How many people are coming from out of town? (plus reviews of all the bands albums)

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
Enchant, Redemption, and Zero Hour. Any other boardites thinking about making this trip? I just might take some vacation time and fly there for this. Enchant have been a favorite of mine since I was 16 years old (back in 1996!). In a way you could save I've "grown up" with Enchant. They, along with Dream Theater, were my first "progressive" bands I got into along with Rush and Yes.

And Zero Hour I have been enamored with since 2000. And if anyone wants to AIM me at siberiankh I can send you an older hour long audio interview I have with Jason and Troy from my college radio days. It's actually a pretty good interview.

I also figured I'd post these reviews of Enchant I've written over the years to give some of you an idea of what they sound like. And all this review posting makes me wonder -- what is taking these boys so long to pen their next album? :)

Enchant
San Francisco based Enchant are one of the many progressive rock bands that openly dismiss their progressive rock status. After all, “progressive” isn’t exactly the coolest label to be given when hoping for a radio hit (yet lately the band doesn’t even seem to be trying for one!). Regardless, they dish out tasty melodies, catchy vocal hooks with Ted Leonard’s soaring melodic voice, heartfelt lyrics, and passionate guitar solos courtesy of Doug Ott who hits the perfect note every single time. Their first three albums are among the finest progressive rock I’ve ever heard. From 1998 to now, however, Enchant have morphed into a dryer more “mature” and “seasoned” rock unit, integrating modest aspects of industrial and alternative. Their more modern sound doesn’t bother me on Break (1998), but their 00s albums are a smidge bland compared to earlier works.
A Blueprint of the World (1994)
Score: A

Enchant's debut is utterly shocking. Taking note from progressive rock legends Rush, Enchant’s songs are never convoluted or overly difficult to interpret – just heartfelt and beautiful. While each song is moderately complex, it’s the uplifting melodies and lyrics that make Blueprint stand out. “The Thirst”, "Oasis", "Night Time Sky", and “Enchanted” are the lasting classics – driving melodies, complex chording, and intense percussion by Paul Craddick (who is also an amazing songwriter). Enchant made a name for themselves on many different levels with this album. With tasty melodies and lyrics, fans of Rush and Marillion should immediately check these guys out! A / 95

Wounded (1997)
Score: A+

Just when I thought this band couldn't possibly get any better, they release Wounded – an album with a more personal approach, bringing deeper more meaningful songs. Some of the best lyrics of any album in my collection are on here, as well as my favorite guitar solo ("Pure"), and one of my all-time-favorite songs: "Hostile World."… with that pimpin’ bass and a powerful chorus. For some reason, this album’s nine masterful songs strike a chord with me on a very personal level: both lyrically and melodically. I highly suggest you listen this album for yourself, however, as emotions are entirely subjective. But in my view, progressive music doesn’t get much better than this. A+ / 97

Time Lost (EP - 1997)
Score: A-

This album was originally meant to be released as an EP containing extras from the Wounded sessions, but Enchant couldn't stop at a simple EP. They decided to put a few cleaned up originals from before their debut as well. Many consider this to be Enchant's greatest work; the Wounded extras are amazing, especially "Blind Sided" and “New Moon.” But to these ears, Enchant's superior works are still on Wounded. The guitar riff to “Blind Sided” has the same riff as Stone Temple Pilot’s hit song “Flies in the Vasoline.” I’m especially glad the band included "Interact": a ten minute epic Douglas Ott wrote before Blueprint. That epic has some of the best melodies Enchant have ever written; I’m baffled as to why it wasn’t included on their debut! Of all the EPs in my collection, Time Lost is undoubtedly my favorite. Ironically, this EP is superior to anything they have written since. A- / 92

Break (1998)
Score: B

Far from a sequel to Wounded, this is the first Enchant album with an entirely original sound. By this, I mean a more guitar driven modern rock sound with a melodic sense that can no longer be compared to Rush or Marillion. While I certainly respect their courage in doing this, the result is a bit disappointing compared to earlier albums. The new sound is less melodic and complex with a few flat-out weak songs. Yet there is a powerful atmosphere and feeling to Break, with colorful songs like “Surrounded”, bringing a unique—almost surreal—feeling not found on previous albums. Unfortunately, Break starts with their weaker songs like the open chorded bland title track and inferior (for Enchant standards) “King.” But it ends with the classics “In the Dark”, “My Gavel Hand” and "The Cross" which are among the best songs to come out of post-Time Lost Enchant. If my review peaks your interest, look for a version with the acoustic/keyboard driven bonus track “Once a Week” – one of the band finest songs. B / 86

