Best Rush album post-Moving Pictures?

Douglas A. Ott said:
I will say this though, there is a certain thing that Rush did in their writing that moved me more than anything and that was the emotion that seems to have dropped out in past years. One album that I don't think has been mentioned that I absolutely love was Permanant Waves.

Doug

Hmmm. I actually think that the song writing became more emotional starting with Signals and continued to get better for the next 7-8 years along with Geddy's singing voice. This peaked for me with Hold Your Fire which to me is the most emotionally charged Rush album bar none and hence, is my favorite Rush album too.

As much as I cranked out all the ByTorXanaduX1LaVillaScienceCameraEye, a lot of that now sounds dated to my ear instead of "Classic" where as "Time Stand Still", however simplistic & pop, always gives me goosebumps & brings a tear to my eye. :erk: :oops:

Reynard said:
Hmmm. I actually think that the song writing became more emotional starting with Signals and continued to get better for the next 7-8 years along with Geddy's singing voice. This peaked for me with Hold Your Fire which to me is the most emotionally charged Rush album bar none and hence, is my favorite Rush album too.

As much as I cranked out all the ByTorXanaduX1LaVillaScienceCameraEye, a lot of that now sounds dated to my ear instead of "Classic" where as "Time Stand Still", however simplistic & pop, always gives me goosebumps & brings a tear to my eye. :erk: :oops:
I totally agree, Reynard!

I just got "Hold your Fire" yesterday... actually, it´s just typical 80s rock fare, but Rush, as always, do it with as much style and as good as it can be.
Alex´ guitar sounds elegant and does contribute to the songs, no matter how hard it is to hear at times. Geddy´s voice has really matured compared to their older discs, and his bass is PUMPIN´ IT! Really reminds me where Ed got his inspiration from time to time. :)
Early song favourites include "Force Ten", "Prime Mover" and "Time Stands Still", where the uncertain melancholy reminds me of Enchant tunes such as "In the Dark" sometimes.

As I´m absolutely loving the song "Nobody´s Hero" right now, I think I´m gonna get "Counterparts" next.

The Stormbringer said:
I just got "Hold your Fire" yesterday... actually, it´s just typical 80s rock fare, but Rush, as always, do it with as much style and as good as it can be.

Alex´ guitar sounds elegant and does contribute to the songs, no matter how hard it is to hear at times. Geddy´s voice has really matured compared to their older discs, and his bass is PUMPIN´ IT! Really reminds me where Ed got his inspiration from time to time. :)

Early song favourites include "Force Ten", "Prime Mover" and "Time Stands Still", where the uncertain melancholy reminds me of Enchant tunes such as "In the Dark" sometimes.

As I´m absolutely loving the song "Nobody´s Hero" right now, I think I´m gonna get "Counterparts" next.
Hold your Fire was indeed a huge inspiration for Enchant at the time of its release, especially Doug Paul and myself. Open Secrets might be my favorite Rush song or at least one of them. That is a beautiful song.

I was very inspired by the tone Geddy got from his Steinberger L2Wal 4 even though I did not care for those nearly as much as the Jazz Basses or of course the godlike Ric 4001's his tone was still incredible on Hold your Fire and the other albums around the time!

The bass is pumpin and very fat sounding! The basslines on this album were a huge inspiration for me as are most of Geddys lines.

Nobodys Hero is another amazing song! one of my other all time favorites! Get Countparts if you don,t have it!

I am listening to Test for Echo a lot latley, what a show that was on the tour! they are back in July for us in the Bay Area which will be really great.

Except for "Hold your Fire", I don´t have any of the more contemporary Rush albums yet. I got the "usual suspects" (2112 to Moving Pictures) first, and it was mostly due to the latter as well as "Permanent Waves" that Rush quickly became on of my top tier favourite bands. They give me the impression I have to get all their albums, and I also think their post-prog stuff will be able to sustain that feeling. :)
As was said, I´m getting "Counterparts" as soon as possible. After that, I´ll hop between the 80s, the 90s and the early 70s... "Caress of Steel" here, "Power Windows" there, "Test for Echo" elsewhere... :)

Bumpety-bump...

