Room mics for drums- Rode NT1A or NT2A?

Vinny

Jun 4, 2009
New Braunfels, Texas
Hey guys, I was simply just wondering if the $170 difference between those two mics is really worth it. I need some room mics for drums, and was torn between these two. There's obviously going to be a difference, but is it really worth the extra $$$? I have yet to find any shootouts between those two mics, and was wondering if anybody on here has any experience with those two and tested them both out? I figure for pretty much the same price of the NT2A I can get 2 NT1A's and have a stereo room, but I dunno. Other applications would include maybe some singing and acoustic guitar (but acoustic guitar would be recorded with my Oktavas once I get them, so it'd only be temporary.)

Thoughts? Suggestions for better mics around the price range?

Thanks so much for the help guys,
Vincent

In that price range, I would get an AT4040. I have an NT1A and I think it's a terrible mic for most applications, it's overly brittle and harsh sounding. You probably won't want to use it as anything other than a room mic. The 4040 will be a good room mic and you will be able to use it on other sources as well.

Out of those 2, I'd pick the NT2a. So much more useful with the different pickup pattern, pads and filters.
You can do Blumlein, XY, M/S etc stereo recordings.
Plus it has a different diaphragm and body, which all together make it a better sounding mic.
(I have no experience with the AT4040)

I think the NT2A sounds killer for the price. Very much like a C414, just a bit brighter. A friend of mine actually puts a shelf on it to make it sound more like a C414.

The only use I have found for my NT1a was an overly dark sounding harsh vocalist. It somehow made even that sound a little brittle.

Wow I'm now really interested in that OktavaMod of the NT1A. I don't own an NT1A, but I might get one just to get that mod. I always heard Rode mics were a little harsh and brittle, so I've never made an effort to try one.

i'm digging the nt-1a for vocals (haven't used it as a room mic yet).
yes, it's bright, but with other mics i always find myself using a high shelf or any other high frequency boosts anyways, and as you know boosting highs = more noise. i think it's easier to trim down some of the highs (if necessary). perfectly reliable too.
now, if you're after a mellow vocal sound this is NOT the mic for you. but for what i'm doing it's perfect.