Top 50 Albums of 2015

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Welcome to the big pain in the ass Top 50 of 2015 list! There may be another month left, but I have received essentially all of the unreleased discs for this year I’m interested in. I encourage you to take your time with
sampling all of the music below. I guarantee you missed a few gems along the way.

For those unfamiliar, this is my annual post where I put politics and label/band relationships aside. You get my honest thoughts on the releases that caught my interest this past year across numerous heavy rock/metal genres.

Disclaimer:

a.This list caters to my personal taste, not the full spectrum of metal genres. If you are looking for tons of death metal, black metal, whateverthefuckcore metal, or anything like that…move along…nothing to see here.

b.I do not rank albums based on pure musical instrumentation ability or sonic clarity. While I fully believe technical chops demonstrate musical superiority in many aspects, I also think it is just as hard to write a *good* hook that draws a listener back again and again. Furthermore, a passionate vocal delivery that adds emotional depth to the lyrics wins out over power/range most of the time.

c.There is no right or wrong to this list. Music is a subjective listening experience. My opinion is no more valid than yours if we are on opposite sides of the fence.

d.I do not listen to every single release. If your favorite disc did not make the list, I may simply not have heard it…or I could have thought it sucked.

e.Keep in mind a highly ranked disc in any genre may not make the list. For example, the 10th best power metal disc of the year is not there. It’s still a great record, but there are only so many slots.

f.I may have simply forgotten a release. I reserve the right to insert a disc into the list at any time. It happens every year.

50. The Chronicles Project- When Darkness Falls: This is actually just a place holder. Everything will possibly shift once I hear the full disc. I have only heard the one song and that was enough to know it would place in the Top 50. Having Vasilis Gerogiou as one of your vocalists solidifies it.

49. Night Demon- Curse of the Damned: I don’t own a denim vest with band patches, but I still enjoy a good NWOBHM homage when done correctly. This disc takes me back to the days of Diamond Head, Tygers of Pang Tang, and puberty.

48. Four Phantoms- Bell Witch: I pretty much loathe & despise all things doom. I couldn’t tell you the difference between “funeral doom” & “unicorn folk dancin’ doom.” It’s just doom. I checked this one out because there are two (2!) 22 minute songs on the disc. I was unable to resist as the crushing atmosphere and the brutal riffs just drown you. I couldn’t listen to this on a regular basis, but it’s awesome background music on a rainy night when I’m working and the music industry can fuck off.

47. IO Earth- New World: The band’s website lists them as symphonic-art rock that includes styles such as rock, ambient, jazz, classical, world, dance, progressive rock, celtic, folk, contemporary, & metal. Let’s just call it “blender rock.” It’s a double disc you cannot sit through in one listen. Hell, I can’t listen to it all in one day. They need to reign it in a bit, as they lose me on some of the abrupt transitions. Of course, the moment they do that is when they loose what makes them unique. Props to the guy in video for giving that woodwind hell.

46. Pressure Points- False Lights: This is pure old-school Opeth worship. In fact, a few have asked why they should bother when they can just listen to old Opeth. I fucking hate that argument. You listen if you enjoy a style that is no longer being done by the band you loved that made you fall in love with it in the first place. That said, you better bring your “A” game if you are going to pull this off. They did.

45. Art Nation- Revolution: Melodic rock may have just found the next big thing (relatively speaking of course). Any fan of Eclipse, W.E.T., or a gazillion other Swedish AoR bands needs to grab this with zero hesitation. No need to analyze the musicianship, productions, lyrics, or any other serious shit. Just crank it up, grab a beer, and wish it was still 1988.

44. Ram- Svbversvm: Ram is straight up no frills, true heavy metal. After a lackluster previous release, I wasn’t expecting much, as my days of denim and leather have been replaced by cargo pants and soft cotton. I’m rather pleased to announce I got my ass kicked with this release. Fans of Judas Priest and Mercyful Fate should be teetering on the edge of their seat. I’d also like to point out the excellent old-school vocal approach of Oscar Carlquist. He would have fit in perfectly with Metal Church back in the day. Regardless of the praise I give this disc, the album title still sucks. Thank goodness for the copy/paste option.