Okay, so a good eight months have passed since I purchased "Hold Your Fire", and my Rush album count clocks in at 14 now (every one except for the first two and "Test for Echo")... time for a little in-depth view on 'em.

I still rate the two transitional albums splicing together their lovably quirky old stuff and their more polished, but just as deep and elaborate 80s sound, i.e. "Permanent Waves" and "Moving Pictures" as their peak moments. Lots and lots of indispensable cult classics ("The Spirit of Radio", "Free Will", "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight"...) and more surprising, innovative pieces ("Witch Hunt", "Vital Signs"), combined to form two absolutely flawless albums. Nothing more to say about it.

Having peaked in 1981 doesn't mean it was all downhill from there though... in fact, I think that the "pop years" were their most consistent era. "Hold Your Fire" might still be my secret favourite, although a lot of people seem to be down on it. "Time Stand Still", "Prime Mover" or "Open Secrets" never fail to hit me in a soft spot. The album as a whole just is put together so well... definitely greater than the sum of its parts. I think I already mentioned how much I love the sound of Geddy's bass... ;)
"Power Windows" is another favourite, a little more rough and adventurous than its successor. I'm loving the driving energy of "Marathon", the anxiety of "Manhattan Project", the honesty of "Emotion Detector", the sheer magic of "Mystic Rhythms"! Doug's right about Alex really busting out some really unique solos on there, by the way.
"Signals" was a big, big step for the band... I'd say this is their most synth-driven piece of work. Lots of songs that are absolutely unique in their catalogue on there, too ("Digital Man", "The Weapon", "Losing it")... and who can't relate to "Subdivisions"?
"Grace under Pressure" is the weakest of the bunch if you ask me (don't care too much for "The Body Electric"), but still great and a little more "rocking" than "Signals". "Kid Gloves" is an absolutely underappreciated little gem (the bass solo is pure punk!), "Afterimage" and "Red Sector A" hauntingly emotive. "Red Lenses" is a little too weird... I love the outro bass solo, though - funkin' Geddy!

I was surprised at how well "Presto" worked, the band absolutely restraining and committing themselves to melody. "Show Don't Tell", "Chain Lightning", "Anagram (for Mongo)" (gotta love Neil's lyrics!), "Red Tide", "The Pass" of course... not a single bad song on there. Rush dipping lightly into elegant jazz rock with "Available Light" is an interesting sight (hear?) as well.
Whoever said "Roll the Bones" sucked... well, I thoroughly object. Its predecessor might be a little more even, but RTB offers the three best 90s songs by Rush - "Dreamline", "Bravado" and the title track - in my opinion. "The Big Wheel" or the amazingly upbeat "Face Up" are nearly able to reach the lofty heights of "Presto" as well, though.
"Counterparts" is a very good album, but didn't age as well as the others. Still some great stuff on there, like the wonderfully melodic "Animate", the bone-chilling "Nobody's Hero", the positively weird "Leave that Thing Alone" or the simple, poppy, but oh-so beautiful "Everyday Glory"... quite a few of the remaining songs couldn't sustain my interest that well, though.

Last, I'd like to comment on "Vapor Trails", given that a lot of Rushians seemed to be disappointed with it. I'd agree that the album demands a great deal of the listener from time to time (gritty sound, shrill background screams), but that's the reason I deem it more interesting than the stuff from T4E I know. Besides, after a couple of listening sessions, you can reach behind the rugged surface and discover the beauty behind, as with "Sweet Miracle", "Vapor Trail" or "Secret Touch". The unmistakeably angry "Peacable Kingdom" is cool as well. I really like the album... but, in all honesty, I'm virtually unable to dislike any one of them, just like Frank.

A list I can't really compile, but I'll do my best... (a "Rough Draft", so to speak)
1. Moving Pictures
2. Permanent Waves
3. Hold Your Fire
4. Power Windows
5. Roll the Bones
6. Signals
7. ...

