Programing raw drums from homemade samples

Jan 11, 2011
Hi everybody !

In the project that I am currently working on , a couple of parts have been re-written completely AFTER the drums have been recorded .

Luckily , I sampled the whole drumkit at different velocities etc

But i'm just really confused as to how I'm supposed to proceed to "program" those parts from the samples I took , and somehow end up with my raw multitrack to send with the rest to mixing , just like if this part had actually been recorded

Like , let's say I program a simple kick / snare / Hats pattern , I'm gonna want to hear my snare though the OHs and ROOMs , even though the HH mic so I need to use those aswell as just the direct mic.... Does that make sense ?

Also , what if I need to have different cymbals sounding at the same time ?

I'm thinking I should send all the OHs takes from my different sampled kit pieces to a bus and print it , same for the rooms etc but I would just like to have you guys' input on this , surely someone know the easiest way to do it :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who might help ! :headbang:

thats gonna be a whole lot of work and probably won't sound really natural afterwards anyway. i would rather copy a different section and compromise on the drumbeat rather than the sound.
also copying a section from a different song and make it fit to the tempo will probably sound better than the programmed version.
it would be a pita to program the parts with all the correct bleed. especially the cymbals. you would have all the recorded channels times the elements of the drumkit played in the section.

i would copy sections as i don't think the programming would work very good.

You should make some insane ninja routing in the DAW for this purpose.
In theory it goes like this:
1. MIDI source track is sent to a bunch of separate MIDI tracks for each drum/cymbal (you can split MIDI notes to be sent to different MIDI channels at this point, it's done easily in Reaper with midi_note2channel for example)
2. Each of these MIDI tracks is sent to it's own bunch of sampler tracks according to the number of mics that you've used in recording the kit
3. The mic-tracks for each drum/cymbal have a sampler that fires a sample on a particular MIDI note according to the mic/instrument
4. All tracks from the same microphone are sent to the mic-group

If I'm right, you would end up with 1 + M + I + I*M tracks total in your DAW, where M is the number of microphones and I is the number of drums/cymbals. That would make 100+ tracks. Of course you can decrease the number of tracks by removing unnecessary ones like any bleed to the kick or toms.

I actually think of doing a Reaper template for such a thing if I ever have a shitload of free time.

OR you could try to use DrumGizmo

You should make some insane ninja routing in the DAW for this purpose.
In theory it goes like this:
1. MIDI source track is sent to a bunch of separate MIDI tracks for each drum/cymbal (you can split MIDI notes to be sent to different MIDI channels at this point, it's done easily in Reaper with midi_note2channel for example)
2. Each of these MIDI tracks is sent to it's own bunch of sampler tracks according to the number of mics that you've used in recording the kit
3. The mic-tracks for each drum/cymbal have a sampler that fires a sample on a particular MIDI note according to the mic/instrument
4. All tracks from the same microphone are sent to the mic-group

If I'm right, you would end up with 1 + M + I + I*M tracks total in your DAW, where M is the number of microphones and I is the number of drums/cymbals. That would make 100+ tracks. Of course you can decrease the number of tracks by removing unnecessary ones like any bleed to the kick or toms.

I actually think of doing a Reaper template for such a thing if I ever have a shitload of free time.

OR you could try to use DrumGizmo

or simply use sampler with multiple outputs. you can even find some free ones (http://www.vemberaudio.se/shortcircuit.php ) make a group of samples associated with the same drum, routed to their respective outputs.

like a snare: load snare Close, snare OH, Snare to tom-bleed, and set them to have same velocity range and key. route Close mic to output to out 1-2 and OH to 2-3 and tom bleed to 4-5.

Thanks a lot for your answers guys !

It does seem like it's gonna be a pain in the ass ....

For some parts I'm just copying some existing pattern, or maybe re-programming just the kick if the hands part is what I'm looking for (shouldn't be too much of a problem as the kick will most likely be sample replaced and the bleed will be hi-passed everywhere, but there is one where I can't do this ... I'll definately try running this through a multi output sampler !! Or, as it's a quite different sounding part (kinda ambiant, drum / bass / keyboards / effected vocals only) , I might aswell programm a pattern from SDII and purposely have a filtered / electronic / different sounding drum part in this spot , might work !

If anybody else has other ideas, feel free :)

Thanks guys !

PS : as soon as this record is done, I will surely upload all the samples I recorded for the community ! Tama starclassic bubinga , peace snare, masterwork cymbals