Rough mix from a modern rock project I'm working on

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
Producing a 7 song EP for a band from Chicago. These are some young kids, talking 15-19 (drummer is 15 and he's absolutely sick). This is my first "big" production in a while. There aren't any vocals yet, I just started getting the roughs together to start tracking vocals on Wednesday.

Drums:

Kick was triggered, so that's obviously fake. The snare was the studio's Ocheltree Carbon Steel snare augmented with a sample. Toms are 100% real as they were played. The cymbals weren't the best (the guy's 15, so I'll cut him some slack) but I think I was able to get them to sound passable. Drums were obviously edited, but the takes were damn tight to begin with.

Guitars:

Rivera K Tre and 6505+ on the left, Rivera K Tre and a Dual Recto on the right, rhythms are double-tracked on each side. Don't remember what guitars we used on this one, I brought a couple of my Paul Reed Smiths into the studio, and along with their guitars, we kinda lost track of what was used where. Guitars were edited here and there for tightness when needed. I actually don't think we did that on this song. The solos are placeholders while the lead guitarist works with them a bit more, so they're a touch sloppy and out of tune.

Bass:

Ibanez ICB200 Iceman bass which actually sounded very nice. That was run through a Sansamp BDDI and Ampeg SVX. It was edited for time and tuned with Melodyne, which is standard practice for me.

Notes - I know the kick and bass are still a bit off-kilter. Like I said, this is the beginning stages of the mix for this song. The only thing that has been EQ'd is the drums. Guitars are just HP'd at 90hz and LP'd at 15khz. Bass has a touch of compression. I'm just really happy with how this project is coming together overall, considering that these are some very young kids.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3463841/rough 1 NO LEAKS.mp3

I'd try making the leads stand out a little bit more. Other than that, I can't help you much. It's pretty cool, dude.

This is sounding pretty awesome, I don't have a whole lot of suggestions to give. The kick could come down a little bit, it pops through the mix just a little too much for this kind of music, in my opinion.

Thanks guys! Yea, the kick's pissing me off a bit. I'm going to start from square one with placing that in the mix.