Nah, forget it... tomorrow's list would look different for sure.

Excuse me for resurrecting this, but Rush is too great a topic not to discuss it. ;)

Hello once again,

funny to see such a long thread dealing with RUSH in the Enchant forum, as I have only recently taken out all their albums from my collection, mainly to relive the past thirty years while listening to their work.

I had found out about Rush in a monthly magazine in autumn of '74 and tried to get a copy of their first effort. The cover disappointed me I can remember but I liked the sheer energy as I was into LedZep too, grew long hair (then) and felt unbelieveably cool with my jeans and an army jacket, going to concerts and collect every item I could get of my favourite band. My friend sthought that Geddy sounded awful and disliked his voice, today I just cannot imagine their songs being sung by anyone else.

But I liked more than just rock, I loved the art rock of that time and when RUSH changed their direction to melodic tunes I could follow easily.

So, as time went on I felt that RUSH was a a musical sponge, absorbing the zeitgeist in their own special way (Funny, as I read that expression on Enchant's website, it applies for them too), changing their direction as a reaction to what was going on around them with an astounding professionalism.

Over the years I have grown older with their music but still I like Power Windows best and this album would be my no.1 choice for the "abandoned island thing". But there are more pearls in the ocean than anyone could ever find, even those little moments, riffs, emotions, the drive, the energy of just some notes strung together.

This is what I like in Enchant, too, there are great songs, great albums but there are definetely enchanted moments in every song. (Right now I am listening to the end solo of Broken Wave).

As for RUSH, those who own the records, try the following...

:D The end solo on Countdown with Geddy on the moog and Alex delivering his famous power and sus-chords.

:worship: The transition of the first part to the second in Natural Science and back again after the fast passage.

:Spin: the fade out of Vital Signs

:headbang: the refrain in Earthshine

or anyone of the above mentioned

My favourite albums are:

Power Windows
Moving Pictures
Roll The Bones
Hold Your Fire
Presto
Permanent Waves

Doug, maybe that's why the folks here dig your guitar work that much, you seem to have a similar approach to playing the axe compared to Alex (sometimes). The difference in my opinion is that you ALWAYS come up with a melody whereas Alex sometimes produces harmonics and intentional disharmonics using power chords that seem to lack a very-easy-to-remember melody. Last week I figured out the Pure-solo which was pretty much showing me the limits of my abilities (speedwise), I should stick to playing rhythm guitar until I die...lol

I really enjoy you and Ed being around here frequently, maybe I am too stupid to know the other one's nicks, but I guess the keyboard, rhythm and voice section is too busy... :D

Reading this thread and the latest replies brought back some good memories.

My first Rush concert was during the Signals tour. I've been to every tour since then. The past few tours with 3 hour shows have been just awesome, but I think the one that made the biggest impression on me was the Grace Under Pressure Tour.

I will always remember Red Sector A. The bass shook my chest and the lasers surrounded us on the flool like prison bars. It was very overwhelming. I'm getting chills right now.

I also remember the Power Window tour. I had listened to Marathon hundreds of times and always had a vision of me, tirelessly running through cities and countrysides. That is exactly what the backdrop video was at the concert. It was awesome!

.....and right how I'm reading the lyrics to Territories.......how pertinent still today

I firmly believe with all my musical heart, that Enchant could have been, and can be THE perfect opening act for Rush. And when Geddy, Alex, and Neil retire, Enchant could step right in.

...that sounds more juvenile than I intended, but...I don't know how to put it any better.

The Stormbringer said:
Last, I'd like to comment on "Vapor Trails", given that a lot of Rushians seemed to be disappointed with it. I'd agree that the album demands a great deal of the listener from time to time (gritty sound, shrill background screams), but that's the reason I deem it more interesting than the stuff from T4E I know. Besides, after a couple of listening sessions, you can reach behind the rugged surface and discover the beauty behind, as with "Sweet Miracle", "Vapor Trail" or "Secret Touch". The unmistakeably angry "Peacable Kingdom" is cool as well. I really like the album... but, in all honesty, I'm virtually unable to dislike any one of them, just like Frank.

