Top 50 of 2017

17. Wind Rose- Stonehymn: DWARVEN METAL, YOU BITCHES!! Folksy power metal that throws a few curves into the conventional songwriting structure. It’s so epic that even Gimli would be proud. Bonus points for the high kicks the vocalist pulls off in the video as well. HOO HAA. HOO HA. Hand me the axe, motherfuckers. I’m off to kill a Dungeon Master.

LMAO!!!

Definitely agree with Voyager, Orden Ogan, Sorcerer, and Stonehymn. I agree with @ProgJulie that Pallbearer deserves some love. In addition, I'd like to throw in The Obsessed into the mix with their new album "Sacred". First album they've done in years.

Last edited:
lots of stuff I missed as usual. The only one I was surprised at not making the list is the new Prospekt album, because along with Daydream XI and Alestorm, that was another one you were playing a lot when I was visiting this summer

I don't DISlike her at all - I've got a few Mandylion/Gathering albums around here, and there are a handful of songs I do really like, but on the whole she just doesn't do much for me... and I really don't like her voice paired with the Cavanaghs for some reason.

I'm going to have to agree with Glenn on this one. I do enjoy The Optimist, but this is the Anathema album I was hoping for. Anneke can do no wrong for me...but to each their own ;)

Reactions: MelbCro
As usual, a few I haven't heard of, but like, a few I haven't heard of and don't like, and a general mix of albums I liked this year as well.

My current phone app has a shittier interface, but going to my most played, nothing from 2017 gets into the top spots....

I really liked the Wind Rose and Eluveitie albums. Labyrinth, Orden Ogan, Alestorm and Threshold were of course great.

Some albums I enjoyed but didn't see in this thread (or missed) were the Keldian, Ferrymen and Anthriel albums.

Bands didn't see here with 2017 releases, but have no opinion on yet (very hard time listening at work lately), Secret Sphere, Ten, Serious Black, Seven Kingdoms, Adagio, Anubis Gate.

I remember that Glenn had said in advance of the PoS that "I suggest fans lower their expectations of the album," so it's not really a surprise to see it miss the list. I expected Disperse to make it, though. MindMaze, Pyramaze, Galactic Cowboys, and Anthriel are some of my other power or prog-metal choices.

I checked out The Vicious Head Society and I can definitely hear the Threshold comparison as some of the riffs and even one of the key solos sound almost the same, and it feels like they have multiple singers, one of which sounds like Damian but crossed with Serj Tankian. My Atlanta buddy is going to rank it #1 this year.

1. Pain Of Salvation- In The Passing Light of Day
  2. Daydream XI - The Circus of the Tattered and Torn
  3. Need- Hegaimas
  4. Cellar Darling- This Is The Sound
  5. Witherfall- Nocturnes And Requiems
  6. Greta Van Fleet- Black Smoke Rising/ From The Fires
  7. LA Guns- The Missing Peace
  8. Sorcerer- The Crowning Of The Fire King
  9. Black Star Riders- Heavy Fire
  10. Unleash The Archers- Apex
  11. Below- Upon A Pale Horse
  12. Seven Spires- Solveig
  13. Anubis Gate- Black
  14. Communic- Where Echoes Gather
  15. Damnations Day- A World Awakens
  16. Lancer- Mastery
  17. Elder-Reflections Of A Floating World
  18. Voyager- Ghost Mile
  19. Labyrinth- Architecture Of A God
  20. Lonely Robot- The Big Dream
  21. Lynch Mob- The Brotherhood
  22. Ram- Rod
  23. River Dogs- California
  24. Soen- Lykaia
  25. The Ferrymen
  26. Vangough- Warpaint
  27. Soul Secret- Babel
  28. Tuesday The Sky- Drift
  29. Nocturnal Rites- Phoenix
  30. Lunar- Theogony
  31. Psychedelic Witchcraft- Magic Rites And Spells
  32. Pallbearer- Heartless
  33. Mastodon- Emperor of Sand
  34. Ne Oblivicaris- Urn
  35. Lunatic Soul- Fractured
  36. Blackfield- V
  37. Gregg Allman- Southern Blood
  38. Nova Collective- The Further Side
  39. Moon kings- MKII
  40. Goldray- Rising
  41. Vain- Rolling With The Punches

Last edited:
Awesome as always Glenn. I haven't listened to it all, but its 90% new to me and I always find a few gems to pick up after you post this!

Wait!!! What happened to IN THE PASSING LIGHT OF DAY? Heard it a few days ago for the first time (catching up) and it kicked my ass all the way to next year! I was waiting to see it somewhere there, Glenn.

Woot! Can't wait to work my way thru these. Not a lot of overlap from what I'd consider the top albums of the year, so I've got a lot of new '17 albums to listen to this month. Noticably absent though... Pyramaze, Mindmaze, Vandroya, and Firewind. Shocked those wouldn't make the cut.

There are about a dozen other gems that would've made my top list as well - Stamina, Ancestral Dawn, Arthemis, Jorn, Dream Evil, and Eagleheart. Love the shout out for Night Flight Orchestra too! Top 5 of the year for me.

Whereas our tastes once ran along parallel paths, they've now diverged quite a bit. Your Top 50 and my own have but two records in common; Sorcerer (#25) and Kreator (#30). That said, I did grab the names of five records from this list that I'll make it a point to spin before year end:

Progenie Terrestre Pura - oltreLuna
The Thirteenth Sun - Planes of Creation
Victorius - Heart of the Phoenix
Inglorious - II
Beast in Black - Berserker

Thanks.

