Your Top 25 Favorite Albums Thread

Hmmm...first time I listened to Marillion left a bad taste in my ears, but I relistened to Script for a Jester's Tear maybe a week ago and really enjoyed it. I don't know what I was missing before, but I "get it" now, I guess. The post-Fish era I still do not get, though - I listened to Marbles and it sounded like some sort of OK Computer imitation to me. Which is fine, I guess - Script is a Lamb lies Down on Broadway imitation - but I'm just not fond of that later style of music.

It's quite easy to get into post-Fish Marillion.

Click this link:

Choose 480p. Crank it up.
Relax, listen.
Congratulations you've now unlocked hours upon hours of the greatest music on Earth.

Edit: fucking auto-embedding shit forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is tough enough as it is so no particular order

SyX-V
SyX- Odyssey
Adagio- Underworld
X-Japan- Blueblood
X-Japan- Art of Life (EP)
PoS- BE
Evergrey- Recreation Day
Zero Hour- Towers of Avarice
PoS- Remedy Lane
SyX- TiO
Dark Tranquillity- Damage Done
Evergrey- In Search of Truth
Evergrey- The Inner Circle
SyX- TDWoT
Angra- Rebirth
Soilwork- Natural Born Chaos
Sonata Arctica- Reckoning Night
Savatage- The Wake of Magellan
Ayreon- 0101101
Opeth- Ghost Reveries
Therion- Sitra Ahra
Madsword- The Global Village
Orphaned Land- The Neverending Way of OrwarriOR
Sun Caged- Sun Caged
Cea Serin- Where memories combine...

These are some I struggled with wanting to put in as well..

Sonata Arctica- Ecliptica
Dir en grey- Gauze
Ayreon- Into the Electric Castle
Versailles- Noble
X-Japan- Jealousy
Dir en grey- Vulgar
Fair to Midland- Fables from a Mayfly
Angra- Temple of Shadows

It's quite easy to get into post-Fish Marillion.

Click this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBRjiyN9-E
Choose 480p. Crank it up.
Relax, listen.
Congratulations you've now unlocked hours upon hours of the greatest music on Earth.

Edit: fucking auto-embedding shit forums.

Still don't get it. They play and sing well, but I'm just not interested in the music. I'll come back to it in three years or so. I still like the list overall, though.

I just couldn't get into Psychotic Waltz either, no matter how much I tried. Listened to "Into the Everflow" album and it sounded plain boring and the production sucked. Ah well.

the production is the best ever, according to Dan Swanö. youtube quality is shit though.

Dan is right. Season's End is probably one of my proudest albums to own. Along with Happiness Is The Road, This Strange Engine, Marbles (especially Ocean Cloud). They're definitely not for metal fans or prognerds. Even Fish's solo career is more a parallel to where Marillion went in the 90s than the first few albums. Certainly one of the higher quality bands around and imo one of the best.

EDIT: I think it might just be because their music is about something. It stands out as one of the circle of bands that write about meaningful topics, in a sea of prog bands writing about what you might see on an acid trip.

Sounds like Steve Walsh singing a Disney song to me

And who says prog isn't meaningful? Case in point -

Chew on that for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: I like King Crimson. But you can't defend modern prog with a straight face like that. There's some great stuff but the stereotype holds really, really well.

dissing marillion, you guys have no taste :p

I adore the classic Marillion lineup; just not post. That's not 'dissing'; it's revering the lineup that made something from nothing(well not nothing, they had a major Genesis influence) into something great.

I don't know who this modern lineup is.

:lol: I like King Crimson. But you can't defend modern prog with a straight face like that. There's some great stuff but the stereotype holds really, really well.

dissing marillion, you guys have no taste :p

I think I'm okay with being tasteless. But if it makes you feel better, I'm not about to go listen to Spock's Beard or The Flower Kings. In the meantime I will mature when I damn well feel like it. :zzz:

^Yeah, their previous albums sound better. I find drums also to sound too loud and even off-time at parts.