What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Rue

s/t

Shifty Records 2003

By Nathan Pearce

sh18.gif

Thankfully, I am pleasantly surprised by free promos from time to time. I really hate wasting my time listening to music I can’t stand, and, of course, wasting more time writing a review of it. HOWEVER, Rue is one of those pleasant surprises.

Much like Mastodon did in 2002, Rue jumped through the speakers and immediately gained a chokehold on me. The label and the band describe their music as hardcore stoner-metal, but I think this description doesn’t even come close to doing this band justice. While there are definitely some hardcore and stoner-metal influences, Rue is marching down the same path as recent bands like the above-mentioned Mastodon and the new Mistress album. Metal is by far the most prominent aspect of Rue’s sound, but I can’t help but smile when I hear soulful southern guitar lines on occasion and heavy hitting guitar melodies more in line with Iron Maiden than In Flames.

Rue possess everything they need to be a great band, great songs, a great formula, and a great attitude. They are also a new band, and with a new band comes a period of finding themselves. Rue is still in that process, but I don’t expect a huge shift in their sound in the future. I do expect an absolutely killer sophomore effort, though.

For fans of everything from Melvins, Acid Bath, and Iron Monkey, Rue will absolutely tickle your sick minds. For fans of metal in general, give this band a try . . . or at least watch for them to make a large splash in the near future.

8/10

[url]www.shiftyrecords.com[/url]