My Favorite RUSH album

OC-Craig

Band Member
Feb 24, 2004
www.odinscourtband.com
One of my favorite bands is Rush. I wanted to spark some interesting dialogue, so I'll start with my favorite album - Caress of Steel. Anyone else agree? Differ?

Why? Well, I'm glad you asked! (OK, face facts... I asked myself! :loco: ) Call me cuckoo, whacko, whatever. I think this album was where Rush really started showing some serious diversity. There are several moods on the album that cater to several different types of listeners. Fortunately for me, I fit into all of the categories!

I won't even bother to broach the subject of specific content since I don't know if anyone's heard the album. Rush even refuses to play any songs off this album on recent tours. Ahhh, well. You can't please everyone.

I'd like to hear other favorites. Cheers!
C :D

Caress is not my favorite, but it's my favorite of their 1st 4 (yes, I like it better than 2112). Like you, I also love the direction they where heading with this album. Bastille Day still kicks my ass, as does the Necromancer. The entire Fountian of Lamneth Suite is a really introspective tour for me, and I guess that's why I connect with it so well. Great, great album.

If I had to choose a favorite, though, it would be Moving Pictures because that's where it all started for me.

My top 3:
1. Moving Pictures
2. Power Windows
3. Hemispheres

RushAss said:
Caress is not my favorite, but it's my favorite of their 1st 4 (yes, I like it better than 2112). Like you, I also love the direction they where heading with this album. Bastille Day still kicks my ass, as does the Necromancer. The entire Fountian of Lamneth Suite is a really introspective tour for me, and I guess that's why I connect with it so well. Great, great album.

If I had to choose a favorite, though, it would be Moving Pictures because that's where it all started for me.

My top 3:
1. Moving Pictures
2. Power Windows
3. Hemispheres
Great choices. Of course, how can you go wrong with Rush? :worship: My tastes change, but currently I'd put Moving Pictures as #2 for me, then Grace Under Pressure. How did I know that RushAss would be the first reply to this post? Do you play, RushAss? Besides with yourself... I think I saw you say something to that effect in another post! I know quite a few on guitar.

Click on my Sig. I'm the guitarist.

And Grace Under Pressure is in my top 5. I love that album! Red Lenses is the only dud on it, IMO. Guitar solo in Beneath The Wheels and Bass Line in Enemy Within are killer. Great songs too. I tend to gravitate towards their darker subject matter. Hence the attraction to Caress of Steel!

RushAss said:
Click on my Sig. I'm the guitarist.

And Grace Under Pressure is in my top 5. I love that album! Red Lenses is the only dud on it, IMO. Guitar solo in Beneath The Wheels and Bass Line in Enemy Within are killer. Great songs too. I tend to gravitate towards their darker subject matter. Hence the attraction to Caress of Steel!
See the subject line? I'm actually referring to your personal webbie, not your band's. The Visions website doesn't render properly in my browser (Mozilla Firefox). I actually spent a good amount of time poking around your site and enjoyed my stay. We'll have to have a chat away from this message board. We have quite a bit in common! Peace out-

Just a little history regarding the first time I ever heard Caress of Steel: I was in college and was pledging for a frat (Alpha Delta Gamma, if you're curious). We had spent a good chunk of the evening wandering around Kansas City's streets and parks blindfolded. We ended up back at the frat house in the basement, still blindfolded and walking around in circles (don't ask) listening to Bolero by Ravel. It's a very long, very repetitive song that I think they were trying to brainwash us with. o_O One by one, they took the pledges up into another room and interrogated us. Then, they spirited us away to another room, once again blindfolded, to think about the events of the evening. Suffice it to say that when I got up into the room and sat blindfolded, The Necromancer had just begun playing very loudly on the stereo. It was very surreal and meditative at first. Since I had never heard it before, I was intrigued and entranced, completely enamored by the perfect aural "landscaped pictures" I was hearing. In my opinion, it was the very best way to hear this album for the first time; a pure auditory experience devoid of any external distraction. I'll never forget that evening.

Anyone else have any good Rush stories to share?
Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!
Craig :D

OC-Craig said:
One of my favorite bands is Rush. I wanted to spark some interesting dialogue, so I'll start with my favorite album - Caress of Steel. Anyone else agree? Differ?

Why? Well, I'm glad you asked! (OK, face facts... I asked myself! :loco: ) Call me cuckoo, whacko, whatever. I think this album was where Rush really started showing some serious diversity. There are several moods on the album that cater to several different types of listeners. Fortunately for me, I fit into all of the categories!

I won't even bother to broach the subject of specific content since I don't know if anyone's heard the album. Rush even refuses to play any songs off this album on recent tours. Ahhh, well. You can't please everyone.

I'd like to hear other favorites. Cheers!
Caress of Steel is a great album, highly underrated and when Rush started forging their own sound and getting away from being a Led Zeppelin/Deep Purple clone. I think it was the first Rush album I ever owned, in fact.

My absolute favorite Rush album is "Hemispheres", but I like pretty much all of their 70s stuff, before their sound got overtaken by the synthesizers.

-- Brett

OC-Craig said:
See the subject line? I'm actually referring to your personal webbie, not your band's. The Visions website doesn't render properly in my browser (Mozilla Firefox). I actually spent a good amount of time poking around your site and enjoyed my stay. We'll have to have a chat away from this message board. We have quite a bit in common! Peace out-
Sounds good!
BTW - I like your Key work on the album. Very well done without being overbearing. In other words, tasteful.

RushAss said:
Sounds good!
BTW - I like your Key work on the album. Very well done without being overbearing. In other words, tasteful.
Thanks, man. For those that don't know, Matt did the keys for the original demo. All of those songs remain unchanged as far as keys go. I did the keys for the all of new stuff minus the transitionary pieces.
Cheers!