Sabbat / Usurper /Oct 31 / Skullview/Metalucifer.....

man what a killer show last night. Great turnout...tons of out of towners. People from all over came out to support this.

My only big issue was that they advertised start time at 6. They were not going to release the set times till doors. So people had to get there on time. Well at 5:30 doors were still not open. They opened at 6. King Fowley showed up the run times when we got in. They had Metalucifer as headliner after Sabbat on the listing. First band on at 7. Not a good sign.

Lord Werre opened up. Not familiar with them. Kind of heavy death / thrash. They covered Death "Evil Dead". not a bad band..but nothing I would race out to see again.

Stone Magnum were really tight tonight. The crowd was really into them.

Scythe were setting up and Simon and I went next door to that sandwich shop. Got a drink and relaxed where we could talk and stuff. Went back and Scythe were just finishing up their last few songs. Not a bad band but I just saw them a few months ago.

Skullview came on next. They were top notch. Re-energized for sure. Mendoza did a great job.

October 31 were top notch. At the fest last year they were good but nothing outstanding...last night they upped their game. Put on a hell of a performance and worked the crowd great. It was during their set when the pit got stupid and stuff.

Everyone thought Sabbat were up next and we were outside socializing and when I walked in I saw Metalucifer setting up. They flip flopped I guess. They first song was kind of rocky but then once the second song kicked in it was amazing. Everyone was singing along. By the time they were done it was past 1 am.

Sabbat got on stage around 1:45 am....at 2:10 reggies pulled the plug and shut down the show. Sabbat got like 6 songs. I would have been pissed if this was the band I came to see.

It was great seeing tons of people from the west coast come out. Bunch of Canadians and bunch from Detroit. It was like a mini fest. My only real complaints was the late start time...the mess at the end could have been avoided. Then the morons who were moshing. Other than that it was a stellar show.

Bob touched on most things. Just a couple notable things for me in particular.

1. Lord Werre suprised me. I'm not big on the death/thrash thing, but these guys seem to do it a lot better than most. Only complaint is that one of their guitarists left a lot to be desired in terms of stage presence.

2. Jake and I were having a discussion about this. I really like Scythe on disc, but live Rick is just way too over the top and tries too hard with the "I'm metal" and "down with posers" stuff.

3. Didn't realize how much I missed Skullview until seeing their set. Such a great band and Mendoza did a great job. Quimby is just a monster singer too.

4. I was glad I was able to see October 31 again. I only caught a song or so at Rag unfortunately. So much energy and I love the King's antics. They deserve a lot more love than they get.

5. Metalucifer obviously were the band everyone was there for and it showed. Crowd was big time into them and people even stayed late to catch them. I in particular was glad they played before Sabbat since I had an early morning today and had already seen Sabbat, so skipped out after Metalucifer finished up.

6. Moshing. I've been to a shit ton of shows in various venues. Many times I've been in the heat of battle in the pit. Last night had to have been the worst experience I've ever had in a pit. I don't know if it was due to out of towners or what, but people did not know how to mosh. It actually seemed like people were intentionally trying to hurt others by not just bumping but to keep pushing until one side hit a wall. Additionally, I saw one guy just giving people hard shoves. Even Aleksey, who most know partakes in the pit was complaining about how dangerous it was getting. Fuck, even our own Bob Byrne couldn't take it anymore and started fighting back. After being up close for Skullview and October 31, Bob and I stayed off to the side as we were sick of the bullshit.

I think I saw like 3 fights break out during Metalucifer. Dumbass fucking neanderthals thinking that it's a good idea to throw punches at the security. Smart stuff.