Rough mix take 2, Prog/death (opeth,behemoth)

Oct 27, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I'm currently mixing an EP for a band, and it's my first real project, it's the first time I'm recording everything and mixing it. The only other things I've done were downloading songs from here and spending a couple of hours mixing them, or my own songs.

The guitars in this rough mix really suck though, they are gearbox, but I'm sending the 4 songs with rhytm guitars next week for reamping, when I'll be satisfied of my mixes (I'm far from being satisfied right now). So I'd like more advices on the rest of the mix (drums, bass, keys, vocals). Here's the link:

edit: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/317666/god-roughmix01.mp3

The clean vocals are off at a couple of places, we're gonna redo them this week, and we also gonna do some vocal doubling.

Thanks!
Max

This is pretty awesome so far. When the guitars are reamped they're gonna rock.

Get a bit of low frequencies out of the vocals, they're a little cloudy.

I like the drum sound A LOT for this production. It fits well. Clue us in?

This is pretty awesome so far. When the guitars are reamped they're gonna rock.

Get a bit of low frequencies out of the vocals, they're a little cloudy.

I like the drum sound A LOT for this production. It fits well. Clue us in?

Thanks Greg! Actually , I just spent the last 2-3 hours mixing drums of another song. What I'm doing is that I mix each songs one after the other, starting from scratch ( but using the same samples), and then I'll choose my favorite mix and apply the settings to the other songs, and finally ajust it.

Here's the beginning of the song I've been working on tonight:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/317666/ase-roughmix-01.mp3

I think I prefer the drums and the bass in this version. The drums have a lot more punch ( too much?), and kick is less clicky.

Anyway, for the info, toms are S2.0., snare is 2.0 black beauty blended with a slate sample at a lower volume, and kick is slate 10 blended with black kick.