43. Sound Struggle -Rise: The band lists Meshugga & Prince as some of their influences. Fair enough. This was a DIY release from a group of Berklee lads so you know the musicianship is going to be off the hook. It also means you are going to get some gloriously fucked up & pompous madness in the vein of Native Construct. What really elevates this for me is the outstanding sax play throughout the disc. It smooth, jazzy, and just downright sexy in places. I also did the funk vibe sprinkled here and there as well. Sadly, the vocals are basically an afterthought. It’s a 50/50 split of crappy grunts and below average clean singing. You need to at least stick with the clip until 2:30 and then the good stuff hits.

42. Revolution Saints- Revolution Saints: Yes, Deen is a world class douchebag. I won’t bother listening to anything he does in the future. However, I enjoyed the hell out of this long before he earned my eternal contempt. Plus, it’s not fair to penalize Jack & Doug by omitting it. The thing that amazed me the most is they were able to sound like an exact amalgam of what you want from the three: Journey, Damn Yankees, & Bad Moon Rising. The guest appearances from Arnel & Schon were perfectly executed as well. Once again, Deen can still suck it.

41. Universe Effects- In the Haze that Surrounds Us: Before reading further, please refer to the description I posted for #46. Thus, you can bitch about them sounding like Dream Theater or you can embrace they sound like Dream Theater. Regardless, you have to admit these boys have some serious talent. I’m hoping they stretch their wings a bit next time and develop more of a unique identity that will get their name out more. The only caveat is the vocals need to be strengthened & accent polished. Of course, everyone has been saying that about Labrie since 1992.

40. Powerwolf- Blessed & Possessed: Powerwolf are fast becoming the AC/DC of power metal. You already know what to expect before you hit the play button. I have zero problem with that. They still write some of the most grandiose choruses in metal. Every song takes the anthem approach. Also of note is Atilla’s vocals continue to evolve towards the theatrical approach compared to the early days. They remain on my short bucket list to book for the fest. Don’t think I haven’t tried every year lately.

39. Damnation Angels- The Valiant Fire: I said it once, and I will say it again. Will composes the best orchestrations in metal just short of Tuomas from Nightwish. This album was a nice step forward from the original as Pellek pulled back on the histrionics. The band was really coming into their own with this solid release of smooth, symphonic metal. Sadly, Pellek’s departure came at the shittiest time possible as they just lost every bit of steam without being able to promote the release.

38. Queensryche- Condition Human: "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn." I figure I may as well join in now as it’s rather obvious The Great Old One’s return is right about the corner with the Ryche returning to a best of the year list. Seriously, I would have ranked it even higher if they would have dropped some of the modern, down-tuned riffs that will never be Queensryche to me. The title track with its homages to the the Mindcrime disc is glorious. Btw, that Todd guy can sing his ass off.

37. Riverside- Love, Fear, & the Time Machine: I have a distinct pattern for Riverside releases. I pretty much hate every other one. I couldn’t stand the “retro” vibe of the previous release. I’m totally on board with the smooth, dreamy style of this one though. It’s MELLOW. The band continues to lose what little “metal” aspects they had in their music and that’s fine with me. I do want to point out that the first song, “Lost (Insert pompous prog title here)” would have fit comfortably on a Pearl Jam album. And I say that as a huge Pearl Jam fan.

36. Cain’s Offering- Stormcrow: It takes a hell of a lot to get me excited about speedy, symphonic power metal these days. In fact, this is the only disc of this nature I enjoyed this year. The only critical thing to my enjoyment of this style is the chorus work. They are fantastic as Timo is given the chance to breath a little without forcing it. The perfect example is the title track. That is an awesome vocal hook.

