RTW: Barbarian Invasion expansion pack discussion

Theredintheskyisours

It is ours you know.
Apr 27, 2003
South Lyon, Michigan, USA
Visit site
I don't know if you guys already know this, but a Barbarian Invasion expansion pack for Rome: Total War is on the way. Here are some of the new features:
[font=sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Barbarian Hordes - A barbarian faction can flee en masse from an attacker and take its entire people in search of a new homeland. When a faction loses its last settlement the entire population can move as a series of horde armies. If - and when - the faction manage to conquer a new homeland region, the people can again settle and begin life anew. While a faction is ‘on the road’ it can’t recruit new units other than mercenaries, but it doesn’t pay any upkeep on its armies. Hordes are a ‘get out of jail’ card for some factions facing defeat - or they may just get hacked to pieces as they run!

New Units - New factions means new units! In fact, almost every unit in BI is new. This means that there are plenty of new tactical tricks to discover, strengths to play up, and weaknesses to exploit! Every faction in the game has a ‘signature’ unit that is unique to them, such as the axe-throwing Francisca Heerbann of the Franks to the ultra-heavy Sassanid Clibinarii cavalry. Even apparently familiar units have been revised.
[/font]

[font=sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New Special Abilities - Some units in the game have new special abilities. The Shield Wall allows barbarian elites to ‘lock’ themselves into a defensive stance and withstand frontal attacks. The Schiltron is a defensive ‘hedgehog’ formation for spear-armed troops - great for withstanding cavalry, but very vulnerable to missile fire. Swimming allows light troops to cross rivers and flank defenders who think they are safe at one end of a bridge or ford! [/font]
A modified technology tree - allows barbarians to build and expand larger settlements. It also includes new buildings to reflect the changed importance given to religion at this time in history.
[/font]
A new campaign map - Europe and the Empire have changed after 350 years of Roman rule since the end of the main Rome: Total War campaign. The new map reflects the shifts in population and wealth that have gone on.
[/font]
[/font][font=sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/font][font=sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Religion - is now an important factor. Christianity has become the dominant religion of the Empire, but it’s your choice whether or not to revert to paganism in the hope that this will bring victory. Barbarian factions can convert, opening up new parts of the technology tree in the process.
Generals - can now be recruited as well as adopted into the family. There are also new vices and virtues as well as ancillary characters for generals’ retinues.
[/font]
Rebellions - can now flare up into full-fledged civil wars. Your generals can decide that they would make better kings or emperors than the current rulers and take matters into their own hands!
[/font]
And goodbye to the Senate! That old favourite enemy of Rome: Total War players everywhere is now a toothless talking shop with no power over the fate of the Empire. Instead: worry about the Huns!
[/font]
[/font]

So what do you guys think? I love the idea of having the shield wall defensive formation. I kind of wish there were the Celtic peoples who could help defend Briton against the Saxon invaders. Perhaps they will be a strong minor faction in the game. I also hope that some of the campaign bugs like the annoying CTD's (well, it happens on my computer) on the campaign map are taken out. I also hope the A.I. is a little revamped so that they don't just stand around as I am annihilating them with my peltasts and/or archers.

Sounds interesting but not enough for me to bother with. I just wish they would improve/fix many of the problems from the original (pathing, diplomacy, etc). I suppose they may pull a Blizzard here and purposely only fix things with the expansion so you can have a broken game or pay more to get it fixed. We'll see.

Unfortunately, I don't think that much is going to change in that aspect. CA said that they will add in new features (hence the expansion pack) and not revamp RTW completly. Things need to be changed, but since I am a big fan of the Dark Age/Fall of Rome period in History, I will buy it. I'd buy it for the shield wall feature itself for Christ's sake. The importance of religion is a must too. I'll make every priest fuck any bitch/little boy he can find. Let's just pray that you can do that, because priests and even Popes sometimes did fuck little boys during the Dark Ages. Like the saying goes, "History has a tendency of repeating itself!"

Rest assured that CA will fix some of the issue in the original game.
If you view CA's history then they have always "fix" the game with the expansions.
Medieval Total war would be nothing without Viking invasion.