Whereas our tastes once ran along parallel paths, they've now diverged quite a bit. Your Top 50 and my own have but two records in common; Sorcerer (#25) and Kreator (#30). That said, I did grab the names of five records from this list that I'll make it a point to spin before year end:

Progenie Terrestre Pura - oltreLuna
The Thirteenth Sun - Planes of Creation
Victorius - Heart of the Phoenix
Inglorious - II
Beast in Black - Berserker

Thanks.

I can't even pronounce half the bands you listen to these days. :)

I can't even pronounce half the bands you listen to these days. :)

LOL. While black metal and death metal still dominate my listening cycles, I've also been listening to a fair amount of stoner stuff lately, some of which is fairly rock-oriented and might be up your alley. Here's a few that you might like:

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World. Perhaps the most progressive and expansive of the bunch.
The Age of Truth - Threshold. They sometimes feel like a toned down Monster Magnet, with a vocalist who occasionally slips into full on Cornell.
Woodhawk - Beyond the Sun. Practically a straight up hard rock band, with something of a stoner ethos.

Very surprised to see Threshold at number 20. For me, it's the AOTY in any genre, but definitely in the power/prog scene, which suffered mightily in 2017 compared to other genres (death metal especially, which kicked so much ass this year with Ascended Dead, The Ominous Circle etc).

First of all I want to say it is beyond cool to see Galneryus in this list. That was my album of the year. I will look into One Desire, Victorious, and Savage Messiah. Thanks!

Always enjoy your list G.

Some thoughts on those of interest.

Jono- Life
Nice step up from Silence imo. Heavier overall, still theatrical, but less show tune like if that makes sense. I'm liking this. Love his over the top voice personally.

The Tangent- The Slow Rust of Forgotten Machinery
I need to check further into this one

Widek- Hidden Dimensions
Good stuff. Fans of Intervals should check them out.

The Thirteenth Sun- Planes of Creation
Missed the original buzz on this. Can hear the Opeth comparison. Will check further into.

Damnation’s Day- A World Awakens
Another I over looked. Like the song you posted.

Seven Spires- Solveig
I don't know if I ever heard a vocalist like Adrienne. Pretty amazing really. I enjoy some of this, and they nailed live it at PP.

Leprous- Malina
Follows the formula of the last few. Good if you don't mind more of the same.

Ne Obliviscarus- Urn
Love/hate this. Good clean vocals, & annoying blast beats and barking. Very talented, but I can only take so much of this before I shut it off.

Nova Collective- The Further Side
Sign me the fuck up too! Love it!

Aeternam- Ruins of Empires
Never heard of this one until now. OL is a good comparison. Not on that level for me, but still. Nice song you posted. The vocals became a bit of a turn off after streaming on bandcamp. It can get quite brutal at times. Still I'm intrigued.

Vicious Head Society- Abject Tomorrow
Quite good. I've been holding out for the rerelese with bonus track.

Kairon, IRSE!
Interesting, and I need to go back to it.

Diablo Swing Orchestra- Pacifisticuffs
Had to adjust to the new vocalist, but I'm totally in love with this one now. Should make my top 10.

Mother of Millions- Sigma: Dark
Interesting. Took a listen on bandcamp, and while it didn't blow me away, I will give it another spin to see where it goes.

Sons of Apollo- Psychotic Symphony
Agreed. They need to find their identity a bit more. Love the more proggy tunes, and I hope they head that way if they do another record.

Vuur- In This Moment We Are Free
Yea, never expected these heavy riffs. Good stuff!

Persefone- Aathma
Reminds of Cynic. Insane playing. Not my style of vocals either, but musically it is really melodic while being technical. That holds my interest to some degree. Better vocals and this is top 10 for me.

Inglorious- II
Really good for this style.

Wobbler- From Silence to Somewhere
Have not heard a note, but on the huge back log list.

Ayreon- The Source
I think this is one of Arjen's very best. What a cast of vocalist, and some of these riffs we have never heard from him before.

Threshold- Legends of the Shires
I don't know if I'm burning out on Threshold or what. Other than a few songs, this didn't grab me too much. A little bloated I think. I do plan on a another visit down the road.

Sorcerer- The Crowning of the Fire King
Really good melodic doom. Can that really co-exist? It does on this one.

Need- Hegaiamas
Should make my top 5.

Intervals- The Way Forward
Makes me all warm and fuzzy feeling. Looking forward to seeing them live again in a month or so.

Tetrafusion- Dreaming of Sleep
Well said. Been a fan since their debut. They keep getting better.

Voyager- Ghost Mile
They never made a bad record yet. Always puts me in a happy place.

Soen- Lykaia
Won't be as high on my list, but I do enjoy this one.

The Contortionist- Clairvoyant
Really moody, and atmospheric. Was a bit of grower for me. Seeing them live helped as well.

Zaius- Of Adoration
Will check this out further.

The Dark Element- The Dark Element
Some big time Nightwish going on during a few tracks. Solid, though.

Daniel Cavanagh- Monochrome
A total mood listen for me. Darkly beautiful and moving.

Caligula’s Horse- In Contact
Disc of the year contender for me.

Alestorm- No Grave But the Sea
Where's the rum?

Daydream XI- The Circus of the Tattered & Torn
Yea, a disc of the year contender for me as well. Love when something like this comes out of nowhere and knocks us on our asses!