Sörskogen

Thorg

Jan 4, 2006
Did Mikael do any more songs with Sörskogen. Cause I listened to Mordat I Grotten and i like it a lot

also Dan Swanö about Sörskogen

IL: Another band you and Mikael are working on together is Sörskogen. Are there plans to release anything or is it simply a just-for-fun side project you guys are toying with?

DS: Sörskogen is very much Mike's thing. I had just rebuilt my studio and needed to get some live action down there before I started to record my demos for what should later become Moontower (Deadlift note:released 1998). So I invited Mike to try some of his songs and that became "Mordet I Grottan" (The Murder in the Cave). I think Mike is taking it very seriously, it's very much his kind of "heart music".

IL: What does the music sound like?

DS: It's sounding a lot like early Camel mixed with early Genesis. Therefore we strived for a typical 70's sound with the muffled drums and the "dull-cotton bass" and Mellotrons, Moogs, etc. to match the music. It turned out great and people started asking for it. I always discuss the coolness factor of a whole album with that stuff, but now that Opeth's signed to Peaceville things are a bit harder. And now that I've started the giant Unicorn recreation project I will have no time left, I'm afraid! But I know it would rip!

Wikipedia about Sörskogen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sörskogen

Peter about Sörskogen

Tina: I also wanted to ask you a side project between Mikael and Dan Swanö -
Peter: Is it Bloodbath?
Tina: No, no - the other one, Sörskogen
Peter: Ah okay, that's the other one! Well, that was like a long time ago - he'd gone back home and had three songs in Swedish - you know, about where he was born or whatever (laughs) So he went down with Dan and recorded it at his studio at the time. Got drunk and had a good time, that was it. But actually… a part of that project is actually on Damnation - on "In My Time Of Need" there's a little vocal line that is from that project.
Tina: Wow, I had no idea! I heard Sörskogen and it sounded really mellow and proggy.
Peter: Yeah, but that was you know, at the time, it was a totally different thing. A very non-Opeth thing. But now that we had Damnation, it perfectly.

and lyrics in sweidsh and english
Swedish:
En sommar en gång
värmen sveper igenom
vi ler skrattande
men ett lömskt lugn infinner sig
någonstans i skogen
grottan där vi lekte som barn
en sargad kropp i evig sömn
berövad livets gryning

Vem var det som mördade honom
Vem var det som tog hans liv
ingen vet, ens idag

kastar mörker över vår idyll
Ett ljus som lyser ömt
ta oss mot bättre dagar
hans själ vandrar vidare
vi går sakta tillbaka
stigen leder oss hem
dagen har lidit mot sitt slut
vi försöker glömma
mordet i grottan

Vem var det som mördade honom
Vem var det som tog hans liv
ingen vet, ens idag

English translation:
A summer once ago
The warmth sweeps through
We smile, laughing
But a strange calmness take place
Somewhere in the forest
The cave where we played as kids
A harmed body, in eternal sleep
Robbed the dawn of life

Who murdered him
Who took his life
Nobody knows, yet today

Throw the darkness over our idyllic place
Light that shines
Takes us to better days
His soul wanders further
We slowly go back
The trail leads us home
The day is soon to end
We try to forget
The murder in the cave

Who murdered him
Who took his life
Nobody knows, yet today

cover all bases?

Yea another mellow-like album would be good. Not necessarily Damnation style but just with normal singing.

^ also, an album just with growling :lol: although Bloodbath takes the case here..

Anyhow a mellow album would be great but not necessarily under the name of Opeth... But I'd gladly hear something in vein of Sörskogen

uh, didn´t a part of it (the chorus) end up in "to rid the disease" and not in "in my time of need"? I think an album with opeth should be mellow tracks with heavy parts and not heavy tracks with mellow parts, for a change. there does not have to be growl in it in order to be heavy, like in "face of melinda" wich is my favourite opeth track of all time. i wonder how the wilson, portnoy, åkerfeldt projekt is going to turn out... im thinking porcupine tree with a touch of dt and opeth.

:Wreath: said:
^ also, an album just with growling :lol: although Bloodbath takes the case here..

Anyhow a mellow album would be great but not necessarily under the name of Opeth... But I'd gladly hear something in vein of Sörskogen

yes, because damnation and sorkskogen were SOOO different. :rolleyes:

^ haha dude, you seriously got serious issues...

just where have I said they are SOOO different? you claim I'm too stupid to understand you and you can't even comprehend the message behind two uncomplicated sentences? now THAT'S intelligence...

I JUST said he could release songs like that in a side project because from what Mike said, there won't be an Opeth album like Damnation in the near future (not that there will be any Opeth album soon actually)...

Apart from that Sorskogen (and not sorkskogen, mister know-it-all) IS something somewhat different to Damntaion - it's got a lot of moogs and is generally more keyboard-oriented, and it's got swedish lyrics... I wouldn't mind Mike making more swedish songs, because it does sound interesting...

So really, you said something about me making an idiot out of myself - right now the laugh's on you pal...

:Wreath: said:
^ haha dude, you seriously got serious issues...

just where have I said they are SOOO different? you claim I'm too stupid to understand you and you can't even comprehend the message behind two uncomplicated sentences? now THAT'S intelligence...

I JUST said he could release songs like that in a side project because from what Mike said, there won't be an Opeth album like Damnation in the near future (not that there will be any Opeth album soon actually)...

Apart from that Sorskogen (and not sorkskogen, mister know-it-all) IS something somewhat different to Damntaion - it's got a lot of moogs and is generally more keyboard-oriented, and it's got swedish lyrics... I wouldn't mind Mike making more swedish songs, because it does sound interesting...

So really, you said something about me making an idiot out of myself - right now the laugh's on you pal...

the laugh is on me? youre really clutching at straws here arent you? You think the inclusion of moogs, and the language it was sung in makes it different than damnation? youre a pretty foolish boy...

the fact that mikael used parts of the sorskogen song in 'in my time of need' also doesn't help the argument for there being a considerable difference between sorskogen and opeth's damnation.