Rush

Hello Markus!
As many albums Rush have released, as many different opinions you will get to hear about where to start!

Maybe collect many different voices from people and then go for those recommended most? (It will be interesting to see in general what others will say on this!)

My personal favourites are:

Power Windows
Grace under Pressure
(those two are similar in sound and for me the BEST Rush have ever made - I heard others agree on that, too, but some don't like this particular Rush-phase!)

Counterparts (fairly recent one - wonderfully heavy in parts!)

2112 (an older one - but really special! Many people name this as one of their faves, too)

Roll the Bones (most people love this one!)

Moving Pictures is the one I heard most people mention as their favourite -- best try it!
Personally, I am not so fond of it.

Generally spoken.... you cannot go wrong with Rush!

Good luck and maybe drop a note sometime what you got into?

I think it really matters what style of rush you like the most. If you like the older, long song, progressive stuff...then Hemispheres is the best album to get. if you like their later, shorter song, more pop sounding songs, then i reccomend power windows. But what i also suggest is to get their 2 discs called "retrospective 1&2". One is their best older material, the other is their best newer material. That will give you an ultimate taste for the band. Good luck!

"2112"
"Presto"
"Hemispheres"

That´s my top three

I have a soft spot for their first 2 albums ( Rush, Fly by night ) but i guess it has to do with age and nostalgia. I like their -80 stuff the least. "Power windows" is their worst effort in my opinion with "Grace under pressure" as a close second ( a certain N.G member will not agree ) But i´m not saying that they don´t have their moments. There you are: taste !

Maybe I can be of assistance here,(judging by my user name over there, I'd better be!:D ). Here's a break-down of the different Rush eras. I'll try to keep this brief but still I'd prepare for a good bit of reading if I were you. Pardon me while I steal a catchphrase from the U.S. Navy: Rush, it's not just a band... it's an adventure! Here goes:

1974:
'Rush'(self-titled)
This is the only individual album I'll single-out here due to the fact that it isn't much like any other Rush album. Geddy and Alex have both admitted that when the band started out they wanted to be Led Zeppelin. This debut record proves it. It pretty much just sounds like a Zeppelin clone album. At the time, the band consisted of Geddy Lee on bass and vocals, Alex Lifeson on guitar, and John Rutsey on drums. Rutsey left the band right before their first North American tour and was replaced by Neil Pert. Things would get a lot more interesting after this point.

1975:
'Fly By Night', 'Caress of Steel'
Rush put out two albums in '75. When Pert entered the band, he not only took over drum duties but also the lyric writing duties. He was a well-read individual who had a love of both Science Fiction and philosophy. Thus, from this point on, the songs are far more intelligent and "epic". Musically, the band began exploring the idea of concept music, not so much throughout entire albums but more in the sense of individual songs with several parts encorporating themes. This is mostly seen on 'Caress of Steel'. Still, they didn't stray too far from the Arena Rock sound, as far as instrumentation and approach. Essentially, this is where the band fine-tuned their songwriting before their first real experimental period.

1976-1978:
'2112', 'All The World's A Stage(live)', 'A Farewell To Kings', 'Hemispheres'
By this point the gears were turning at full speed. Basically put, the rest of the band had mangaed to catch-up to Pert's level of intense musicality and conceptual ideas. '2112' is the first true Rush masterpiece and features the twenty-minute "2112 Overture" which, in my opinion, is one of the greatest concept stories ever told in Rock music history. The running lyrical theme throughout all these albums deals with a post-apocolyptic future. Musically, this is the most complex period of Rush. All the time signature changes, shifts in movement, and an excellent grasp of maintaining a theme would be the band's signature for years to come. This is where Rush solidified their place within the elite of Progressive Rock and laid the foundation that many bands would build upon if they didn't want to follow the Yes or ELP style of Progressive music. They would even go so far as to continue the same storyline within two albums with 'A Farewell To Kings' and 'Hemispheres'. However, Rush was never a band who got comfortable within their own sound or ideas. By 1980, another drastic change was on the way...

