Ronnie James Dio - The passing of a legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphony

PQ member
Jan 8, 2002
Southampton, UK
www.power-quest.co.uk
Well, it's 5 days on from hearing the terrible, saddening news of the passing of Ronnie James Dio. I wanted to let the news sink in before commenting officially but, in all honesty I still can't quite believe that he has departed.

Ronnie was a massive inspiration and influence to me from the time I first heard his vocals in the early 1980's on the "Heaven and Hell" record. I was 11 years old and here I am 27 years later still remembering that time as if it were only a short time ago. Whether it was with Sabbath, Rainbow, Dio or latterly Heaven and Hell there is no doubt in my mind that we have lost a truly legendary figure and one of the gentlemen of rock as well.

I had the pleasure of seeing RJD fronting both Dio and Sabbath over the years. I particularly recall 2 shows above all others. Firstly Black Sabbath (supported by Testament) in Southampton,UK on the "Dehumanizer" tour in 1992. This was an incredible show that many of us who were there still talk about to this day. Secondly, the "Holy Diver" tour in 2005 once again in Southampton. This show will stick in my mind forever.

The 2005 show fell on my birthday and my friend Andre Bargmann (former PQ drummer and at the time, drum tech for Simon Wright. Andre went on to tech for Vinny Appice in Heaven and Hell amongst others) contacted me the day before to ask if I would be going to the show. Needless to say I was already planning to attend but Andre made some arrangements for myself and my girlfriend to meet Ronnie and the rest of the band backstage, where I was presented with a signed drum skin with birthday wishes from all the guys. This has had pride of place on my studio wall ever since, and will continue to do so. Ronnie was so welcoming and friendly as were the rest of the guys as well and it was a real privilege to be able to spend just a few minutes chatting and talking about music. It's just one of those things that I will never forget and I'm very thankful for.

Although Ronnie may have left us, his immense legacy will live on in the wonderful music he leaves behind. Not just for those of us who have followed his career for years but also for future metal/rock fans and musicians. On behalf of myself and the Power Quest family I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to Wendy and all her family and friends at this most difficult of times.

RIP Ronnie

Steve Williams

May 21st 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.