RODE NTK or AUDIOTECHNICA 4050?

MR NINE

Jan 25, 2004
Portugal
www.putfile.com
HI there!

I´m going to buy a new condenser mic, but after reading tons of reviews about these 2 (good & bad for both models I must say!) I' d like to hear some opinions from someone that knows or have tryed this mics already
I recorded already with a few from Audiotechnica (4033/3525) and I must say that the 4033 sounds great on vocals, guitars and cimbals, but never with a Rode, so I'm curious about it?!?!

PS- what about those Studio Projects C1/c3??...

Thanx in advance for any advice!!

Hey Mr Nine,

I didn't try Audio Technica mics, but I have a Rode NTK. Would say that this is a good mic, the tube adds a slightly "bigger than life" feel to it, but it's weight (added to the one of the power unit for the tube) is pretty big and a disadvantage. Not a mic I'd kill for, but a good one for those bands asking "Do you have big tube microphones ?" :) I used it for vocals, violin and acoustic guitars so far, but as I said, his weight and size prevent me from using it too much when I'm on location.
Hope that helps.

Thanx Brett!
one of the things I don't like in the A.Tech. its the cradle. its a bit fragile and not very handy, but for the sound I like it. I mean the 4033.
Does the NTK really have a tube or is it sort of a transistor valve simulator?! I ask 'cause I read a review where this guy was complaining about it?!?...

MR NINE said:
Thanx Brett!
one of the things I don't like in the A.Tech. its the cradle. its a bit fragile and not very handy, but for the sound I like it. I mean the 4033.
Does the NTK really have a tube or is it sort of a transistor valve simulator?! I ask 'cause I read a review where this guy was complaining about it?!?...

NTK has a tube.
I have one, too, and I think for male Vocals, the deeper the better, it rules.
I also used it for western guitar and violin.
For western guitar it's also good, depending on violins it can be too much hf

That's true, for deep voice it's very good I think, but I don't record Barry White or Peter Steele very often these days ;)
It has a tube, and you "must" (I should say you'd better) let it warm up for 30 minutes to an hour.

Just to disagree with everybody and make your choice more difficult :D, I can't stand the NTK. On some people's voices it cam work wonders, but on other people's (mine, for instance) it can be very harsh. It does have that low-end warmth that you may be looking for, but the highs can just sound so brittle. It's definitely not a mic that can be used on just anything. I suggest trying it out first if possible, because there's a good chance that it could be just the right mic for you, but there's also a good chance that your voice just doesn't get along with it. I certainly don't want to say "don't buy it", because perhaps you'll love it, but if I had to I would recommend the AT4050 if you're going to use it on a lot of different sources; unlike the NTK, it can work on just about anything you put in front of it.
The key is trying stuff before you buy it, of course. Don't trust magazine reviews, because they're lying to your face and you're paying them money for it. Regular people's opinions are often the best guide, but a mic is a very personal choice, and it takes some searching to find "the one".
By the way, since you mentioned Audio Technicas, I should mention that after getting rid of my NTK, I got a 4047, and it's now my favorite vocal mic. If you're looking for a vintage vibe, you should try out the 4047. If you absolutely must have a tube in your mic, try out the 4060. And if you're looking for something that works on almost everything, the 4050 is the way to go. I highly suggest testing all of these against the NTK before making a decision. Or just buy them all; you can't have too many mics.

What about BLUE mics? I dont think I've ever heard anyone comment about them on this forum, but, I've heard good things from friends of mine in the area concerning them. What do you guys think?

J

J the TyranT said:
What about BLUE mics? I dont think I've ever heard anyone comment about them on this forum, but, I've heard good things from friends of mine in the area concerning them. What do you guys think?

The Blueberry's a nice, bright, airy sort of mic that's especially good if you want vocals to cut through the mix. It does lack, err, "thickness", which could be a plus or a minus depending upon the application. I feel it's a bit overpriced, however.
The Baby Bottle is very good for the money, but lacks the high-end sheen of the Blueberry. In fact, it's a pretty dark mic in general. Kind of a vintage sound, but doesn't cut through a mix too well if it needs to; though it can definitely take the edge off of harsh and/or shrill sources (there's just no way to get it back if you wanted to).
They're good mics, but they're very, very specialized in their applications.
I've also heard great things about the Kiwi and Dragonfly Deluxe, but haven't tried them firsthand.

I use both and like the NTK better for vocals most of the time. But I guess it depends what or who you're recording really.

A Gruesome Discovery said:
Just to disagree with everybody and make your choice more difficult :D, I can't stand the NTK. On some people's voices it cam work wonders, but on other people's (mine, for instance) it can be very harsh. It does have that low-end warmth that you may be looking for, but the highs can just sound so brittle. It's definitely not a mic that can be used on just anything. I suggest trying it out first if possible, because there's a good chance that it could be just the right mic for you, but there's also a good chance that your voice just doesn't get along with it. I certainly don't want to say "don't buy it", because perhaps you'll love it, but if I had to I would recommend the AT4050 if you're going to use it on a lot of different sources; unlike the NTK, it can work on just about anything you put in front of it.
The key is trying stuff before you buy it, of course. Don't trust magazine reviews, because they're lying to your face and you're paying them money for it. Regular people's opinions are often the best guide, but a mic is a very personal choice, and it takes some searching to find "the one".
By the way, since you mentioned Audio Technicas, I should mention that after getting rid of my NTK, I got a 4047, and it's now my favorite vocal mic. If you're looking for a vintage vibe, you should try out the 4047. If you absolutely must have a tube in your mic, try out the 4060. And if you're looking for something that works on almost everything, the 4050 is the way to go. I highly suggest testing all of these against the NTK before making a decision. Or just buy them all; you can't have too many mics.

It seems that your a big fan of AT's!!!
Unfortunally I can't try it before buy, So it's always difficult to buy something that you don't know, right?!
But anyway my choice goes to the AT 4050! As I know a few models already and I like them besides their bloody cradles!!
Anyway thanx a lot guys!

:headbang: