Royal Anguish - Welcome to the Family

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
[imgleft]http://www.npearce.ultimatemetal.com/meow.jpg[/imgleft] By Jason Jordan

A few weeks ago, during the first few days of July, UltimateMetal opened its arms to yet another quality band. With a couple full-lengths under their belt, Royal Anguish are poised to record their third LP in September of this year, and have just recently signed with Fear Dark Records. If the self-released Tales of Sullen Eyes EP – which will be re-released by Fear Dark – is any indication, we should have quite an album on our hands. Matt Knowles, the band’s frontman, was antsy to talk about their upcoming plans, so I turned the microphone on and let him do just that.

Royal Anguish formed in 1991, but it took over ten years to release any sort of material. Why do you think it took so long for music to surface?

Actually, the band did have some music in the market back in the early ‘90’s. We recorded an EP entitled Shocking the Priest that was released on A.R.T. Records back in 1993, and some of the other material was floating around unofficially. The original live incarnation disbanded in 1995, and I didn’t start re-envisioning what I wanted the band to be until late 1996 / early 1997. A very slow build took place then and we started recording again in 2000. At this point, a small label came along (Songs of the Dead Records) and wanted to reissue Shocking The Priest to reintroduce the band to the music world, and this they did in 2002. We also did a song for a compilation, and a full-length, entitled Mysterion, for that label.

Last year, Bombworks Records unleashed The Chronicles of Autumn Sorrow, which was actually recorded in 1994/1995. Why was that album never officially issued? Did the band, as a whole, want the record to see the light of day, or did the label mostly orchestrate its release?

The album was not issued back then because the relationship between the band and our label fell apart. We mutually split from the label in the middle of its production, and we gained rights to all the material in studio, but at the same time we had to take on the financial commitments. The recording was in debt to the studio, and we weren’t even able to get a mix done until a year after the recording was finished because of the huge financial hole that was dug for it.

It was a mutual thing between both parties to release The Chronicles of Autumn Sorrow in 2004. They knew the band had interest in making sure the entire back catalog was made available, and so they called with a plan that we felt was appropriate to get it into the market, without taking primary focus off of our current material.

2005_sullen_banner.jpg

In my review of Tales of Sullen Eyes EP, I compare Royal Anguish to both Cradle of Filth (musically) and Novembers Doom (vocally). What do you think of the aforementioned comparison? Have you listened to either group extensively?

Both are well-known and respected, so I’ll take that as a big compliment. I do think that the two bands you compare us to shows that we have a great deal of diversity. No one would ever get those two bands confused. As for extensive studying of the two, I am not well-versed on the in’s and out’s of the discographies for either but I have heard them both. I am glad that you enjoyed our CD!

The big news for you guys is that the group just recently signed with Fear Dark Records. For the uninitiated – say, someone who’s never even heard of the label – why is Fear Dark good enough to host the next Royal Anguish full-length? What are the record company’s strengths?

Fear Dark is an up-and-coming independent label out of the Netherlands. We’ve been impressed by the professionalism and integrity of the men who run it. It took nearly a year of negotiating to come to final terms for the contract, because they wanted to be as meticulous as possible and make sure that anything stated in the contract would be something they could honor. They didn’t want to just have a sheet full of empty promises and unrealistic date commitments.

I like the direction they are taking with their label and there was a definite mutual benefit for both entities in working with one another. We wanted to enhance our profile in the European market, and they wanted to sign a band with ties to the United States so that they could open up their marketing plans on this side of the Atlantic.

ra.jpg

Tales of Sullen Eyes EP is going to be re-released by Fear Dark Records for the European market. Why should those that own the independent version still pick up a copy of the re-release?

The Fear Dark release will be remastered and have new artwork. It will be a limited edition pressing also, so there will definitely be some collectability to this version…and to purchase it will help reinforce, in their eyes, the good decision they made to bring us on board.

Royal Anguish will be entering the studio in September of this year. What have you guys done in order to prepare for the recording?

We have been working hard on the material for the upcoming recording. The CD will pick up right where Tales of Sullen Eyes left off, but at the same time it will incorporate many other influences and stretch the boundaries of extreme music. We have some very talented musicians in the group right now, and I feel that this CD has the potential to be our most well-rounded ever. We have quite a few surprises and we just hope the music community will be ready for it!

On that note, it seems that every band who releases a CD seems to think that their release is the next benchmark or standard, but normally those claims fall flat. We really hope that, when the listener picks up the new CD, they will truly know that they’ve just experienced something that will be remembered for its quality and forward-thinking in all areas: music, vocals, lyrics, and composition/songwriting. We want it to be technically sound, memorable, and catchy at the same time.

We are going to play a couple of live shows just before the recording begins (August 20th, Ocala, FL / August 27th, Tampa, FL) and we will debut about half of the CD to those in attendance. We are very excited to show off our new material!

banner.jpg

Let’s play a little word association game. The following are a list of music-related words that I want you to reply to with the first thing that comes to mind:

Ghost Reveries

I am glad to see that a band based solely around musical expression, such as Opeth, is finally starting to break into the mainstream. Hopefully this CD will push them into the limelight.

Sideshow Symphonies

Can’t wait! Arcturus is an amazing band, and I am so happy that Simen has joined their ranks again on vocals. Arcturus has some wickedly good material and I just hope they can meet the standard they set with 2002’s The Sham Mirrors.

Century Media Records

One of the biggest shows in town at the moment. They have some of my favorite bands on their label (including Into Eternity, Borknagar, and Finntroll) and their roster seems to be growing on a regular basis, so they must be doing something right!

Floridian death metal

Nostalgic. People still seem to believe that Florida is the death metal capital of the world, but I believe that is still coming from a perception created in the early ‘90’s. While there are still talented bands in the area, it’s definitely not the Mecca for up-and-coming bands like it once was.

Darkthrone

Overrated. But I will say this, they are marketing geniuses who have been able to build an amazing following off of the most simplistic and minimalist music I’ve heard. I was pretty impressed with their decision to decline their Grammy nomination and stay “true to their roots.” Not saying I would have personally done that, but it does show that they are committed to what they believe.

House of Blues

Would love to play there!

Overmars

I’d never heard of them until your interview, but they sound pretty interesting. Next time I get a chance I am gonna check them out!

JWW

Okay (needed help on this one - Jason William Walton of Agalloch). I love their material and think it’s amazing that a band as atmospheric as they are gets respect in the metal community. I am a big Agalloch fan and really enjoy being depressed to the hilt by their music.

Royal Carnage

Heard of it. Never read it.

Dave Mustaine

Hmm…I am all for people bettering themselves and becoming more spiritual, but I am not sure if his current over-the-top public stance is doing anything but making him look like a spectacle. I think most musicians need to just shut up and play. Fans want to be entertained and a lot of times being over-the-top about one’s personal feelings can really hinder that.

Finally, in one sentence, close this UltimateMetal interview with anything you like!

I appreciate your interest in our band and I hope that those who read this will give us a chance!

UltimateMetal’s Review of Royal Anguish – Tales of Sullen Eyes EP
Official Royal Anguish Forum
Official Royal Anguish Website
Official Fear Dark Records Website