same graphic objects in different artworks

hey, Trav! i'm curious concerning your usage of same graphic objects in different artworks you make. For example, the crumpled leaf in "Silent Waters" compared the one in "The Blue", or the lamp post in "Viva Emptiness", which has much to do with the one in the poster of the movie "Dying God". actually, i'm not prompting for any answer, just observing the fact.

I do that sometimes, sometimes by accident, and sometimes not. You listed a good example, so I'll tell you why.

I make my own "stock" catalogs for common elements like that. I do a bunch of shots of something and make a few standard fixed versions of it to use in things. I might take 20 photos of the lamp and fix up about 3-5 versions of it for use. That way, if I need the same kind of street lamp, I can take one I already shot and fixed up, and concentrate on making the picture instead of spending the whole day going into the city to take a new photo of the same thing. After about 5 years, I might forget which one I actually used before so I just pick the one that fits the best with what I want to do.

Sometimes I might even do that for just a draft, with the intent of replacing it later, but there might be a reason along the way to decide to keep it.

Let's say for Amorphis I had this one dead plant that I took about 100 photos of, touched them up and saved them on my "leaves" disc, threw the plant away, and used a few on the art. Maybe on Novembre I needed the same kind of element so I took another one off the disc, so it might be a different item from the same shot, or possibly a sam one that i didn't notice.

If something it obviously a repeat, and exactly individually tailored to a certain piece, if I use an out take of it, I will make sure I alter or replace it. I've done that with faces too. I might have a face where the mouth is perfect for what I want, and I don't want to shoot a new one because i will never get the same effect in a million years as perfect as the one I already have. SO I might say to myself "well, i've obviously used this before so I better replace all the other parts so it has it's own identity...

Something like that anyway.

Trav

Thnak you for the detailed and explanatory answer and the attention. I especially loved the part with the "leaves" disc. :)
Some months ago, when I bought the "Praises to the War Machine" ltd edition, I asked you on myspace, why the little girl is cut off there, but never received an answer.
That's interesting, too! It in a way alters the whole concept, isn't it?

oh, I might have missed the myspace question. that site is frustrating.

Do you mean the special edition? I don't have it. I think they just took the girl off so it would be a bit different. I don't know for sure. They just asked if they could have the cover file in layers because they might want to have just the boy in it, and I said OK, and gave them the file. :)

strange enough ..! well, I asked you because it's the first of your works (i think) with similar modifying. Nevertheless, the special edition has almost nothing to do with the standard pack. maybe, the word 'book' would best suit in terms of description. "Praises to the War Machine" is one of my favourite works of yours! .... damn it! i want the masked girl in my collection :D