Rough Version of my first real mix

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
So i am recording my bands EP and we started today. I already had rough drums and bass and guitars done. So we started vocals today. One problem ive been having is that the vocals aren't in your face enough. We recorded them with an SM58. Also, how do the drums sit in the mix? Thanks for any feedback. I dont have that much equipment so i did what i could.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113488/New Song.mp3

Edit: Also if anyone wants to know, im running an M-Audio Duo interface into my computer. The guitars are revalver, drums are DFH (i know this is a no-no) with resampled kick and snare. The bass for now is detuned guitars. If you feel the need to destroy me go ahead lol. Also one more question, what does a D-Esser do and how does it work? I hear alot about it for vocals

Post more details on the processing of all your tracks.

How you recorded drums, guitars, bass, etc.

Also, what effects do you have on the vocals? They aren't very loud, but I can still hear some clipping.

Let me know some more details, and I will try to help the best I can.

Post more details on the processing of all your tracks.

How you recorded drums, guitars, bass, etc.

Also, what effects do you have on the vocals? They aren't very loud, but I can still hear some clipping.

Let me know some more details, and I will try to help the best I can.

Ok so for guitars i used revalver with a preset i made. Bass i detuned guitar through ampeg SVX, the vocals are through an SM58 in a vocal booth (a closet with a window cut out and blankets and stuff). For post processing on the vocals i used waves C1 and Waves Reverb with only like 6% wet in the studio B preset. The guitars have a low pass of 12k and a high pass of about 80. Bass has a high pass at about 50. Theres not too much else. I use my Audio Technica ATH-M20's for mixing and recording.

Like I said I dont have much equipment yet. I wanna get a pair of Mr5's and an FP10. But first im gonna get a Countryman 85. I put most of my money into the computer i bought off craigslist (was FULL of plugins, waves, Ezdrummer, guitar rig, revalver etc.) I have all the waves plugins and such.

Ok so for guitars i used revalver with a preset i made. Bass i detuned guitar through ampeg SVX, the vocals are through an SM58 in a vocal booth (a closet with a window cut out and blankets and stuff). For post processing on the vocals i used waves C1 and Waves Reverb with only like 6% wet in the studio B preset. The guitars have a low pass of 12k and a high pass of about 80. Bass has a high pass at about 50. Theres not too much else. I use my Audio Technica ATH-M20's for mixing and recording.

Like I said I dont have much equipment yet. I wanna get a pair of Mr5's and an FP10. But first im gonna get a Countryman 85. I put most of my money into the computer i bought off craigslist (was FULL of plugins, waves, Ezdrummer, guitar rig, revalver etc.) I have all the waves plugins and such.

For the guitars:

How many guitar tracks do you have? I would double track the guitars, and pan them accordingly - 100% L and 100% R.
If that sounds too thin, bring up your guitar levels some.
If you're close to peaking, take your levels back down, and track two more rhythm tracks, and pan those 50% L and R.

Quad tracking is difficult, and takes a SHIT ton of editing if the guitar playing is not exceptionally tight.
For EQ, scoop the mids a little bit (500Hz to 700Hz), and boost the higher frequencies (5-6Khz) to taste. Your guitars are definitely lacking clarity. It kind of just sounds like a wall of noise at some parts.

Also, put some overdrive on your bass, and CRANK THAT SUCKER! Haha. Bass guitar can really make or break your mix - along with drums.
If you have the MAXXBASS plugin with Waves, Try duplicating your bass track and blending the MAXXBASS track with your original.
That will give it some more beef.

For keys:

Scoop those lows! And possibly add some reverb, but not too much. Get them a little more ambient sounding, and compress the shit out of them.

For drums:

I love the kick drum sound.
You could possibly get away with boosting the lows a little. (Around 100-125Hz.)
And the overall volume.

The snare volume needs to come way up. And boost around 200Hz, to give it some more beef.

Overheads sound alright, I suppose. They could possibly use a little more clarity.

Vocals:

COMPRESS, COMPRESS, COMPRESS!
Also, you mention you have the Waves bundle.

Use that De-Esser! It works beautifully.
That will take care of a lot of the harshness of the vocals.
Try boosting the mids, and dropping the highs on the vocals (If the de-esser doesn't take care of it all together.)

Try these things, and post an updated mix!
Let me know if it helps!

haha wow thanks ganks, that might just be the most helpful post ive ever had. Tomorrow im gonna rerecord the guitars WAY tighter. Thanks for all the useful info. And I really wanna compress the vocals alot? I thought that would take away dynamics (or is that just for guitars? lol). I will post a new mix tomorrow night. And how exactly do i use the D-esser? And whats is for? Also i hear tape saturation is a must for vocals. That alot again Ganks!

It's no problem at all.

As far as the vocals go, compression will definitely help in this situation. You want to leave some dynamics, but in this case, you have too many dynamics! :p

In all honesty, it might be best to re-record vocals. Get your vocalist to check the mic, and check the meter level in your DAW. You do not want to be clipping. This is the most important factor. Also, make multiple vocal tracks if you have to (to control volume / compression separately) on each track if need be.

The compression and volume will naturally need to be different for higher screams vs. lower screams. So if anything, track your highs and lows separate.

And remember, it's important to get the BEST sound going in that you can get. It's easier to fix that way, and it's never good to try to fix it in the mix.

A De-Esser will get rid of the harsh sibilant frequencies. Just apply it, and you'll see a noticeable difference. :)