1980-1984
'Permamnent Waves', 'Moving Pictures', 'Exit... Stage Left(live)', 'Signals', 'Grace Under Pressure'

"All this machinery making modern music
Can still be open-hearted.
Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question
Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty." - "The Spirit Of Radio"

One word: Keyboards. This is the period in which keyboards and synthesisers,(which had been used sparsely on a few of the previous albums) would become a central part of the Rush sound for the next decade. Also, Rush's most recogonisable songs come from these four years. "Tom Sawyer", "The Spirit Of Radio", "Limelight", "Freewill", "Subdivisions", "Distant Early Warning", all from this prolific time. Gone were the long-ranging concepts and epic-length songs. Replacing them were undeniable anthems, arena sing-alongs, catchier melodies, and a more expressive sound. All this while still maintaining, and in some ways expanding, a amazingly high level of musicianship and creativity. Lyrically, topics are very wide throughout with the exception of 'Grace Under Pressure' which is considered to be the band's "dark" album. It was written at a time when one of their mutual friends had passed away and was a very grim album, by Rush standards. All in all, I'd say that this era is the best place to start exploring Rush if you're new to the band.

1985-1989
'Power Windows', 'Hold Your Fire', 'A Show Of Hands(live)'
If Rush ever had a "Pop" period, musically, this is it... or as close to it as Rush could get. Many fans have a grudge against these albums. The keyboards had become the overwhelming instrument by this point. Most of the guitar tones were clean-tone and ambient, usually thrown way back in the mix. The lyrics had taken a complete turn and become, mostly, positive in nature. Neil's philosophycal side had won out over the Sci-Fi concepts completely here and would dictate the lyrics from here on out. The band even broke with tradition and had a guest vocalist,(Aimee Mann) on "Time Stand Still" from 'Hold Your Fire'. Until that point, only the three band members had been on a Rush recording. They would end out both this era and the 80's Rush sound on 'A Show Of Hands' and, once again, take their musical style in a different direction.
*Author's note: While a lot of the other die-hards like to bitch about late 80's Rush, I love this stuff:)! Some of my favorite Rush songs are from these albums.

1989-1998
'Presto', 'Chronicles(greatest hits double CD)', 'Roll The Bones', 'Counterparts', 'Test For Echo', 'Different Stages(live)', 'Victor(Alex Lifeson's solo album)', 'My Favorite Headache(Geddy Lee's solo album)'
Of all the Rush era's, the 90's are probably the most difficult to sum-up. This period saw several albums which varied drastically from one to the other, a good deal of experimentation, some attempts to capture past glory, solo albums by Geddy and Alex, and great tragedy for Neil which nearly ended the band's existence. Musically, the band went for a more back to basics Rock sound which featured Alex a lot more. The keyboards are still there but are used in a more subtle manner. The only real oddity within this era is 'Roll The Bones' which is, once again, more Pop-oriented but features some of the band's most mature songs.

1996's 'Test For Echo' would prove to be a pivitol point in the lifespan of Rush. On the tour for that album, they put on a three hour show which, for the first time, showcased all the different musical periods of the band and included the full twenty minute "2112 Overture" played in its' entirety. Within a one year period between '97 and '98, Neil lost his wife to cancer and his daughter was killed in a car crash. The band went on indeffinate hiatus and there was talk of a possible break-up. The band gave Neil as much time as he needed to deal with his losses before making any concrete decisions. The band got together in 2001 and decided to continue and record a new album. That album is now finished and should be out within the next couple of months.

Well, there ya go! A very basic outline of the different Rush stages. Hope that's of some help. Probably more than you bargained for but there's no such thing as a "simple" question about the band for a Rush fan.

After Analog Kid's reply I can't really think of anything useful to add. My favourite Rush songs come from pretty much all of their eras, so I would have a really hard time picking one album to recommend.
I've probably been listening to Rush my whole life, and when I finally saw them live it was a truly awe-inspiring experience.

Easy to answer... either of the retrospective albums.
Then you can be fucked like I was when I started hunting down albums (to see what was on what album) and end up with all of them too!!

I can't wait for the new album!!!!!!!

Thanks for bringing back the thread. :)
I just wanted to say that I now bought an album. "Fly by night" I listened to it only 1 time now, but I got a shock after hearing his voice. Really much like Led Zeppelin. The parts that aren'T so rocky are pretty good. The other suff is just "too rocky" for me. But I will give it some more listenings.

Rush hadn't hit their high point with Fly by Night... I think the best album to start with for Rush is Moving Pictures. Their transition phase between their 100% prog rock days and their symphonic, experimental days is my favorite (Moving Pictures being the heart of that transitional era). 2112, Hemispheres, Farewell to Kings also are favorites. Like Dag, I'm not much into the 80's stuff (Roll the Bones, Power Windows, etc.)