Well I am one of those people definitely NOT dissapointed with Vapor Trails - it didn't fully 'click' with me upon the first listen but each song began to really work for me each consecutive listen. And I too find it MUCH more interesting an album and more enjoyable to listen to than Test for Echo. There just seems to be something 'missing' on that album for me. Some piece of the puzzle that gets me invested in the songs and isn't there.

And to throw something else into the mix, if you read Neil's book GHOST RIDER, not just the same-named song but pretty much the entire album will have an extra emotional punch each time you listen to it, since you really get a look at where Neil's head and heart was when the basics for a lot of the lyrics were 'born'.

Frank said:
I will always remember Red Sector A. The bass shook my chest and the lasers surrounded us on the flool like prison bars. It was very overwhelming. I'm getting chills right now.

Even after hearing the song 100s of times and seeing it played Live plenty of times, the combination of hearing it live on the last tour and that video they run of the faceless 'automatons' dancing in synchronization with the music, still sends that chill up my spine....
:headbang:

I like their synthesizer-driven period the best. "Power Windows" is probably my favorite, but GUP and HYF are both amazing. "Presto" has more of a traditional feel, but the same strong songwriting. It's also a big favorite of mine. Songs like "Available Light", "The Pass", "Show Don't Tell" and "Chain Lightning" show their understanding for rich melodies and audiophile instrumentation.

The three 90s albums are all very average... only a cuople of good songs on those albums. "Vapor Trails" is a god-awful statement of Anti-music. The single biggest dissapointment I've ever witnessed. It's not Rush... shit, I get so depressed when I think about it.

Tangerine Dreamer said:
I like their synthesizer-driven period the best. "Power Windows" is probably my favorite, but GUP and HYF are both amazing. "Presto" has more of a traditional feel, but the same strong songwriting. It's also a big favorite of mine. Songs like "Available Light", "The Pass", "Show Don't Tell" and "Chain Lightning" show their understanding for rich melodies and audiophile instrumentation.

The three 90s albums are all very average... only a cuople of good songs on those albums. "Vapor Trails" is a god-awful statement of Anti-music. The single biggest dissapointment I've ever witnessed. It's not Rush... shit, I get so depressed when I think about it.
I couldn't have put either statement, better myself!!! Grace Under Pressure holds a very special place for me, as my 1st Rush album, and I spent many a teenage night, practising my air guitar to that baby!! o_O

Wilkie said:
I couldn't have put either statement, better myself!!! Grace Under Pressure holds a very special place for me, as my 1st Rush album, and I spent many a teenage night, practising my air guitar to that baby!! o_O
Heh... funny. "Distant Early Warning" off of GUP was in fact the first song I learned to play (on bass), which is why it has a very special meaning for me as well. :Spin:

Burke said:
And to throw something else into the mix, if you read Neil's book GHOST RIDER, not just the same-named song but pretty much the entire album will have an extra emotional punch each time you listen to it, since you really get a look at where Neil's head and heart was when the basics for a lot of the lyrics were 'born'.
I think Neil's admirable approach to everything that had happened to him comes across well enough in songs like "Sweet Miracle" or "Secret Touch"... life is the power that remains...

What an excellent question...

Power Windows holds so many memories for me... it was when i was first getting into Rush, and after the obligitory Moving Pictures purchase, stands out as something special. I think Geddy was at his peak here... the speed, his parts... I love his playing behind Alex's solo on Emotion Detector...

Gotta agree with Ed on HYF... Open Secrets is one of the best Rush songs ever... Geddy's bass on that is outstanding. I just got a Wal off of eBay which is identical to Geddy's on PoW, HYF and Presto (excpet his has gold hardware, and mine has chrome) and the tone is amazing...

But as for the BEST post-MP album, I have to go with Vapor Trails... it says so much about the band and how they still manage to evolve the Rush sound, even through what Neil went through... I mean, how much balls do they have to actually do another part of "Fear"?

...although I am trying to learn all of "Limbo" on TFE... kicks ass...