Top 50 Albums of 2015

So based on your review of Bell Witch I should give up any hope of having Paradise Lost or My Dying Bride at the fest?

This is probably my second favorite thread of the year behind the annual ProgPower band announcements. I have to admit, I feel like I do a fairly good job of keeping up with the new releases and yet there’s always some music in here that have me scratching my head and think how the hell did I miss out on this. From this years list that would include The Chronicle Project, Io Earth & Bell Witch. My initial thought when hearing those was holy crap this is great. (Granted I haven’t had a chance to check out Karnataka, Melechesh & Subterranean Masquerade). Likewise, I really enjoy reading everyone’s favorite list because we all have such diverse taste.

I have to say this is a pretty solid list, there’s not many surprises to anyone that reads the forum on a regular basis. Bands like Gloryhammer, The Paralydium Project & Zierler got a lot of love from the members when there were threads posted on their releases. But like I said there’s always a few on this list that slip by unseen and unheard and that’s what makes this thread so much fun.

I’m looking forward to hearing other people’s thoughts on bands that might have been omitted from the list to see what else I missed out on.

Last edited:
So based on your review of Bell Witch I should give up any hope of having Paradise Lost or My Dying Bride at the fest?

Glenn had While Heaven Wept play the festival so I think there's always a glimmer of hope for another doom band. I know some people wouldnt pigeonhole them as doom but IMO that's where their roots are firmly entrenched in). If I had 1 last wish I'd love to see Isole play. They would just crush it in a live setting. Thier release Bliss of Solitude was one of my favorite CDs of 2008 regardless of genre.

Last edited:
Woo! I did a remarkably good job keeping up this year. Only a couple out of those 50 were unknown to me, and several were already on my list of bands to further investigate. A lot of my top 10 are in Glenn's 50, I think. And I second what Oblivion Ocean said about the new Soilwork. When you get another itch for Melodeath you should reach for it, because it's really a great album. It's a worthy successor to the monster The Living Infinite.

I feel like I accidentally called Shattered Skies as a booked band when I asked about how it affected their set (though I was clearly out of my mind because I was thinking they were playing this year's fest).

This thread is fantastic for learning. Today I learned that I really REALLY like Sound Struggle. I also really REALLY like Native Construct's album.

Edit: And Teramaze. That's a 1 listen instant hook. Stunning album.

Last edited:
Reactions: zinescene
Well, I'm only 23/50. Some are still on the list of things to check out; some I know aren't my cup of tea; others I'd never heard of - and will put 'em on the list. Some glaring omissions (imo)

Subsignal
Forgotten Suns
Soul Secret
Spock's Beard
Impelliteri
Lande/Holter
Level 10
Manimal
The Poodles
Phantasma
Stratovarius
Trivium
Angra (though some argue it was released in 2014)

Surely you heard some of those... and to not make the list? Would be curious to see what other albums DIDN'T make the cut.

It's been a good year for music.

Reactions: Davide Guidone
Its simple....those things that are your cup of tea replaced your glaring omissions.

And for the record, I did hear all of those on your list. A couple of them would not have made my Top 100. Different strokes....

G.

P.S. Angra was on my 2014 list.

49. Night Demon- Screams in the Night: I don’t own a denim vest with band patches, but I still enjoy a good NWOBHM homage when done correctly. This disc takes me back to the days of Diamond Head, Tygers of Pang Tang, and puberty.

Sorry to be picky, but the album is "Curse Of The Damned". Loves me some Night Demon!!!

Otherwise, thanks for your efforts.....always gives me more stuff to look for!

Last edited:
And it would have been funny as hell if you started a second thread about it.

ISEE.gif

I look forward to this thread every year. Glenn, and the other members here, point me towards some great music that I've missed. I'd like to mention one disc I haven't seen receive any love from this board: Neal Morse's The Grand Experiment. The 25 minute closing track, Alive Again, is my song of the year. For those of you concerned about his penchant for preachiness, you have to reach really far to label any of this disc "preachy". The song "Agenda" is a clunker though.