Rush to Perform on Colbert Report.

Slayer101

Nov 5, 2005
Arkansas
From Blabbermouth:
Canadian trio RUSH, which hasn't performed on U.S. television in more than three decades, will play its classic "Tom Sawyer" on the Comedy Central show "The Colbert Report" Wednesday, July 16 at 11:30 p.m. EST, according to The Associated Press. The Geddy Lee-fronted band, which is currently on tour, hasn't played on U.S. television since 1975.

RUSH's new live two-CD set, "Snakes & Arrows Live", sold just under 21,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 18 on The Billboard 200 chart.

The band's 18th studio album, "Snakes & Arrows", debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard album chart with sales of 93,000 copies. The disc is the first collection of all-new RUSH material since 2002's "Vapor Trails" and the 27th RUSH release to make the Billboard album chart. The band's chart peak was in 1993, when "Counterparts" debuted at No. 2.

The 2008 leg of the "Snakes & Arrows" tour kicked off on April 11 in San Juan, Puerto Rico and will conclude July 22 in Atlanta, Georgia.

:lol:

Colbert is going to make a crack about how they're Canadian, thus pussies. Just calling it.
In a way yeah, but it was about their Prime Minister.

I feel like since this was Rush's first TV performance in 33 years that they should have let them played uninterupted. I was a little irritated when Stephen went out on stage like he was going to end it, but then it was funny after the commercial break when they were still playing and he took out the pillow and the night cap.

I think it would have been funnier if they played an actual long song like one of their 20 minute epics, or even one of their 10 minute songs instead of just dragging out Tom Sawyer.

Not that I didn't enjoy it, interrupted or no, but does anyone else wish they had played something other than Tom Sawyer? Something off of Snakes & Arrows, say "Far Cry" or "Armor & Sword" or something. Still, very cool to see they basically took over the whole show, although the interruption did blow.

I loved the question about "have you ever written an epic song that was so long that by the time it was finished, you actually ended up influencing yourself?". Classic!

I agree with both of your points. I just saw Rush the other night and they are still a viable band with great new material. I would've expected them to play Far Cry instead of Tom Sawyer, which is almost as old as I am.

I did like that Rush talk dominated the show. The Anthem footage and the Bytor lyrics were classic. I wonder how many people were watching and totally not getting it?

That was great. It did annoy me too when Stephen walked out because it was during my favorite part of the song - the Peart going off section. I understand it though, it is after all a comedy show. I'm sure that was all planned and the band knew it was going to happen.

I always assumed that Neil was a very quiet non-talkative guy, but that sure wasn't the case. He seemed very comfortable and even made a few funnies.

Rush not in the rock n roll hall of fame? Are you kidding me? I am by NO means a big Rush fan (all I have is Moving Pictures and Chronicles) but man. What's next, Jethro Tull winning a metal grammy? Oh wait... Seriously, the hall of fame must be run by very, very, old men who only put in artists that they like. 14 fucking platinum albums? Jesus.

Ah, takes me back to the May 29th show! But........ In concert they were never cut off by either Colbert OR a commercial. Although hearing Colbert say the opening lyrics to By-Tor and the Snow Dog was sooooo cool. I'm watching a repeat of it right now!

Rush not in the rock n roll hall of fame? Are you kidding me? I am by NO means a big Rush fan (all I have is Moving Pictures and Chronicles) but man. What's next, Jethro Tull winning a metal grammy? Oh wait... Seriously, the hall of fame must be run by very, very, old men who only put in artists that they like. 14 fucking platinum albums? Jesus.

They have one of Neil's kits there, too. Yet they haven't been inducted.