circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Rosetta – The Galilean Satellites
Translation Loss Records – TL9 – October 18th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

rosetta.jpg

From the label that brought you the wonderful Mouth of the Architect album in 2004 comes the equally stunning Rosetta with their debut, The Galilean Satellites. The latter can easily be herded in with bands such as Neurosis, Isis, Pelican, Red Sparowes, Jesu, Mouth of the Architect, Una Corda Explosions in the Sky, Cult of Luna, Deadbird, Capricorns, Minsk, and Overmars. Did I leave anyone out? But unlike metalcore, which rose to popularity and stagnated immediately afterwards, this new brand known as Neurosis-core is quickly becoming as saturated as any other subgenre. However, as far as this shtick is concerned, every effort I’ve sunk my teeth into has had a decent portion of idiosyncratic tendencies. To elucidate, when I look at the list of groups above, I can remember what each and every one of them sounds like, and what characteristic differentiates one from another. While Rosetta don’t quite deserve the “best of the lot” award, The Galilean Satellites does indeed meet the quality requirements unknowingly constructed by their predecessors. And for me, this record is the best debut released during 2005.

So what’s all the fuss about then? I’ll tell you. First of all, this four-piece didn’t take the easy route. This full-length is epic both in scope and execution, with the latter being exquisite, and is a double-disc collection spanning two (!) full hours. The first disc is an hour, contains five songs, and all of the compositions are long – some even surpass the fifteen-minute mark. No matter which style the quartet chooses to adopt, from ambient to drone to sludge, these songs are beautiful and enthralling, magical in their delivery, enrapturing at all moments. Of particular note is the instrumental “Absent,” because it’s a culmination of all their abilities. Rosetta can incorporate slowness, fastness, lightness, heaviness, sparseness, denseness, or any other combination, and weave it into one song convincingly. The tunes sprawl for ages, but whether you’re focusing on the album exclusively or listening to it as background music, it won’t get boring. The drumming is incredible as well, becoming a focal point at least once during each song.

The second disc is a different kind of monster. It abandons mostly everything except for guitar, piano, and electronic effects – there are distorted vocals on “Beta Aquilae” however – but disc two of two isn’t quite as edifying as its fraternal twin. Chances are, one of the two CDs is going to be lost in the shuffle. Even so, in addition to each disc being standalone, they can be synced without resulting in a jumbled mess. I haven’t tried it myself. That would require getting off my ass, and I can’t have that. Either way, though, it’s a cool idea admittedly stolen from Neurosis and Tribes of Neurot. When I was thinking of ways to summarize the second part of The Galilean Satellites, I was reminded of the phrase Chroma Key borrowed from those astronauts on You Go Now: magnificent desolation. And it’s a fitting recollection since this outing is, like, totally in love with space.

The music isn’t the only reason to purchase a copy of Rosetta’s full-length. Besides the length and reasonable price, the artwork is amazing and supplemented with gatefold packaging – designed by none other than Aaron Turner (Isis, Old Man Gloom, Hydra Head Records). Like Turner, Armine’s (vocals, electronics) hands are in several cookie jars, as he plays in Rosetta, Mykado, and is a staff member of Translation Loss Records. Regarding their competition, these guys have thumped most of it, simultaneously releasing one of the better records of the year. The Galilean Satellites is grandiose without being pretentious, and remarkable without ever being over-the-top. Interestingly enough, though it’s two hours, there’s no filler here. If you don’t already own Mouth of the Architect’s Time & Withering, then pick up both of these in one fell swoop. Neither improves on the subgenre, but they’re both magnificent regardless of their deficiencies.

9/10

Official Rosetta Website
Official Translation Loss Records Website

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
fucking brilliant album and a nice review :)

edit: oh and i thought you were meant to play both discs together or something? or is that just a nasty rumour...?

"Even so, in addition to each disc being standalone, they can be synced without resulting in a jumbled mess. I haven’t tried it myself. That would require getting off my ass, and I can’t have that. Either way, though, it’s a cool idea admittedly stolen from Neurosis and Tribes of Neurot."

Nice to see you read the review! ;)

Upon first listen, I heard each disc separately. Disc One, the more "band" oriented disc, is kind of typical slowcore stuff like Cult of Luna, Callisto, etc. Second Disc is mroe spacy and ambient...interesting background noise.

HOWEVER, I did play these discs in sync and it is only then that the brilliance of this project becomes evident. Frankly, it was one of the most surprising and unique listening experiences I've had in a long time. The second ambient disk perfectly enhances the first disc while Disc 1 gives some rhythm and direction to Disc 2.

The combined effort is absolutely the densest music I have ever heard. It sounds like an army is playing!:OMG:

I still think the vocals are rather monotonous, but I'll admit, this is a VERY ambitious and powerful recording. If you can do it all, listen to both discs synced up to get the full force of "The Gallilean Satellites"!!!

Dr. Abner Mality said:
The combined effort is absolutely the densest music I have ever heard. It sounds like an army is playing!:OMG:

I still think the vocals are rather monotonous, but I'll admit, this is a VERY ambitious and powerful recording. If you can do it all, listen to both discs synced up to get the full force of "The Gallilean Satellites"!!!

I will make sure to do this now. If only I had two identical players, so the sound quality would match. :p

It wasn't the ideal situation for me. Disc 2 was coming across only on my TV soundsystem so it wasn't as powerful as what was coming out of my regular stereo with Disc 1. But I can only imagine how devastating this would be with two stereos of equal power going...maybe with one in the front of the room and the other in the back!

Interested to hear what others thought of the "dual" assault...

I just have to agree that this is just amazing stuff and the artworkx is just superb!

my boyfriend wants this and we can't find the cd anywhere! email at piratebear@tmail.com if you can help me or have any suggestions. thanks so much! also, the mouth of the architect cd "time and withering"... can't find it ANYWHERE either.

I thnk it's pretty irresponsible to review something when you haven't even properly listened to it. It's things like that which will make your site unrespectable. Also the idea of sync'ed discs was not Neurosis'; The Flaming Lips did it a couple years before Neurosis, and it probably had been done before that too. So who's to say who "stole it" from whom?

soca beat said:
I thnk it's pretty irresponsible to review something when you haven't even properly listened to it. It's things like that which will make your site unrespectable. Also the idea of sync'ed discs was not Neurosis'; The Flaming Lips did it a couple years before Neurosis, and it probably had been done before that too. So who's to say who "stole it" from whom?

Well, both discs stand alone (and pretty damn well at that), so I do feel like I "properly listened" to it. The syncing is more like a cool aside, in my opinion, and the quality is there regardless of how one chooses to listen to this. I'm aware that that technique has been used before; however, Rosetta admitted to borrowing the idea specifically from Neurosis in this interview. Thanks for reading and commentin'. :wave:

If you really want to hear what they sound like make the trip to my coffeehouse Dec. 17th in Murfreesboro,NC and see them live!Then you can actually meet them and ask them what's up hehehehe.

Sure, Rosetta may have gotten their idea from Neurosis but it sounds like the review is giving credit for the idea to Neurosis themselves, which is what i took issue with.