Rock Hard review

Mr Blackwell

Greenface
Dec 29, 2003
Vienna, Austria, Europe
Here's the Casting The Stones review from the Rock Hard magazine and my interpretation:

"Ohne viel Vorab-Brimborium erscheint nach den Very-Old-School-Intermezzi "Decade Of The Nail-Spiked-Bat" und "Chain Of Command" mit "Casting The Stones" jetzt also endlich der "Mechanized Warfare"-Follow-up. Doch trotz der drei Jahre Zeit, die mittlerweile verstrichen sind, landet der Nachfolger zweier wahrer Meisterwerke - "Thane To The Throne" und erwähntes "Mechanized Warfare" - nicht ganz im qualitativen Bull's Eye. Einem Teil des einmal mehr äußerst Midtempo-lastigen Materials fehlen leider die ganz großen Melodien, die Hymnen-Hooks, die schier unglaublichen Gänsehautmomente - das formidable 'The Mission (1943)' und der leider sehr kurze Hit 'Achilles' (ein noch nicht mal dreiminütiger Quickie) stehen in dieser Hinsicht recht einsam auf weiter Flur. Zudem merkt man bereits nach wenigen Tönen, dass Stamm-Producer Jim Morris - wahrscheinlich aus finanziellen Gründen - diesmal lediglich für den Mix verantwortlich zeichnet. Das letzte Quäntchen Druck fehlt einfach.
Dennoch: Auch mit einem für Bandverhältnisse eher enttäuschenden Album landen JAG PANZER lockerst in der Power-Metal-Top-Ten. Dafür sorgen sowohl Harry Conklins nach wie vor jenseits aller Maßstäbe angesiedelte Göttervocals als auch die großartigen, zwischen gnadenlosem Dreck und differenziertem Glanz hin und her pendelnden Gitarren des Doppels Mark Briody/Chris Broderick. Trotz der Kritikpunkte ist "Casting The Stones" eine Schatzkiste voller Riffs, Licks & Tricks, voller gut eingesetzter Keyboards, voller Emotionen, wie man sie auf den meisten Reißbrett-Rundlingen leider viel zu selten findet. Schlicht eine sehr gute Metalplatte mit großen Momenten und etwas Leerlauf.
Die Champions League wurde diesmal leider verpasst; mit dem Abstieg hat man aber natürlich auch im Jahre 21 nach "Tyrants" nichts zu tun."

My interpretation:

"After the very old school releases "Decade Of The Nail-Spiked Bat" and "Chain Of Command" the follow-up to "Mechanized Warfare" has finally arrived. But, despite the three years that have passed, "Casting The Stones" doesn't quite hit the Bull's Eye like the two preceding masterpieces "Thane To The Throne" and "Mechanized Warfare" did. There's a lack of big melodies, anthemic hooklines and the sheer unbelievable goose bump moments in parts of the again very mid tempo material. The only exceptions are the formidable "The Mission (1943)" and the unfortunately very short hit 'Achilles' (a quickie that doesn't even last three minutes). After a few notes you can also notice that Jim Morris only worked on the mix (maybe because of financial restrictions). The production just isn't as powerful as it used to be.
But: Even with a disappointing CD (compared to their other albums) JAG PANZER still make the Power Metal top ten easily. No wonder, with Harry Conklin's still divine vocals and the great guitar duo Mark Briody/Chris Broderick. Despite all the criticism "Casting The Stones" is a treasure chest full of riffs, licks & tricks, very good keyboards and emotions, which can hardly be found on most other CDs. It's just a very good metal record with great moments and a few weaker moments.
JAG PANZER missed the Champion's League this time, but are still far from relegation 21 years after "Tyrants"... Boris Kaiser"
8 points (out of 10)

GRRRR!!!

I've known Boris for several years and he's a cool guy.

But as a professional journalist you need to do your homework. Jim Morris did in fact produce this album. So his statement is factually incorrect. But then he takes this incorrect statement and uses that to make an assumption that the budget was lower (which it was not).

Mark

I've only heard Battered, and Legion, and to be honest I think the production is better than Mechanized. The guitars seem tighter and I love the tone now. And Harry sounds fantastic.