35. Magnus Karlsson’s Freefall- Kingdom of Rock: Magnus is arguably the best songwriter in the melodic rock/metal universe. His consistency is rarely seen. Thus, I continue to enjoy his all-star vocal projects while my interest wanes in similar projects. The reason is that Magnus knows how to write to a vocalist strength instead of just writing a song for them to sing. The perfect example is “When the Sky Falls” featuring Tony Martin. That song fits perfectly in Martin-era Black Sabbath, complete with a fantastic chorus. The same goes true for Jorn and his fondness for the fondue. You get the drift.

34. Native Construct- Quiet World: I can essentially say the same thing about Native Construct that I said about Sound Struggle. The difference is this is a much more polished work and the vocals are on a different level. The melodies go from the sublime to the growls. We hears some Queen. We hear some blast beats. Hell, we even hear that in the same song. The bottom line is this is a fresh, innovative band that deserves your respect. You may not be able to latch on to a melody due to the aural chaos involved, but you should appreciate the talent it takes to construct it.

33. The Murder of My Sweet- Beth Out of Hell- I would have skipped this release entirely if not for Marc (https://www.facebook.com/MetalheadsForLifeOrg), pointing it out. It’s a 70+ minute concept album, complete with cheesy narration at times. However, the music is catchy as hell symphonic metal with stellar vocals courtesy of Angelica Rylin. Don’t come looking for heaviness or intricacy. Stay for the killer hooks. Fans of Delain (*cough*cough*) should take note.

32. Blind Guardian- Beyond the Red Mirror: Blind Guardian put me on the power metal path. I will forever hold SFB, IFtOS, & NiME as the apex of the genre. I cannot fault the band for continuing to progress and become more intricate as time goes on. What I cannot do these days is wrap my head around the songs individually like I could in the past. It is so dense and layered it overwhelms my senses. It is the damnedest thing, as I love the music, but cannot listen to it straight through. It’s exhausting. Bring on the orchestral album!

31. Ghost Ship Octavius- Ghost Ship Octavius: This is a tougher one to classify what I really thought about it. It’s melodic prog, but with a ton more balls than the norm in the genre. It has modern elements, but not quite enough to choke you on edgy riffs. It just hits heavy at times without the need for slaughtering goats. This is a band to watch in the future.

30. Serious Black- As Daylight Breaks: There is a steep cliff between a good melodic power metal disc and a shitty one in my world. Fair or not, the difference is a great chorus & vocalist. Check mark for both. That’s all I ask and want in this genre. They are going to slay at the fest.

29. Caligula’s Horse- Bloom: Let it be known that the new wave of alternative/emo prog has officially reached its apex with this release. I may catch some hell for saying it, but “Bloom” works for me because it is more accessible and just down right fluffy at times. I just don’t deal with the typical “I hate my life & like being pretentious” approach from similarly styled artists. Another plus is that it just feels instant and concise as opposed to looking at the clock trying to get to the end. I’ll take 45 minutes of excellent songwriting over 70 minutes of obtuse diatribes any day.

28. Solution .45- Nightmares in the Waking State: Part I: I have to admit I am rather burned out on melodo-death these days. I don’t think I gave the new Soilwork more than 3 spins. However, I’m in for anything Christian sings on. You know the formula by now....riff, growl, clean, lather, repeat. This album works on any cycle.

27. Subterranean Masquerade- The Great Bazaar: This has to be one of the most under-appreciated prog metal releases this year. It is a truly dense listen; full of psychedelia, a heavy dose of middle-eastern strings/elements, early prog rock, jazz, and more. Hell, there is even a clarinet featured in one tune. Prog fans need to wake up and pay attention. Side note- majority of the vocals are handled by Kjetil Nordhus of Green Carnation.

26. Gloryhammer- Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards: Those with a prog stick shoved up your ass, move along. Nothing to see here. For those of us that like to ride on dragons and swing a sword on occasion with an ale in one hand, saddle your bitch up. The Gods of Gouda have returned with an release that can only be described as EPIC! Grab your Green Lantern action figure and raise a glass of intergalactic mead to the boys. This is how you enjoy power metal. Astral hammer time!