Juggling 9 or Dropping 10 (2000)
Score: B

Juggling is slightly inferior to Break, yet still a solid Enchant release with an undeniably original sound (sans the keyboard riff to “Pain the Picture” – Rush’s “Xanadu” anyone?). It’s loaded with a variety of guitar effects, rich vibrant songs mixing solid hooks and moving acoustics, and immaculate production. In fact, the bass, guitar, keyboards, drums, and Ted’s voice couldn’t have been mixed more perfectly. “Paint the Picture”, “Rough Draft”, “What to Say”, and “Juggling Knives” are the album’s star tracks – mainly because they are pretty much the only songs with powerful vocal melodies. “What to Say” is about a man saying goodbye to his wife and child on his deathbed, and the melodies to it couldn’t be any more powerful – making this a truly remarkable song. The weaker tracks like “Bite My Tongue”, “Elyse” (about Ted’s newborn daughter), and much of “Broken Wave” are mostly bland filler… truly awful songs. Opposite of Break, Juggling starts off great but loses moment quickly. In fact, after hearing the sixth song (“Juggling Knives”,) I usually loose interest in this album with exception to the very end of “Traces” – a powerful piano outro carried by Ted’s passionate vocals. Recommended to fans of progressive music looking for something truly unique. B / 85

Blink of an Eye (2002)
Score: C+

I’ll come right out and say it. After giving Blink of an Eye some serious attention, I won’t be looking forward to the next Enchant album with any enthusiasm. And no, I don’t blame the departure of Craddick (replaced by Sean Flannigan of Dali’s Dilemma) for this, as I could see the direction this band was heading on their previous album. Of the nine songs (and one bonus track available on the limited edition) on this album, only “Under Fire”—with its quirky guitar/bass riff and plush chorus—and parts of various other tunes stand out as anything special. Indeed, there is a sprinkling of fantastic melodies on this album – the fiery solo section to “Seeds of Hate”, chorus and keyboard crescendo to “Flat Line”, and syncopated keyboard riff to “Invisible” come to mind. But the pieces just don’t come together right. “Monday” is arguably Enchant’s worst song, with lyrics as bland and uninspiring as its chorus. Other filler tracks include “My Everafter” and most of “Invisible” and “Despicable.” Dry vocal melodies bring down most of these songs, yet “Ultimate Gift”—the song with the good vocal line—beats it to death. Lyrically, this album deals with heartbreak, love, and self-doubt, with a surprising lack of any profound lines – which are commonly found on previous albums. Perhaps I’m being a tad unfair in my review. But while I respect Enchant for further exploring their unique sound, I don’t find it nearly as melodic, complex, or profound as their earlier works. Better luck next time… C+ / 79

Tug of War (2003)
Score: B+

When rumor spread of a new Enchant album slated for a summer 2003 release on Inside Out, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one thinking: another Enchant album, so soon? The group’s previous release, Blink of an Eye (2002), was a fairly substantial disappointment (at least to me), but I still held hopes Enchant might bring back the captivating magic from the Blueprint/Wounded era albums gently flaking away. And to my delight, the spark is back – despite the band paralleling the course of Blink of an Eye. The music is immaculately composed and more epic (six to seven minute tracks)– with a stronger emphasis on keyboards (courtesy of new keyboardist William Jenkins?) and bass. All the parts meld together beautifully, supported with reinvigorated, bold inspiring lyrics. The opener, “Sinking Sand”, complete with understandably bitter words toward a family member of Ted’s, a soaring guitar lead and piano beautifully arranged (especially the last two minutes where the bass kicks in), gives me chills every time I hear it. Another touching track is the piano driven epic “Comatose” (about a man disaffected with the world) – reminding me somewhat of “Distractions” from Wounded (1997). Other favorites include “See No Evil”—which recalls the ethereal Juggling 9 era Enchant material, but much manages to keep my attention much better, and “Hold the Wind” (with a gorgeous instrumental section – keyboard simulated symphonic/woods, like world music meets progressive rock). Instrumentally and lyrically, I was most drawn to “Queen of the Informed” – where not only do they boldly reemerge as instrumental duelists worthy of the Yes/Dream Theater/Kansas ilk (in the creative sense) but pen lyrics (courtesy of my man Ted) mocking the absurdity of close-minded radical environmental activists. I only wish Ted would have directly confronted the anti-war protesters (the inspiration for these lyrics) like he had admitted as his inspiration in the limited edition version’s liner notes. The vocal melodies are still a touch dry in spots (Ted’s fetish for holding note after every melody gets monotonous – please expand the melodic pallet back to what it was!) and the power chord flury backed by shouted choruses (first introduced to us on Break 1998) is one of the more “modern” appendages of the Enchant sound some gangrene might inspire a cure for. Regardless, this is the best Enchant album I’ve heard since Time Lost. Keep’m comin’ boys! B+ / 88

