sampled rooms?

sk8ersick666

I need a beer...
Apr 12, 2009
Jersey
www.myspace.com
Ok, not much of a question more of a clarification (unless i'm totally off), I was reading Ermz's thread about drum mixing and he spoke about "sampled rooms", i'll understand if if deserve a good online bashing if I'm asking something that's been overdone..but after calling me a out, can anyone PLEASE explain to me what that means?

I searched for a bit (not even gonna lie, it wasn't long) and most people seem to already know what they are.

I'm gonna take a wild guess, is that like the samples #4 #5 that come with the Slate pack for all the groups? That was my first guess, but then I was thinking maybe its something more like cab impulses, cause if that's the case, I wouldn't know where to start experimenting.

I certainly use loads of Room mic sample on snare, such as the slate ones you mentioned; but prefer using ones I've made if the studio warrants it, somewhere on the site I made some which are pretty cool.

A sampled room is an impulse, similar to a guitar cab impulse.

Set up a send with an IR processor (I like Freeverb), load a sampled room (I like the Bricasti m7 pack), send all your dry drum tracks to it pre-fader, print, process as you would a natural room :)

I tend to send everything to it except the kick (for metal), I believe this is common practice.

If that's wrong I've been living a lie for a while :lol:

I know some people like to throw a big sounding reverb IR on their room mics if the room is small.

Set up a send with an IR processor (I like Freeverb), load a sampled room (I like the Bricasti m7 pack), send all your dry drum tracks to it pre-fader, print, process as you would a natural room :)

I tend to send everything to it except the kick (for metal), I believe this is common practice.

That's pretty much it. You don't really have to print it, you can just set it up like a normal bus. Also I would send it post fader. As a general rule, you should send effects post fader, so that they retain the balance you've mixed them with. For example, I usually have my overhead faders way lower than my snare drum, but if you send pre-fader, there will be way more cymbal in your room bus than if you send post fader.

You could always just turn individual sends up or down, but you've already mixed your drums, so why do it twice? And then you're bus will also automatically match your mixed drums balance when you adjust it.

That's pretty much it. You don't really have to print it, you can just set it up like a normal bus. Also I would send it post fader. As a general rule, you should send effects post fader, so that they retain the balance you've mixed them with. For example, I usually have my overhead faders way lower than my snare drum, but if you send pre-fader, there will be way more cymbal in your room bus than if you send post fader.

You could always just turn individual sends up or down, but you've already mixed your drums, so why do it twice? And then you're bus will also automatically match your mixed drums balance when you adjust it.

True, the main reason I send it pre-fader and print is because I treat it as if it were a room mic from a natural kit, then compress and mix it in below the kit for ambience to make it seem more realistic I guess.

I'm not amazing at drum sounds though so I understand this may be very different from how others use it :D

Room sample are same thing than close miced drum sample... But with room mic.
Sound stupid but is just that.

Thank you..this seems interesting, i'm checking it out as we speak, a whole new world that I'm gonna be experimenting with. But I'm using SIR since that's what I've been using for impulses, still ok right?..

Look for SIR. Good stuff, and free!

Got it and played around with it a bit yesterday. So it's basically a reverb.....with M + S and Left and Right mics? Maybe I need to fiddle with it more and get the hang of it, but it seemed like I could acquire that effect with any old reverb, IMO.

Got it and played around with it a bit yesterday. So it's basically a reverb.....with M + S and Left and Right mics? Maybe I need to fiddle with it more and get the hang of it, but it seemed like I could acquire that effect with any old reverb, IMO.

It uses room impulses, so you could only load up reverb files in Space Designer or SIR. Yeah - it is like a reverb, but with more possibilities to expand / alter the sound.

What treatment you guys add to the room bus?

i send all the drumtracks to a seperate "room-bus" (sometimes pre-fx, sometimes post-fx) and adjust the send-levels to get a nice "real" sounding drumkit. on this room-bus, i add SIR with a nice room/hall/plate impulse. and adjust wet-dry, time, stereo-width ect. then a eq and a nice compressor-plugin and smash it. maybe some more eq if needed.
then i mix this bus to the normal drum-bus.
and then the tweaking starts.. send-levels, eqs, verb...

i just tried this way some days ago after reading this thread, and i really like the results! adds a very nice glue-effect to the drums.

i tried this way because i coudn`t use the recorded room-mics, because i had to edit the kicks seperatly. (fast sloppy db-playing...)

thanks a lot for this thread!

regards, khe

Mikaël-ange;9845923 said:
Room sample are same thing than close miced drum sample... But with room mic.
Sound stupid but is just that.

Ding.

When you're taking samples record everything, not just the close mikes.