25. Enshine- Singularity: It’s hard to refer to this as any sort of death metal just because of the growls. The music is lush, dreamy, and thick with a space type atmosphere/vibe (think Pagan’s Mind). They throw the word “doom” around in a few descriptions, but I just don’t hear that. If you enjoyed Atoma from a few years ago, this is essential for you as Jari Lindholm handles the music on both. Even those that cannot handle manly vocals should at least give it a shot.

24. The Paralydium Project- The Paralydium Project: This was actually the most impressive debut of 2015. I just couldn’t rank it higher since it was only an ep of 3 songs. Not only do they play my favorite old-school type of melodic prog (a la Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder, etc), but they add in some modern riffs here and there so it sounds fresh. These songs are just damn near flawless and catchy as hell. There is a roster spot waiting on this band in Atlanta once they have a full release ready.

23. Eclipse- Armageddonize: There may be a million Swedish melodic rock bands, but Eclipse stands at the top of Krebnekaise (google it, you lazy bastards). The one-two song punch to start the disc is on par with any release this year. There really is no need to analyze an AoR disc to me. Just enjoy the hooks galore.

22. Zierler- ESC: Beyond Twilight fans are already familiar with the talent of Finn Zierler. He returns and surrounds himself with some amazing talent (Per Nilsson, Bobby Jarzombek, Truls Hagen, & Kelly Sundown Carpenter). Finn’s version of progressive metal is twisted, dark, semi-technical, and ambitious. The difference is he doesn’t cross the line into the fucked up world of avante-garde type stuff with ESC and alienate the average “prog” fan (don’t get me started). The complex musicianship is the star here though. Forget singing along with this stuff.

21. W.A.S.P. - Golgotha: Let’s get it out of the way up front. Blackie is still a card carrying member of the total douche nozzle club regardless of his born again beliefs. Regardless, he still remains one of my favorite vocalists of all time. Let that sink in. It’s not about range or power. It’s about the passion, drama, and emotion in the vocals (a Blackie and Tom Englund duet remains my holy grail). This release joins “The Crimson Idol” and “Still Not Black Enough” on the dark, serious, and friggin’ awesome level of their discography. I cannot really argue with the guy that posted the title track sounds like a religious Meatloaf. I dig Meatloaf.

20. Kiske/Sommerville: City of Heroes: I originally had never thought anything more of them previously other than being a heavy Captain and Tennille project. Instead, this is highly polished melodic metal courtesy of Magnus Karlsson that goes down easy on the palette. It’s Allen/Lande without Allen & Lande. Amanda sounds fantastic and Kiske lovers/haters already know what to expect. As an added bonus, Magnus continues his time-honored tradition of working with vocalists that wear sunglasses indoors.

19. Borealis- Purgatory: Let’s just get the elephant out of the room now. Tell me the first thing you didn’t think was “Evergrey” after you hit play. Hell, perhaps a bit of Symphony X after you finished the disc as well. No complaints from me! This is a rather impressive leap from the previous album as the band appears to just now be hitting their stride. I would be remiss to leave out the fantastic vocal performance of Matt Marinelli. He bares his soul on “Darkest Sin” and leaves his mark.

18. Widek- Journey to the Stars: Man, hell freezes over this year as I place an instrumental disc in my top 20. It takes something special for me to enjoy instrumental metal. It has to be more than just wankery. It has to be a song without vocals. That is far harder to do that it sounds. Widek is a one man band out of Poland that takes us to into outer reaches of space with a nice list of guests. The atmosphere is very similar to Enshine minus the growls.

