Sammy Hagar And The Wabos

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I wanted to see what kind of reaction I got on this forum by bringing this up. I love Sammy's new disc for whatever reason! Honestly, I've always kind of ignored Sammy's solo stuff, but I heard the new one being played in a local music store the other day. I have to say, I'm diggin' it! :kickass:

What say you?

edgeofthorns said:
I wanted to see what kind of reaction I got on this forum by bringing this up. I love Sammy's new disc for whatever reason! Honestly, I've always kind of ignored Sammy's solo stuff, but I heard the new one being played in a local music store the other day. I have to say, I'm diggin' it! :kickass:

What say you?

I say that I don't know anything abouy Sammy's recent solo stuff, but some of his pre-Van Halen solo records were great! Standing Hampton and VOA kicked ass. Hooray for the Red Rocker!

Ken

I had heard he does 2 country music covers on the new disc. Is this true? If so, I don;t think I will be getting this. I have enjoyed Sammy's solo stuff less and less with each new release since he left Van Halen.

VenomGA said:
I had heard he does 2 country music covers on the new disc. Is this true? If so, I don;t think I will be getting this. I have enjoyed Sammy's solo stuff less and less with each new release since he left Van Halen.

I'm not sure, because I just heard some of it today. From what I can tell, it sounds pretty good though. I don't think he's doing any renditions of Can't Drive 55, but the music sounds like Sammy's.

one is a Toby Keith cover the other I think I heard was a Kenny Chesney cover???

Sammy is one of my favorite vocalists of all time. It's nice to see some folks here giving him due props. He can SING like nobody's business. One of the most gifted singers technically, but also has a very unique and sultry voice.

OdinsCourt said:
Sammy is one of my favorite vocalists of all time. It's nice to see some folks here giving him due props. He can SING like nobody's business. One of the most gifted singers technically, but also has a very unique and sultry voice.

You know, I've noticed that more on this latest release. The guy can actually sing! :headbang:

I STILL go see Sammy everytime he's in town. I was in the pit a coupla month ago. He's one of the FEW musicians I go see that's older than me!! I BELIEVE he has more fun on stage than anyone I ever seen. He's what it's all about to me. Some friends of mine won tix to his birthday party a few years ago - they had a BLAST!!!!

GO RED ROCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris :headbang:

VenomGA said:
one is a Toby Keith cover the other I think I heard was a Kenny Chesney cover???

I have no problem with Sammy covering country songs. If he wants to be the next Jimmy Buffett, more power to him. I think he's the right man for the job. No one has more fun on stage than him and his tequila kicks ass.

Having said that, Toby Keith sucks ass. I've never heard Kenny Chesney but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's probably another one of those five-a-clock shadow, sleaveless shirt wearing country tools that have been so popular since achy breaky heart. If he wants to cover country he should cover somebody cool like Steve Earl, Jerry Jeff Walker, or Joe Ely.

Sammy just slipped a notch in my book.

TXHOSER said:
I have no problem with Sammy covering country songs. If he wants to be the next Jimmy Buffett, more power to him. I think he's the right man for the job. No one has more fun on stage than him and his tequila kicks ass.

Tequila goodness aside, I was going to make the same comment. Hagar refers to Livin' It Up as a 'lifestyle record,' and is very much on the level about it not being too heavy. After about two spins I really started to think it's full of a somewhat kicked-up JB vibe. And yes, there really is no one that works a crowd from start to finish like Hagar.