Roger Waters

Originally posted by Mick Moss
Gilmour did an album in 1984 after the breakup fo Pink Floyd called 'About Face' which sees him on the front cover with a leather jacket and what might be eyeliner. He obviously did this album not through artistic sensibility, but because the dollars had ran out.

BUT - This didnt quite bring the dollars in, and the guy (lets face it) since maturity has earned his crust playing music. So whats he going to do? Get a normal job? No, he needs to earn his money the safe way he always did, but releasing albums under his own name attracts only a fraction of the sales that something released under the name 'Pink Floyd' does.

So it begins. Seeing as the band was a ltd company in the first place, that means that the remaining majority actually have the right to use the 'magic name' as Terry puts it. This magic name can sell your records really well when its put on the front of your album.

But ahhhhh. He cant write good songs by himself. So, once in posession of the magic name, OTHER writers are brought in to do it for him. Its ok, weve got the magic name! So what youre actually listening to is -

Pink Floyd compositions ?? NOOOO, Its Gilmores solo stuff fleshed out by the producer and all of his mates.

Pink Floyds performance?? GET REAL !! Have you seen the amount of names on that credit list? Fuck me! Id be surprised if Mason / Wright s performance was actually at an audible level in the mix.

i just thought i'd highlight this...

Thanx for the reply Pagan2002, I mean Danny..:wave:
No, I’ve never met any of the Pink Floyd members neither I know for sure what went on between them… :err: … However what I know (apart from some of their great lyrics, like those of Shine On.. which are about Floyd's first guitarist) is that Barrett – after he left the Floyd – had released a few solo albums (the one I remember is called The Madcap Laughs) on some of which Gilmour had contributed in some way. I guess this counts as a plus for him since it shows his appreciation of the guy that he eventually replaced in the band. Now, correct me if I’m wrong but Waters does not appear on Barrett’s solo albums at all (I’ll have to double-check, but without the vinyl ready-at-hand it’s not too easy).. If I’m right, there is some evidence to suggest that, at least, at that time Waters was not too fond of Syd. Why? I dunno the answer to this question or what exactly it might mean.

But as I said I’m not really an expert in Floyd related issues.. ‘tis just that Barrett’s role in the original musical experiment (collectively known as the Pink Floyd) is often under-emphasized and misjudged and that some ppl have hardly ever heard of him..this I find a little sad..

Also I need add that I don’t find ‘The Final Cut’ a bad album, I understand ‘tis very emotional and must mean a lot to Waters.... Funny thing however is that the ‘One of the Few’ track has been my fav of that album since I first listened to it and it lasts only one minute and a half..

About Gilmour's solo albums.......I do have both (both found in the bargain bin heh) and they both have 2 or 3 good songs on them. Most of it is kinda boring stuff without alot of creativity. I would say the 2 Watersless Floyd albums are better than the Gilmour stuff, but probably because of the addition of the song-writers and of course the huge studio budget I am sure they gave Gilmour, Mason, Wright and their associates to work with. Funny thing is there is a song on Gilmour's first solo record that has almost the exact same solo as a song on Division Bell. And the light show I think is probably one of the biggest redeeming qualities in seeing Floyd live, as the band is pretty lifeless (I've seen 2 of their concert videos without Roger) nowadays. :-( I don't see the Watersless Floyd making another studio album or doing another tour. Good to hear Roger is still going, I'd definitely see him if he came near here. Oh yeah, heh and the last time I saw Gilmour he was playing back-up in Paul McCartney's band on some VH1 special.

Waters and Lennon...........GOOD ONE!!!! If there truly is such a thing as heaven then we will all see it one day. No offense to anyone on this board, but of all the Beatles, I hate McArtney the worst. To see David Gimour (regardless of what many say about him) playing a jabroni to this guy is truly a shame.

I don't think waters will be too keen on getting the oppurtunity to collabarate

with Lennon anytime soon. Seems Nick Mason Joined waters during his London gig for "Set the controls..." reunion annybody??

Originally posted by Strangelight
yeah, Gilmour and McCartney.. a match made in cheese heaven
but can you imagine a Waters/Lennon project:worship:
?????

working class hero/pigs on the wing....shame lennon's dead really...:bah:

Originally posted by Don Corleone
danny, do you have any info on what happened to syd? is the legend true that he never died and that one day he actually paid pink floyd a visit when they were in studio?

Hello there Don, i don't know if Syd is dead or not, (either way his mind was always living in a parallel universe :rolleyes: ) but it's true that he paid pink floyd a visit when they were in studio for the recordings of "Wish you were here"! Here is the whole story:

Roger Waters:"One day during the recordings, Andrew King went to the studio and fell on a fat man who had his hair shaved.He was wearing a grey pair of trousers, a nylon shirt and a waistcoat. It was Syd! " I've got a huge fridge in my house and i keep on eating porky steaks" he said to Andrew, with a smile in his face.
Syd stayed there the whole day, without saying anything, watching the mixing of a song. When we had finally finished and wanted to hear the result, Syd broke his silence, and with a completely naive expression asked:"Why? Don't you already have listened to the song so many times?'' " :eek:
( From a book called "PINK FLOYD")

This was probably the last time pink floyd met with Syd...

Originally posted by Strangelight
Waters did a good version of Across the Universe and I have some stuff thats allegedly Lennon and Barrett off their heads:)
Gilmour can go to the merdit camp tho and burn:mad: :mad: :mad:

wouldnt mind hearing that, do you think its really them? it could be i suppose, they probably did meet at abbey road

Originally posted by pagan2002

wouldnt mind hearing that, do you think its really them? it could be i suppose, they probably did meet at abbey road

I think they met a Abbey Road. Its deffo Lennon cos its his voice and the song is 'What A Shame Mary Jane'. I downloaded it ages ago.

Originally posted by Elmarad

Hello there Don, i don't know if Syd is dead or not, (either way his mind was always living in a parallel universe :rolleyes: ) but it's true that he paid pink floyd a visit when they were in studio for the recordings of "Wish you were here"! Here is the whole story:

Roger Waters:"One day during the recordings, Andrew King went to the studio and fell on a fat man who had his hair shaved.He was wearing a grey pair of trousers, a nylon shirt and a waistcoat. It was Syd! " I've got a huge fridge in my house and i keep on eating porky steaks" he said to Andrew, with a smile in his face.
Syd stayed there the whole day, without saying anything, watching the mixing of a song. When we had finally finished and wanted to hear the result, Syd broke his silence, and with a completely naive expression asked:"Why? Don't you already have listened to the song so many times?'' " :eek:
( From a book called "PINK FLOYD")

This was probably the last time pink floyd met with Syd...

WOW! finally someone cared to satisfy my curiousness. thank you, elmarad. so all that i heard before wqas true after all, hmm.