17. Vanden Plas- Chronicles of the Immortals: Netherworld Part II: Bands like Vanden Plas, Kamelot, Symphony X, etc really don’t need to be introduced. You just want to know if it sounds like the old stuff or if it is better than the last release. The answers are “no” and “yes.” The transition to a full blow prog theatrical band is essentially complete. This band can do no wrong in my eyes regardless of the change, but it wouldn’t hurt my feelings if the crunch came back a bit more often than 1-2 songs.

16. Orden Ogan- Ravenhead: Orden Ogan reside in my current Top 5 current power metal bands. They take just enough of the old Blind Guardian sound and then add their signature melodies. The vocal harmonies are just gorgeous and produced perfectly. The selfish bastard in me wants a full disc of songs like “A Reason To Give.” It ranks #2 on the song list this year.

15. Ascendia- The Lion and the Jester: Shocker this is on the list, eh? This outstanding prog/power hybrid rises above the crowd for two reasons: 1. They know how to write a hook. 2. The vocals of Nick Sakal. All it took was the first few lines of “At the End of It All” to make me a believer. The prog/power crossover potential of this band is enormous as the music is neither simple nor complex. It simply twists and turns over various styles. Bands should take note that building intensity and crescendo in your music will earn you bonus points in my world every time. Ask Asendia how to do it.

14. Voodoo Circle- Whiskey Fingers: I have only had this a few weeks and have no problem ranking it this high. There aren’t too many bands worth a shit doing the classic rock/blues style that I grew up on these days. Thankfully, the guys dust off the Zepplin/Whitesnake melodies and bring back the glory years of that era. These are just beautifully crafted songs. Alex is quietly taking aim at one of the best guitarist on the planet in my book. I will say the only thing keeping this from Top 10 is that I became frustrated as hell in a few passages. The tempo and Readman’s Coverdalesque vocals teased a crescendo only to fall back to a slower melody. Fuck that. Let it loose, boys.

13. Moonspell- Extinct: I have always enjoyed Moonspell from a distance. I just have never embraced them for whatever reason. However, I am totally down with the Type O Negative + orchestral elements (Dimmu meets Orphaned Land?). I thought about painting my fingernails black after hearing it.

12. Teramaze- Her Halo: The Aussies return as almost a different band. It’s a new vocalist and new vibe. The thrash elements are gone and have been replaced with a smooth as a baby’s ass melodic prog sound. The vocals & guitar are both monsters. It would be a crime for any fan of Seventh Wonder to not check this disc out.

11. Nightwish- Endless Forms Most Beautiful: I wanted to embrace the dark side and let the hate flow through me. Turn Floor loose, damn it! I couldn’t do it. I just enjoy damn near everything about Nightwish regardless of what style they choose to run with. Nobody does orchestrations with a bounce better than Tuomas. Marco is used just enough to make you want more. Floor sounds wonderful, even if restrained from her usual vocal fire. It doesn’t hurt I’m a Troy Donockley fanboy that follows his Celtic pipes everywhere as well.

10. Shinedown- Threat to Survival: Sometimes, I just want nothing more than to get my ass kicked by some good old rock. Shinedown are the absolute best rock band on the planet currently. They will never top “The Sounds of Madness” (that’s a desert island disc for me), but I continue to sing along with damn near every tune they put out. Brent has some serious pipes regardless of what style he uses (and it does vary all over the place). On a side note, I fucking groove the hell out of the mosh footwork from the video while cooking. I got that back-kick & bounce shit down pat. My dog will vouch for it. “CUT IT!!!”

9. Pyramaze- Disciples of the Sun: The biggest compliment I can pay this disc is the choruses stuck in my head faster than any other release this year. I’m convinced it was Terje’s soaring vocals more than anything. The title track alone had me going for the stratosphere in the car when I typically stay in the ditch. While not truly sounding like Anubis Gate or Pagan’s Mind, I cannot help but get the same sort of feeling from them. It’s a very distinctive Scandinavian prog/power sound.

