother me as much as others. I can't defend him doing it though.

I didn't care for Daylight Dies. I vaguely remember 1 of the 4 bands that came before Candlemass was okay... But I think Pate has a better memory than me on this one. I think it was... Rain, Urn, Stonefaced Nation, Daylight Dies? But yeah, Daylight Dies were lame.