Rythm guitar EQ/panning/recording/noob questions

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
I am a drummer, and I have a guitarist friend send me his recordings so that I can play over top of them. I am trying to get a more professional panned sound out of his guitar and I was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction. Currently, his guitar is hooked up to some kind of little box with a bunch of pedals, and then he has a line out going into the line in on the back of his computer. The guitar sound is not bad, but it doesn't have the full surround sound of guitars in recordings i listen to. I was reading that you should record in mono, and then duplicate the track - panning one 100% right and the other 100% left. I have tried this with his tracks, but it still doesn't sound quite right pan-wise. I was also reading that you should use 2 different takes, panning one left and the other right. We are going to try this soon...but is there anything major we are missing out on? I realize that I may need to do some EQ'ing and all that, but I am just trying to get the pan thing down first....any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

you need to have 2 takes of each rhythm track, then pan 100 L and 100 R

if you just duplicate the track it sounds like shit!

do what chdrummer said..

and as far as eq wise...send your guitars to a bus, then for eq usually boost around 8k, cut around 4k, boost again around 800 and if it sounds thin boost between 90 to 100 hz

high pass to 50hz and low pass around 10 to 12k

good look

another quick question...if we wanted to add a lead guitar or bass to this, do you have any general recommendations as far as panning EQ'ing goes for those?

another quick question...if we wanted to add a lead guitar or bass to this, do you have any general recommendations as far as panning EQ'ing goes for those?

Bass in the center.
Lead depends on the track, you can doubetrack like the rhythm and hardpan or, if it is singletracked, it can go right in the middle. Maybe a stereo delay if necessary.

I tried to do mainly what pipaguapique said, and then I used a CD master preset in isotope ozone. Am I going in the right direction? Any tips? Going for a nice good sounding heavy guitar.

Using "mastering presets" isn´t really the way to go, but that´s a starting point (you´ll need to adjust at least the thresholds to fit your mix). I recommend you to read ozone´s manual, it´s a nice piece of reading about mastering for begginers. At least you will understand what each module of the plugin is doing, and then you can check carefully to see what you really need/like and master the thing by yourself (with ozone or other plugins).

About the tone, there´s too much fuzz for my taste, probably use less drive to get some clarity.

i kind of like it, reminds me of old as i lay dying, it's going to need to conform to the mix though that's the only thing you need to consider. good start!