Rush Hour Congestion

There are occasions when my 5 mile drive to work takes me an hour, but that is usually due to an accident or some such shit. My primary route to work is also a major route for those heading downtown or to Ohio State. If we took the campus out of the picture, traffic would be fine.

If its only 5 miles, might I ask why you don't take a bike?

Then again, thats a very european(or at least German) thing... I remember one of my first trips to one of the more rural train stations late afternoon, and boggling at the 5-600 bikes locked up there. Its very common for people to own 1 or 2 cheap bikes (30 bucks, used, rusty and ugly) and then a nice one to keep at home. The 2 cheap bikes are to go from house to train and train to work and back, and live at the train stations.

Other people take the train part-way to work and ride their bike or even ride through the city... there are plenty of bike lanes around.

It can be pretty bad in Dallas if there's an accident because they block 3-4 lanes of the highway to deal with it. The train's the better option if you have to go anywhere downtown or uptown, during reasonable hours of course. Except during the state fair. F'ed if you try to drive (traffic and nowhere to park except a hoodlum's front yard), f'ed if you take the train/bus because it's so crowded during that time. UUGGGGHH so much aggravation just for a deep fried stick of butter!

On the upside, we do have enough highways that there is always another option to get where you're going. The trick is just to know where the gridlock is beforehand and go around it.

The post about DC traffic made me want to cry. It's the worst I've seen. I was in a more pleasant mood being stuck in gridlock on the way to the airport in California, knowing I would miss my flight (and I was in a pretty bad mood at that point Jerry), than I ever have been trying to get to a concert or something in DC. I think it has to do with the arrogant dickheadedness of DC drivers, just can't stand it.

Yea, Maryland/D.C./VA drivers (especially in the metro areas) are complete asshole drivers. They will pull the craziest, most reckless bullshit to try and get through traffic.