Sample of a Carvin MTS3200 tube head. Any good??

Thanks!

Double tracked, that's right!
I will quad track it for sure, see what difference it makes. Never done it before. I'll post a new clip when it's done.

I got the cab from a friend, just to try it. Makes a hell of a difference compared to the Carvin 4x12 cab. Would you prefer the V30's instead?

This is very different. Not really in a bad way. It's very refreshing to hear this as a heavy tone. I like the grind of it also. I don't know how long it would last though before it starts to get to me if at all. If the songs are good I think it would be cool. It would definitely give you your own identity and make you stand out from everyone else which is a good thing. It might be worth hanging onto for a while longer.

it's clipping... get the volume down from the master fader a bit so it's doesn't clip... nice tone!

sound pretty decent and useful depending on the band's style

i found this amp selling at a local store for a very good price... 60% less than a 6505

what carvin cab you got? isnt the one with v30 right?

and if u switch to the v30 in the carvin cab? i think it would be a good idea.
i tested this amp with a 2x12 v30 and it sounded very good. didnt have the chance to record, too bad

I dig it:headbang: Its different in a good way, keep it and save you some cash and get you a Recto or a 5150, that way you can blend the tones

I happen to have a Koch 2x12 with V30's, so besides quad tracking that will be my next test case.

keep it and save you some cash and get you a Recto or a 5150, that way you can blend the tones

That's exactly what I'm gonne do!
:headbang:

So when I got to the studio some hours ago to do some more tests with the Carvin, I noticed I did NOT record the above sample with an MD421 on axis but with an SM58 on axis/45° angled :oops:. I had this mic set up cause I was experimenting with it and when I started recording I assigned the wrong input to my tracks. Anyway, I made some more recordings and put all clips together in one file. I mastered with less gain as well.

Same gear as mentioned above. Changes according the following sequence:

4x12 G12T75, SM58 on axis/45° angled, double tracked
4x12 G12T75, SM58 on axis/45° angled, quad tracked
4x12 G12T75, MD421 on axis, double tracked
4x12 G12T75, MD421 on axis, quad tracked
2x12 V30, MD421 on axis, double tracked
2x12 V30, MD421 on axis, quad tracked

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/recgek/2007-01 All.mp3

No adjustments to the amp or eq, just some mix level adjustments.

The "real" MD421 sounds a lot better than the SM58:Smug:
Quad tracking adds some density and improves the sound indeed:headbang:
I think the V30's sound a bit thin and harsh. Could be caused by smaller size of the cab. Maybe I should have made new settings on the amp/mixer etc.
Sounds at least like there's potential.

Let me know what you think!

So when I got to the studio some hours ago to do some more tests with the Carvin, I noticed I did NOT record the above sample with an MD421 on axis but with an SM58 on axis/45° angled :oops:. I had this mic set up cause I was experimenting with it and when I started recording I assigned the wrong input to my tracks. Anyway, I made some more recordings and put all clips together in one file. I mastered with less gain as well.

Same gear as mentioned above. Changes according the following sequence:

4x12 G12T75, SM58 on axis/45° angled, double tracked
4x12 G12T75, SM58 on axis/45° angled, quad tracked
4x12 G12T75, MD421 on axis, double tracked
4x12 G12T75, MD421 on axis, quad tracked
2x12 V30, MD421 on axis, double tracked
2x12 V30, MD421 on axis, quad tracked

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproductions.co.uk/recgek/2007-01 All.mp3

No adjustments to the amp or eq, just some mix level adjustments.

The "real" MD421 sounds a lot better than the SM58:Smug:
Quad tracking adds some density and improves the sound indeed:headbang:
I think the V30's sound a bit thin and harsh. Could be caused by smaller size of the cab. Maybe I should have made new settings on the amp/mixer etc.
Sounds at least like there's potential.

Let me know what you think!

I liked the sound of this set up the most " 4x12 G12T75, SM58 on axis/45° angled, quad tracked"
I would like to hear the "4x12 G12T75, MD421 on axis" blended with another mic (like a sm57 or 58).
I didn't like the sound from the 2x12 V30 cab.