Rode NT4

Mar 11, 2005
England
Im getting th itch to buy some new microphones again. Has anyone got much experience with the rode NT4 at all? Looking for some decent condensors for overheads.

NT4 sounds ok but It's XY only. A bit frustrating. There's a general consensus that AB couples performs better for metal music. You'd better go for a real pair of mics for more flexiblity.

Not too sure about NT4's, but I have used and am always hearing good things about a matched pair of NT5's for overheads (amongst other things). I'd recommend them or some SE3's for OH, on a fairly low budget.

Ive already got a pair of SE3s and love em. Ive also got an AT4033 and an AKG C414 but only one of each. I think I already know the anser for this but while one should I get a friend for?

A did a track in a friend's studio a few weeks ago with NT5's and they sounded really good.

I myself use MXL 603's and I really like them - enough that I bought another pair. Look on ebay, I got the last pair for only $75.

I do believe the NT5's sound a bit smoother, but in a dense metal mix, it may not be all that noticeable.

I have a pair of NT5s. Since I don't have a massive mic locker or a huge budget, they're my usual go-to mics for overheads. They're the best inexpensive small condenser I've used.

They're pretty natural sounding, without the usual harshness that comes with inexpensive SDCs, so they do a wonderful job capturing cymbals and acoustic guitars. I've had success combining them with a 57 or similar dynamic on guitar cabs as well.

I haven't tried them on snare, toms, bass or vox (hey- whatever works!) yet. My drummer's got a new custom kit from Peace arriving soon- he's an endorsee- as well as a killer custom brass snare from them, so we'll probably stick the NT5s on a few different sources to build some sample sets for our new album.

NT4 is a real cool room mic, not really for OH in my opinion. But a room mic can really help your cymbals IMO.