8. Amorphis- Under the Red Cloud: This makes six straight kickass releases since Tomi took over on vocals. This is the best since Skyforger. The melancholic grooves just mesh perfectly with the clean vocals, even augmented further when the growls appear. Amorphis have developed such a signature sound that I don’t care if they ever change styles or experiment again. I enjoy this too much to care.

7. Karnataka- Secret of Angels: This is such a fucked up year for any preconceptions of what should be in my top 10 list. A prog rock disc with female vocals comes out of nowhere to kick my ass based on the strength of the 20 minute title track alone (think Loreena McKennitt goes bombastic). It’s my song of the year by a wide margin. I get chills at the transition near the 3:45 mark and the EPIC ending. The album is not a one trick pony though as the beautiful melodies continue through out. It doesn’t hurt to have Troy Donockley playing the pipes either.

6. Melechesh- Enki: A review at the Angry Metal Guy website described the band as “Sumerian blackened thrash goodness.” I like that. Think of it as a pissed off Orphaned Land. What I love about it is the album breathes instead of just pummeling you. For example, there is a beautiful 8 minute instrumental that leads into 12+ minutes of fury to close the disc. This one also contains the best neck-breaking riffs I heard this year.

5. Earthside- A Dream in Static: Let the following phrases sink in: debut album, modern prog, U.S. based, & instrumental. That is normally a recipe for musical ass in my world. However, the four tracks with vocals stand toe to toe with any prog metal I heard this year. That doesn’t mean jerking off with the guitars or keys. That means actual songs. It was through those songs I learned to embrace the rest of the disc without vocals. Now, I have to be honest. Part of the reason I fell in love with this disc is due to the vocals from Lajon Witherspoon of Sevendust on his one song. I still get chills every time I hear it. I could only imagine him being the full-time vocalist.

4. Symphony X- Underworld: Just to give you an immediate reference on my love of this disc, I believe it to be the best thing they have released since long forgotten (and I mean totally wiped off the face of the earth never to be heard live again days of the amazing “V”). The next question all “mature” SX fans want to know is just how much angry Russ is present. He is a bit irritated here and there, but we are long past the need a therapist days of “Paradise Lost.” “Underworld” represents a very nice hybrid between the old prog days & the recent heavier stuff that brought in the new crowd. Works for me.

3. Kamelot- Haven: What Kamelot has done amazes me. After twenty years, the band is at the top of their game, wildly popular with crossover ages/audiences, and releases monster disc after monster disc. “Haven” seems even more polished in the song-writing department than its predecessor, but adds just enough experimentation to expand the Kamelot universe. Consider the industrial riffing (think Pain) of “Revolution” before you mistakenly think the band hasn’t progressed. Once I made a top 10 list, I checked out my play count on each. I had no idea Kamelot ranked so high. I just kept going back to it without even realizing it.

2. Kingcrow- Eidos: Come on. You knew this would be near the top before you even started reading the list, didn’t you? The highest compliment I can give the band remains, “Who else sounds like Kingcrow?” Nobody. I can tell within seconds of the music starting that it is Kingcrow. It’s a bloody crime the band still hasn’t received the recognition they deserve from the modern prog audience. Surely, you can only listen to what “Progressive Magazine” says is good for so long before you expand your horizons. “At the Same Pace” comes in as my #3 song of the year.

1. Shattered Skies- The World We Used to Know: A band with djenty riffs at the top of the list. WTF?!? I told you it was an odd year. So how did this work? It was because they took those riffs and combined it with the old school melodic prog approach with one hell of a vocalist (think Michael Eriksen). I also fell in love with the slower tunes as well thanks to the soulful and warm guitar tones I just don’t find that often these days. Here’s some news for you. I had them booked for Atlanta next year until they parted ways with their singer back in the summer. I’m hoping they add some bonus tracks and put out a 2016 reissue, “The Vocalist We Used to Know.”

