Rober Plant Gig Last Week

princess_of_the_night2112

Goddess of Metal
May 23, 2005
Glasgow
Robert Plant last Saturday at The Barrowlands was absolutely awesome. I'm no kidding, my ears were ringing for about 24 hours after the gig and it wasn't from the music, ears still ringing from the thunderous applause, cheering and stamping of feet as soon as he walked onto the stage. I kid you not, it was almost deafening!!!! I've never heard anything like that in my life before - I think he was semi stunned at the welcome he got from Glasgow.

Doors opened at 7.30pm but we never got there till nearer 9pm as we were in Solid Rock. There was a support band but we missed them, so I dunno who they were. It was packed tight doon the front, managed to get about 7 rows from the stage, then this guy said I could stand in front of him and then another one said I could stand in front of him, so that was cool I was about 5th row, so that was close enough and got a pretty good view of Plant. He is still hot I'll tell you, slightly fat face, still got great hair (freshly permed like just moi) he's definitely still got it, fantastic voice, definitely still a rock god/sex god Truly a living legend. Took some pics but I'm afraid as I was sort of wrecked, only a handful are ok but will stick few on here later on today.

Think he started with Tin Pan Alley which was brilliant, then straight into Shine It All Around, now that song is fantastic anyway but hearing it live it sounded 50 times better and half way through Shine It All Around some lass down the front throws her bra at Plant which he catches. He's still singing the song holding the bra not too sure what to do with it. He said "thanks for the first bra of the night, it's a big big but I'll put it in my bottom drawer".

Third song was Black Dog (loved this slightly different version of it) it was terrific and by this time the whole hall was whipped up into a frenzy. Then a couple of post Zep songs I didn't know, then he did 7 & 7 Is, then Going to California, another couple of songs I didn't know, then What Is and What Should Never Be (superb). Another 2 songs I didn't know, then Mighty Rearranger and Gallows Pole. That Gallows Pole was mindblowing, 2nd fav song of the night. Back with an encore of another song I wasn't familiar with, then The Enchanter, finishing up with Whole Lotta Love . Whole Lotta Love starts off completely different version, sings 2 verses of it that way - then launches into it from the beginning again Zep style. Woooohoooooo all I can say was that it was pure bloody magic and it totally blew everyone away. Really thought the roof was going to come down and the floor was going tocollapse cos it was totally bouncing, the whole place was going crazy. And the last chorus of Whole Lotta Love seemed to last forever, well a good 10 minutes anyway - absolutely awesome. Whole Lotta Love definitely the best song of the night for me.

I'm sure he said he was coming back next year, so I'll be there again to see him, he was sensational. Glad he played quite a few Zep songs cos my knowledge of his solo stuff is minimal, apart from Mighty Rearranger. Youse missed a belter of a gig folks!!!!

Hey Princess,the reason Blackfoot canceled that gig was the drummer and founding member Jackson Spires passed away suddenly.A valid reason in my eyes not some silly excuse like visa trouble.Steve

Hi Spaster - Jackson Spires died a few months before the concert but they'd got another drummer (cant remember his name offhand) so the concert was going ahead. The reason it got cancelled was because Blackfoot were playing at The Renfrew Ferry in Glasgow and they had recently moved the Ferry across the other side of the Clyde and it was docked near these luxury flats. A lot of the residents there had been complaining about the excessive noise coming from the Ferry when rock bands were playing and so the Council had slapped a noise restriction on the Ferry. When Blackfoot went to soundcheck, they went above the permitted levels and therefore the Management at the Ferry refused to let them play there. If Blackfoot had organised any other venue in Glasgow, the concert would have went ahead. I would loved to have seen them play at King Tuts cos I saw Saxon last year and that place rocks.

After we got to the Ferry and found out it had been cancelled at the very last minute, we headed back to the Solid Rock pub in Glasgow. Later on that night, the members of Blackfoot came into the pub to sign autographs and get pics taken with their fans. It was quite late on by this time and pretty much most of the B'Foot fans had left but luckily enough I was still there, so I got 2 pics taken with Greig T. Walker, so that made my night.

Sorry Princess,it was just a guess.I first saw Blackfoot open for UFO in 1980 and was very impressed.I didnt realize Southern rock was popular overseas.Last week I saw the Outlaws on their 30th reunion tour and it brought a tear to my eye.Steve

To tell you the truth, I'm not really into much Southern rock but I think Blackfoot are totally amazing. They played here years ago supporting The Scorpions at The Apollo in Glasgow. I don't know why I didn't go see them then cos I love both bands - may be I was seeing Saxon that night or something, that's the only reason I can think of as to why I missed seeing The Scorps and Blackfoot. So I'd waited about 15 years to see them and I couldn't believe it when I noticed that they were playing The Ferry. It's quite a small venue for such a huge band cos Blackfoot are really popular over here but quite often its tribute bands that play at The Ferry, not really bands of Blackfoot's magnitude. I was so ultra excited at the thought of seeing themin such an intimate venue, for about 2 weeks solid I listened to all their albums and I've got some bootlegs vids as well, so I was hyped up 100% to see them. But the strange thing is that the week before concert I just couldn't imagine seeing them play at The Ferry and even before I left the house, I checked Ferry's website just to make sure that the concert was still going ahead and everything was fine. It really was just a few minutes before the doors opened that the plug got pulled on them - what a nightmare!!!

Blackfoot did try and organise another venue but it was too late really to get anything sorted and they even said they would play downstairs in the Solid Rock pub but it didn't happen.

Greig T. Walker did say to me that it wasn't Blackfoot's fault and they would come back next year cos they love Glasgow but I doubt very much if they would come back and play here after what happened. Hopefully they will, cos I would love to see them. All this happened on 30th July and I've only recently started to listen to them again cos if was just too painful. And even when I walked into the Solid Rock after being told the concert was cancelled, Highway Song was playing, I couldn't believe it, I've never heard that song in there and I nearly burst into tears.

Will post that pic of me and Greig once I can get this damn computer to do what its supposed to - the pic is coming up huge.