Creating Samples from Multitracked Drums

EachHit

ScytheBeast
Dec 21, 2013
Germany
Hello,

I am preparing some Samples I recorded today on my Drumkit.
I did that a few times but mostly for just the Song I recorded and only a Mono Direcmic and a Stereo RoomMic

But today I wanted to create Samples from every Microphone I recorded which I can use for different things.
I always align the Top and Bottom Snare Mic exactly to the Grid.
But how should I handle the Overhead and the Room Mics. Should I also align them to the Grid or what is common?

Heavy Greetz

I think most people group all the tracks and make the cuts at the beginning of the direct track. So if you are making a sample of the snare, use the snare top mic as the visual reference for your cuts. For the end points, usually you are going to use your room or overhead tracks as the reference.

I think most people group all the tracks and make the cuts at the beginning of the direct track. So if you are making a sample of the snare, use the snare top mic as the visual reference for your cuts. For the end points, usually you are going to use your room or overhead tracks as the reference.

That's exactly how I have done it when I was doing my normal Samples which I used only for a Song from where the Samples came from.
So I guess Overhead and Room Samples from a Snare are always a few ms away from the Grid.
Maybe I should just take a look at some of the Slate Samples from Trigger 2 and see where they start.

Heavy Greetz

It all depends on the sound you're after..
If you record a Sn with OH's, then cut them up as you've recorded them. If you cut them up and then align them to a grid, it's going to be a different sound since you've removed the natural delay.

It all depends on the sound you're after..
If you record a Sn with OH's, then cut them up as you've recorded them. If you cut them up and then align them to a grid, it's going to be a different sound since you've removed the natural delay.

Hi,

that was what I was doing before when I wasn't thinking about using the Samples in a different session.
I normally aligned the closed Snare Mic to the Grid, of course with all Drumtracks grouped, and made a mix out of the Snare Top, Bottom, OH and Rooms for Sample use.

So I guess when I would only wanna have a Sample from just the OH's and Rooms that I also align the Snare Top to the Grid, right?

Heavy Greetz

Sorry, I'm not 100% on what you mean.

If you record samples, e.g. a Snare (SN), you don't have to cut and align the sample to the grid.
When you import them into a sampler, it doesn't matter if they were aligned to the grid when you recorded them.
You'll cut when the hit is anyway, that is what will be played as a sample, and aligning them is just an unnecessary step.
You can just cut at where the closed mic'ed SN hit is, on all the recorded tracks, and then save them all as samples.
If you want the OH's and Room samples only, I'd suggest you do as above. They will be naturally delayed.

Some people align the OH's and Rooms to the close mic'ed drums. And it gives a different sound.
In the end, you could first make a kit where it's as you've recorded (not aligned to the closed mics), and then make a kit where you've aligned the samples (if you don't want to align it manually in each project).

Sorry, I'm not 100% on what you mean.

If you record samples, e.g. a Snare (SN), you don't have to cut and align the sample to the grid.
When you import them into a sampler, it doesn't matter if they were aligned to the grid when you recorded them.
You'll cut when the hit is anyway, that is what will be played as a sample, and aligning them is just an unnecessary step.
You can just cut at where the closed mic'ed SN hit is, on all the recorded tracks, and then save them all as samples.
If you want the OH's and Room samples only, I'd suggest you do as above. They will be naturally delayed.

Some people align the OH's and Rooms to the close mic'ed drums. And it gives a different sound.
In the end, you could first make a kit where it's as you've recorded (not aligned to the closed mics), and then make a kit where you've aligned the samples (if you don't want to align it manually in each project).

Thanks for the answer. That is mostly answering my Question.

I guess I kinda described it wrong how I cut my Samples. Normally I record them to the Click of the Song where I record them for.
That's why I align them to the Grid afterwards so I could make sure the Fades I put on are always the same length.
I cut them right at the Beginning and then I align them to the Grid. Most of the time I use a whole bar for the Snare and do a Fade out after Half a Bar. I don't know really why I do that. I thought that would be the way to go.

How do you guys do samples? Do you make a Mix of all the Mic's or do you really make a sample of different Mic Groups like closed Mic's, Overheads, Rooms?

I have Slate Trigger 2 but I mostly only use the Direct Miced Samples.

And yeah I definetly have to pay more attention to my Overhead and Room Mic's. I mostly only put them where I think they should be and neve really try out so many different locations. But maybe I can work on that when we rearrange and optimize our Recording Container.

Heavy Greetz

Thanks,

I think I saw it back a while when all the Courses were rebroadcasted more frequently.
Maybe I should try to view it again. As far as I remember he didn't really spend much time on explaining how handle Samples when you just use Rooms Mic's. But I maybe wrong cause I viewed a lot of Courses and it's hard to memorize everything when you don't try out that stuff.

Heavy Greetz