Last edited:
what no Slayer???????? Can;t believe Eclipse is only #23. Quite a few on your list that intrigue me that I will be checking out.

oh shit son, you did not just diss doom metal. Them be fighting words. Seriously though, if you had asked me 3 years ago I would have expressed a similar opinion on doom but then I made the plunge I haven't looked back. The realms of Death Doom and Funeral Doom in particular are a natural fit for prog fans if people would just give it a chance, some of the most interesting and progressive music/bands has been coming out of those scenes since the early 90s.

I'm surprised Arcane didn't make your list. I remember you making some pretty positive comments about it early in the year.

I'm kinda shocked that the latest Leprous didn't make the list. I do think the album kinda peters out a bit, but the first few songs are excellent.

I do find it funny that Widek made your list. I almost started a thread about him earlier this year when I ran across his Bandcamp page, but I know how instrumental acts go over here typically.

And Karnataka is usually excellent, in whatever configuration the band is in. Basically they've been in a lot of flux since tossing most of their band members back in about 2004. In the past decade they've had three major lineup changes and two albums, but still manage to make good music. The latest singer seems to break the mould a bit by being a bit more operatic, but if you like this album, it is worth perusing their back catalog.

I hope that Shattered Skies lands a new vocalist. I had assumed (correctly) that you had booked them for next year until they parted ways with their vocalist. I was really looking forward to them, and hope they can make it to the fest in 2017.

Kingcrow, Symphony X, Amorphis, Pyramaze, Vanden Plas, and Nightwish also had solid releases this past year. The newcomer this year was the Paralydium Project. Surprised the new Chaos Frame didn't make your list.

I'm listening to the new Teramaze album this week and glad to see it on this list as well!

Kudos for sharing your list with the rest of us! :)

Last edited:
19. Borealis- Purgatory: Let’s just get the elephant out of the room now. Tell me the first thing you didn’t think was “Evergrey” after you hit play. Hell, perhaps a bit of Symphony X after you finished the disc as well. No complaints from me! This is a rather impressive leap from the previous album as the band appears to just now be hitting their stride. I would be remiss to leave out the fantastic vocal performance of Matt Marinelli. He bares his soul on “Darkest Sin” and leaves his mark.

I was hoping more people would not be on board with their move to prog. I still like this album, and it actually ranks higher on my list (though no doubt you've heard more albums this year), but it's by far their weakest. The production and vocals improve with each record, but the songwriting doesn't. I guess we won't see them going back to the days of power metal anymore :/

For the most part, our lists match(minus the disks I don't own). I too have Shattered Skies as #1...and I'm absolutely crushed that the vocalist left. I would have loved to see them play PP. (and sponsor them so other people could see the awesomeness too)

Last edited:
Karnataka- Secret of Angels....indeed surprised to see it make the list....and so high....belongs there....it is an awesome album.
A few I will need to check out, including Widek....I like instrumentals to work by.

Thanks for sharing, I always find some unknown gems from this every year. I totally get the molodeath fatigue, but I thought the new Soilwork was very good. Might be worth checking out again if you ever get an itching for the genre again.

I might have to cheat a little on my list since the Black Fate album was released in December of last year after I had completed my list.

Reactions: Mardoch
oh shit son, you did not just diss doom metal.

I laugh at this comment as I look at my next few cd's cue'ed up in my player
Stone Axe I
Mos Generator Nomads
Earthen Grave
Orchid "Sign of the Witch"
Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"

My top 50 will contain some doom for sure! I have about 20 cds to dig through on Glenns list. Some surprises, but also some unknowns

Shattered SKies is on top of my list this year for sure, as is Ascendia. I love that guy's voice, but KSE 'as daylight dies' is a desert island album for me. And yes, the new Slayer is actually a great Slayer CD.

Plenty of stuff I missed this year, apparently. The top 10 releases for me that I'm a bit surprised to see didn't make your list are Gentle Storm and Unleash the Archers. Those both actually might be top 5 for me.

This is the best year for metal releases in recent memory, IMO.

Shoot, so based on your Bell Witch comments, I should give up any hope of having Paradise Lost or My Dying Bride at the fest??