Rules that are going to be very, very in depth...

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
... combat is unfortunately going to have to be the most detailed system in the game. It's just unavoidable. But to encourage players to downplay combat in the game, the following sets of skills/rules are currently slated to be very expansive, encouraging different types of challenges and adventure hooks than fantasy RPG characters may be used to. After all, characters want two things: Money and Knowledge, because each of those leads to Power! And force is not always the best way to get that...:

Academics

Archeology (fantasy characters are always traipsing through ancient ruins... there should be some depth there)

Government (Characters want power, and what signifies power more than rulership?)

Merchant (financial empires aren't very heroic to go into in depth, but a working system of how to set up a business offers some interesting maneuvering possibilities, a place for adventurers to dump large treasure hauls, and better yet a steady income for when they're laid up or otherwise not out on the adventure trail!)

It was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and reading Cerebus that made me think of different types of adventure possibilities and character focus. As with having autopsy rules, the mere presence of such rules will hopefully make GMs look at their game just a bit differently, and hopefully some of this stuff will actually be used.

And I'll say this til I'm blue in the face... if this projects works out well enough that there are followup supplements, woe be the player who designs a one-dimensional character and expects to get far in any officially published adventures!

Actually, trading guilds rock several casbahs. I spent 5 years running a character who was an assassin-made-merchant...damn trading guild got me into more adventures than I bargained for. Among the upsets were a) qualifying to trade with a barbarian tribe by ritual initiation - and unknowingly ending up with the chief's daughter as a concubine, b) expeditions to the Young Lands, where three previous expeditions I had funded [in amounts of 50, 150, and 500 adventurers] had been completely lost without a trace, and c) caught up in the middle of a civil war right after I had acquired a title...and it turned out that I was the only one in the nation with a ready fleet of ships.

Merchants...yeah, baby.