wow a c for BoaE eh?? thats my 2nd favorite from them. I got into Enchant when Wounded came out, so that will probably always be my favorite...

That would be cool to have you come out to our neck of the woods dude!!

The Bear :p

Wow! Blink of an Eye is also one of my favorites. We do agree on Blueprint and Wounded being their top two, but BoaE isn't far behind @ #3 (sometimes even sneaking up #2 depending on my mood). Blueprint is always #1 for me!

And while I like the material off of Time Lost, I thought it t was one of their weaker ones. Mostly due to the lack of production. Break I thought was different but solid. Juggling 9 is awesome! I thought they were defintely back with that one. Blink soldified that for me. Tug of War was one of the other "weaker" ones for me.

Funny thing about it, even though I can differentiate the releases, I still love them all!! They are undoubtedly one of my favorite bands of all times! If something changes and there is anyway I can make this Mar. 24 show, I will definitely be there!! I can't even believe that I have to fathom the thought of missng it!!!

On the other hand, I've already put in my time at work for the actual festival in May!! I will definitely be there! I was at the first PP and I would've regret had I not. I can't wait -- I have a feeling that the lineup is going to be AWESOME!!!!!

See you there!

im gonna make the drive up from Visalia to this show. Its gonna be great!! Although i will prolly leave before Enchant, i dont know them and have a long drive home. It will be great to hear Redemption and Zero Hour for the first time.

im gonna make the drive up from Visalia to this show. Its gonna be great!! Although i will prolly leave before Enchant, i dont know them and have a long drive home. It will be great to hear Redemption and Zero Hour for the first time.

You should stay for Enchant, your really miss a great show...There is a hotel close by for $59.00 a night or there bouts....

Bear

Wounded is my favorite...but ToW comes very close and was very welcomed after the disappointments since Wounded. l'll be glad to hear the next one.
Wish l could make this show, but l'm not even in the freakin' country. :(

My fav Enchant album is still Blueprint...

I'm coming in from the Canadian Prairies...

(we'll be in LA for the 25th memorial for Randy Rhoads and will be visiting Disneyland etc. This show is a dream come true for me. I guess the stars are all aligning... G3 (Petrucci, Gilbert and Satriani) is playing in LA the Sunday before as well!!!)

Yo Bear!!!

Hey man by any chance can you send me a high resolution of the way you put the Zero Hour logo together on the poster? That could look tight on a future shirt!!! If you can send the white over-lay over black that would be METAL!!!

thanks man.

Jasun

Yo Bear!!!

Hey man by any chance can you send me a high resolution of the way you put the Zero Hour logo together on the poster? That could look tight on a future shirt!!! If you can send the white over-lay over black that would be METAL!!!

thanks man.

Jasun

Sure Jay, let me work on that this weekend :headbang:

Just out of pure curiosity, where are you located now?

Kaliningrad, Russia...a state seperate from the mainland on the Baltic coast. Been here since Sept. of last year. Missed PPVII to come here. A bad thing is...Royal Hunt will be in Moscow & St. Petersburg at the end of this month, but l'll be in Poland then...dammit.

I'm almost certainly going to be at the March show (instead of the May show)... but if I find out that Redemption are playing at the 2 day-er in May, I'll hold out for that one.

I'm coming up from LA either way. If I go in March, I'll be dragging my girlfriend along (who will probably hate it)... if I go in May, it'll be with bandmate/guitarist/good friend guy, who will love it.