I agree. "Fly by night" is a great album but if you like more progressive stuff it´s the wrong place to start. Geddy dosen´t sound like that on later album. But "Moving pictures" or "Hemispheres" They kick........

:) Hi there Marcus.

Rush is agreat band. I saw you bought "Fly By Night". And you're right about the Zep influences. If you want to try them out i would suggest the "Chronicles" album. It's a good album covering the early Rush, seventies and eighties. Moving Pictures is agreat album with a couple of classics on.

EAO

This thread has fallen back a bit, I know, but I felt the need to post the following. This is the transcript of a thread I posted on the Opeth board last year. I shared this with a fellow board member tonight and felt it should be re-posted here in this thread. Don't ask me why. I don't know. Perhaps it has some better meaning now since the new Rush album is due out in a few weeks. Either way, if you read this, thanks for your time.

Re-post of a old Rush thread response
-----------------------------------------------------
Damn! So close to much of my own musical herritage. I, however, have only seen them on the "Counterparts" and "TFE" tours,(damn! Wasn't TFE amazing!!!???) I have to give special consideration to seeing them on the "Counterparts" tour because I saw them play "THE ANALOG KID" live on that one!

However, I must admit to having a special affinity to the "Signals" thru "Hold Your Fire" era. Don't get me wrong! I adore the 70's releases, especially "A Farewell To Kings", "Fly By Night", and "2112" but the 80's period is emotionally tied to me forever.

Since saying "enough said" is nowhere near good enough for this board,(hey! It's a Opeth board. If we can't be up-front about emotional experiences here, where can we be?) here's why this period of Rush is so signifcant to me:

At the age of 7, I was listening to Rush, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, and AC/DC regularly due to the accesability I had to such music on the radio,(96 Rock), in Atlanta, Georgia at the time. I already had a copy of "Back In Black" for myself on vinyl and would soon aquire Ozzy's "Diary Of A Madman" and other Metal releases. Of note; this was in the early 80's.

My Metal taste quickliy grew to include Maiden and other bands but my taste for Rush continued and grew as the years passed.

However, my connection to Rush would become much deeper in 1984. My parents divorced in 1981 due to my mother's addiction to prescription drugs,(Darvon, Darvaset, Xanax, etc.) which was brought upon by her Multiple Sclorosis. My Father had tried all he could to help her off the drugs, even going to the expense of putting her into Peachford Recovery Center,(the place that cleaned up Stevie Ray Vaughn). However, while she was there, her Mother brought drugs to her... IN REHAB! Amazing, huh?

Anyway, after the divorce, I was to spend every other Christmas with my Mother,(who was now living with her Mother in a small town in Georgia. Dad and I had moved to Tennessee by this point. My Mother got progressively deeper into her addiction and would do nothing to rehabilitate herself. In 1984 I went to spend Christmas with her. On December 23rd,(two days before Christmas) I went into my Mother's room to wake her up and found her dead. I need not go into any more detail about that here, I think.

I had in my possesion, on that day, my cassette copy of "Grace Under Pressure" by Rush. I can't begin to explain to you how much that album helped me get through that day and the years that would follow, even to this day. For those who don't know about this album, it is Rush's darkest album. Many of the songs deal with the loss they suffered of a mutual friend and also of alienation and simply being at a emotional end. Other topics addressed are the Cold War and the Hollocaust. Put together, these were the songs I NEEDED at that time and on that day.

In the next years which led to the end of the 80's, I grew a kinship to even more Metal because of its' gritty-ness and its' ability to not shy away from reality, no matter how grim. However, at the same time, I also continued to pay close attention to Rush through that period. "Power Windows" and "Hold Your Fire" ascended "Grace Under Pressure's? dark side and represented a hopeful outlook with songs like 'Marathon', 'Hold Your Fire', and 'Time Stand Still'. At the time and still today, those songs proviode me with great inspiration and hope. This is why the 80's "synth? period of Rush is special to me.

And now I find myself in the year 2001. Far removed from the events of 1984. But there is still a connection to that time. Thus, my emotional relationship with the music of Opeth and their real and un-saturated songs of death and loss, as well as their superior musicianship. However, always lingering, there is still Rush. I am extremely interested in hearing the next album by them. Neil Pert,(the drummer) lost both his wife,(to cancer) and daughter.(in a car crash) within the same year several years ago. Rush has been a great catharsis for the greatest loss I have suffered in my life. I only hope that Rush can serve as such for its' members and will help Neil get through his loss through the music they create.